SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring Ball 2018

geaux_sioux

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

We aren't holding anything back and seeing how much he can absorb. It's going to take some time. At the same time, I don't think he's that far away.

That sure doesn't sound like our Ruddy of the past? Walks and talks, at least like a quarterback coach in this article, maybe there's a bright season ahead, hoping so?

I would sure like to get behind the OC this season right from the get go. Not have all those OC negative comments on here again, would mean a lot of good things happening in Hawks FB.

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

I always liked Ketteringham because even though he was surrounded by a bad Sac St team he still put up some nice numbers. He can also move real well which is never a bad thing.

Just now, UNDColorado said:

I always liked Ketteringham because even though he was surrounded by a bad Sac St team he still put up some nice numbers. He can also move real well which is never a bad thing.

Ketteringham has a lot going for him, from what I've heard, he looks like the guy. Great potential, and with our running game, they could be dangerous. Offensive line does need to step up.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Ketteringham has a lot going for him, from what I've heard, he looks like the guy. Great potential, and with our running game, they could be dangerous. Offensive line does need to step up.

it's nice to talk about the qb but the eyes and talk needs to be about the o-line...if he's running for his life it doesn't matter how damn strong his arm is.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

it's nice to talk about the qb but the eyes and talk needs to be about the o-line...if he's running for his life it doesn't matter how damn strong his arm is.

Correct, and that's how I closed out my comment. If the offensive line can play ball, we'll be a top offense, otherwise, not so much.

• Like 1

I do not give Rudy a pass, but I think there's a night and day diff between Ketteringham, Z and even Boltman from Studs. If K is as good as advertised I think the O will be dynamic especially if the WR's have improved and stretch field.

Yes, the OLine is still key.

I think it's more than fair to say Ketteringham has far more ability than Studsrud. Definitely a bigger arm and he has already put up numbers while playing FCS football for Sac State. 

What happens in UND's system with his new teammates, however, remains to be seen.

The players around Ketteringham (offensive line and receivers particularly) need to be able to elevate their game too. 

Ultimately, my take on this is it's not as bad nor as good as it may seem. 

Last season surely won't happen again as far as only 3 wins are concerned (not as bad).

However, I highly doubt the offensive line play and play-calling from Rudolph will improve enough to take UND into the playoffs (not as good).

Early prediction for 2018 would be 6-5 or 7-4 with no playoffs. Still a disappointment from my standards as I feel UND should always be in the field of 24 for FCS playoffs.

There's no reason why UND, with their history, *facilities, and support, shouldn't be in the top 24 FCS every single season. 

*HPC phase I and Alerus Center are definitely top 24. Locker room, player-coaches meeting rooms, and coaches offices are unfortunately not top 24. HPC phase II would firmly place UND as a top FCS program in terms of facilities. 

On 3/24/2018 at 9:51 AM, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Correct, and that's how I closed out my comment. If the offensive line can play ball, we'll be a top offense, otherwise, not so much.

I think having a more formidable passing attack will help the OL. If we can pass and aren' so darn predictable on offense that will help. Last year young and inexperienced line that was so predictable was easy to stuff the run. Like others I have been frustrated with our OL play the last two years, cautiously optimistic they will be a little better this year. Not betting the farm on it though until I see it. 

On 3/24/2018 at 10:17 PM, shep said:

I do not give Rudy a pass, but I think there's a night and day diff between Ketteringham, Z and even Boltman from Studs. If K is as good as advertised I think the O will be dynamic especially if the WR's have improved and stretch field.

Yes, the OLine is still key.

Keep in mind a QB doesn't need a strong arm nor a good offensive line to execute an effective screen game.  Keaton had some intangibles to do some things in my opinion other than a traditional drop back passer.  That's the part I put on the program, gotta play with what you have.

2018, definitely looking at a QB to take control of the O........but expectations are middle of the road, that way I can easily jump either way without pulling a hammy.

7 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Keep in mind a QB doesn't need a strong arm nor a good offensive line to execute an effective screen game.  Keaton had some intangibles to do some things in my opinion other than a traditional drop back passer.  That's the part I put on the program, gotta play with what you have.

2018, definitely looking at a QB to take control of the O........but expectations are middle of the road, that way I can easily jump either way without pulling a hammy.

Haha that's pretty good way to look at it!

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

Right - can't blame Studsrud's arm on having no screen game whatsoever. 

49 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Miller with a nice article:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/football/4423554-und-football-team-hoping-bring-back-run-stopping-staple#.Wrq7eJ-cajQ.twitter

Article pertains to linebacker depth. I like that the guys seem to have a chip on their shoulders after last season. I'm trying to stay optimistic here.

That goes to show or remind us how bad we were on defense before Bubba.  Last year with 2nd and undersized 3rd stringers we gave up the same amount of yards on the ground as Muss's last year when Ratelle was on the team.  Last year was ugly and made my stomach sick at times, but thank god there is real reason to hope that our run defense will be back to being strong again this coming year.   That's too bad Rodgers can't practice in spring ball, but it will give other guys like Larson some more snaps. 

• Upvote 2