SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring Ball 2018

geaux_sioux

27 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

This group of quarterbacks has me feeling cautiously optimistic. 

Being that Boltmann is young and is in the hunt, that might be a good sign.  Otherwise I hold to the theory if you have 3 quarterbacks, you have none.  Kind of the same thing when you have 3 goaltenders that aren’t separating themselves from each other.  

2 hours ago, tnt said:

Being that Boltmann is young and is in the hunt, that might be a good sign.  Otherwise I hold to the theory if you have 3 quarterbacks, you have none.  Kind of the same thing when you have 3 goaltenders that aren’t separating themselves from each other.  

I tend to agree with that generally, but not sure in this case.  I think it is great that Boltmann is in the thick of things for the starting position as a freshman.  I think that says more as to how good he is, not that the other guys aren't performing well.  I think we finally have 3 QB's on the roster that can win games for us if 1 or 2 go down.  It may be hard for the coaches to really see how good he'd be until he's in the game due to his scrambling mobility.  I do hope that whomever gets the job takes it and runs with it though.......because having QB controversy all year does kind of suck.....like we had with Molberg and Bartels.   If our #1 goes down this year, we will all cringe for a few minutes......but I think there will be confidence in the next guy in.....not like it has been the past two years where we thought the season was over if Studs got hurt.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, shep said:

How about Cieslek  down to 285? Faster? Leaner?

Cieslek look pretty good at the end of the year, he seemed to get a strong push.  Hopefully he'll but just effective, hopefully more effective at the lighter weight......faster/leaner like you mentioned...but we'll see how that plays out.  

7 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Cieslek look pretty good at the end of the year, he seemed to get a strong push.  Hopefully he'll but just effective, hopefully more effective at the lighter weight......faster/leaner like you mentioned...but we'll see how that plays out.  

The kid is a moose. Unblockable at times. It’s all about health for him. 

12 hours ago, ND1 said:

Hearing CB/ Juco transfer Lenny Nelson is the real deal and will likely start at CB. A very physical CB.. we need these !

We need several 'real deals' in the secondary or we are toast this year.  Our Corners have a shot at being pretty good with a healthy Harris, Holm, Blubaugh, Carter has played quite a bit, and it'd be a good thing if Nelson jumped all of them to solidify Corner.  However, with the safety position, I don't see a scenario in which our peak performance will be anything more than average.  

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

We need several 'real deals' in the secondary or we are toast this year.  Our Corners have a shot at being pretty good with a healthy Harris, Holm, Blubaugh, Carter has played quite a bit, and it'd be a good thing if Nelson jumped all of them to solidify Corner.  However, with the safety position, I don't see a scenario in which our peak performance will be anything more than average.  

We need a miracle at safety. Some guys need to have a huge spring and summer and surprise us all.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, SkoHawks said:

Last year made me wonder if Carter would be better off at Safety, but I've got no support for my opinion. Anyone else feel this way or want to prove why this isn't a good idea?

I can tell you're relatively new as you acknowledge you've "got no support for my opinion." 
This board is made up of people who typically post opinions for which they have no support.

Including me!

But it is a good question. IF the depth looks good (as I think it does now...just my opinion) then he could go there and CB is still covered well.