SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. St Cloud

AZSIOUX

SCSU has little to play for other than retaining their #1 rank...not sure how far they can fall if they lose.
Of course, Miami had absolutely nothing to play for this past weekend and they took 5 of 6 points.

I'm guessing we see some domination from SCSU, I'm hoping that UND can sneak out a couple points but it's not likely with how they're playing.

I wouldn't want any other situation for this team as it sits right now. It's time for the Hail Mary. The variables all seem to be favoring UND, as @brianvf said, they are playing a team that already has the regular season championship / #1 seed locked up. UND on the other hand is playing for their playoff lives. Is UND still a long shot? Definitely, but I'd rather this match up, although the odds aren't good, a chance to really improve their Pairwise ranking.

I think UND wins Friday night.

19 hours ago, brianvf said:

SCSU has little to play for other than retaining their #1 rank...not sure how far they can fall if they lose.
Of course, Miami had absolutely nothing to play for this past weekend and they took 5 of 6 points.

I'm guessing we see some domination from SCSU, I'm hoping that UND can sneak out a couple points but it's not likely with how they're playing.

I was thinking the same thing, but the more I think about it, if I were St. Cloud, I would look to put UND down for the count so they don't have to think about playing us in a regional in Sioux Falls.  

21 hours ago, brianvf said:

Senior weekend seemed to motivate Miami, big time. That is another factor here. Lots of guys knowing this weekend could very well be their last at the Ralph. They control if it is or it isn't.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, tnt said:

I was thinking the same thing, but the more I think about it, if I were St. Cloud, I would look to put UND down for the count so they don't have to think about playing us in a regional in Sioux Falls.  

If St. Cloud goes into the tournament as the number 1 overall seed (which it looks like they will) and UND is a number 4 seed (which looks very likely), St. Cloud will get sent to a different region.

3 hours ago, tnt said:

That would be their primary motivation, I think. There's a "Challenge Cup" on the line too. If you're surprised to learn this even exists, you're in good company. SCSU can lock it up with one win.

I expect SCSU will rest any players with nagging injuries. They'll probably put Smith in net for one or both games, but Hrenak will the the #1 goalie from there on out.

5 minutes ago, The Exiled One said:

That would be their primary motivation, I think. There's a "Challenge Cup" on the line too. If you're surprised to learn this even exists, you're in good company. SCSU can lock it up with one win.

I expect SCSU will rest any players with nagging injuries. They'll probably put Smith in net for one or both games, but Hrenak will the the #1 goalie from there on out.

Best record among MN teams?

3 hours ago, runaroundsioux said:

The Challenge Cup is awarded annually to the winner of the SCSU-UND series.

3 hours ago, franchise said:

Ha...I had no idea

It's a trophy that's been around since the 2004-05 season. Something fun for the fans (rather than something that gets skated out on the ice).

Are you curious what the Challenge Cup looks like? Do you enjoy free appetizers and door prizes? Are you looking for something to do before Saturday's game? Please join us for our SiouxSports.com UND/SCSU pre-game event this Saturday, March 3rd from 3:00-6:00 p.m. at El Roco in Grand Forks. I've heard a rumor that Dave Berger is scheduled to make an appearance!

Dave

30 minutes ago, Dave Berger said:

It's a trophy that's been around since the 2004-05 season. Something fun for the fans (rather than something that gets skated out on the ice).

Are you curious what the Challenge Cup looks like? Do you enjoy free appetizers and door prizes? Are you looking for something to do before Saturday's game? Please join us for our SiouxSports.com UND/SCSU pre-game event this Saturday, March 3rd from 3:00-6:00 p.m. at El Roco in Grand Forks. I've heard a rumor that Dave Berger is scheduled to make an appearance!

Dave

Oh great. Now I'll have to pitch a tent outside El Roco Friday night!:D

3 hours ago, Dave Berger said:

Dave

3 hours ago, runaroundsioux said:

Oh great. Now I'll have to pitch a tent outside El Roco Friday night!:D

My band (Downtown Horns) is actually playing at El Roco on Friday night. You should check that out, too!

Dave

13 hours ago, AJS said:

I wouldn't want any other situation for this team as it sits right now. It's time for the Hail Mary. The variables all seem to be favoring UND, as @brianvf said, they are playing a team that already has the regular season championship / #1 seed locked up. UND on the other hand is playing for their playoff lives. Is UND still a long shot? Definitely, but I'd rather this match up, although the odds aren't good, a chance to really improve their Pairwise ranking.

I think UND wins Friday night.

UND will come out flat on Fri, lose, then say after the game "we'll learn from it".  Rinse, repeat.  (Hope I'm wrong!)

16 hours ago, fsioux said:

Hoping Januatuinin is not far behind to be at full strength.

Sounds like JJ is unlikely to play this series. Too bad as he had really picked up his play over the past couple of weekends.

• Like 1