SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 attendance

F'n Hawks

24 minutes ago, Big Green said:

I know we are so afraid of underage drinking.  If you want to sit with the other student you need to sit in that section.  Yes, you can find a sit in the other sections, and risk being kicked out.   Do they allow drinking in the student tall gate lot?  I'm assuming so and I'm guessing there is a lot of underage drinking going on.  What stopping two non-students, one over 21 and the other under 21 siting in a non-student sit and the of age person buying for the one under age?

Name one college where the policy is that alcohol is allowed int he student section?  Why would UND or the Alerus promote a policy that would make it easier for underage drinking to occur?  Like you said, there are plenty of ways to easily get around it. I guess you will have to "sacrifice" a little bit and have to "suffer" not being able to sit in the student section as you ILLEGALLY  drink a beer!! :wink:

• Like 1

Just now, Siouxperfan7 said:

Name one college where the policy is that alcohol is allowed int he student section?  Why would UND or the Alerus promote a policy that would make it easier for underage drinking to occur?  Like you said, there are plenty of ways to easily get around it. I guess you will have to "sacrifice" a little bit and have to "suffer" not being able to sit in the student section as you ILLEGALLY  drink a beer!! :wink:

I don't know any others Universities policy or care.

Just ban alcohol everywhere than.

• Downvote 1

5 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I have mixed feelings about blaming anyone who doesn't want to be at a game. Who am I to say someone else should be at a game that I am into only because I am into it? That said, there could be fewer seats available for students but we aren't selling out anyway.

Same with cheering. Who am I to tell the guy next to me that they should be standing more often and screaming?

Ideally, the product sells itself for the most part.

You bring up interesting comments, maybe I'm one that would be considered over board / over the top by today's PC.

I have: Complained about our poor attendance by students, even just a few posts back.

Made comments about rebuilding the post college age fan base.

Tried to encourage fans next to me to engage at games.

Have suggested on here that maybe even the Dakota Student could spill some ink on the advantages we have with the home field crowd.

As I think through this, maybe I should lighten up. I have no arrogant right to put this pressure on anyone. The Dakota Student comment might work to a degree.

I would guess, usually college support for sports starts when you are a student, that being immediately when you pay your fees. Some will go to the games. Support in a variety of ways will continue for some through AlumniHOOD.  Just WIN baby and make it easy.  If the FB team wins too many games, seats will become a premium at the Hawks' Nest. Then at home games, the students' market share could start to slip.

Putting the student section where it is now is not something that you see a lot a colleges.  The student section where it is now are prime seats that UND could be making a lot more money on.  They already moved them over a section and opened up section 215 a few years ago and UND is definitely benefiting from doing that.  It is a tricky situation.  On one hand, if students aren't going to show up, they could move the student section again and open those seats up to the public for season tickets that would likely sell and look much better to see those seats full.  On the other hand, I don't think a good way to encourage more students to attend games is to take away their seats and move them in the corner.  As been said many times, declining student attendance is not unique to just UND.  Happening everywhere.  I am sure if you looked around the country you would see examples of colleges decreasing student sections or moving them to sell their seats to the public.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bincitysioux said:

As usual, and like others, I was disappointed with the student turnout, but not surprised.  UND really needs to move the two student sections from the center of the field to the North side of where the band sits.  Those center sections are prime real estate that paying customers would happily use.  And it just looks terrible to have that huge void of empty seats in the middle of the field.  

Been saying that for years. Not sure that reducing the student section size is the answer, although I’d be okay with it, but moving the section away from mid-field is a must in my opinion. 

Most college football student sections are not situated at the 50 yard line; just reality. 

• Upvote 4

Might as well move them now, because NCAA rules dictate that students can't be between the 35 yard lines behind the opposing bench during playoff games.  When we start hosting more and more playoff games, they are going to have be in the corner anyways.  They were always moved during playoff games in the DII era, and it caused confusion even then when it was an annual event.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

Might as well move them now, because NCAA rules dictate that students can't be between the 35 yard lines behind the opposing bench during playoff games.  When we start hosting more and more playoff games, they are going to have be in the corner anyways.  They were always moved during playoff games in the DII era, and it caused confusion even then when it was an annual event.

Another quality reason why moving the student section should be done full-time (regular season plus postseason).

All of this bashing on current students.  When I look back at when I was in school and games were at Memorial Stadium....I sure as heck don't think there were more students going to the game then, than there are now.  And back then it was an easier walk to Memorial Stadium, and the games were not on tv where people could just sit in their dorm room or wherever and watch the game like there is now.  There was no Sack City sign or anything like that back then.  It's been a long time since those days, and I don't live in state anymore so haven't been to many home games recently so it's hard for me to totally compare then verses now.  But sometimes I think we sound like a bunch of old people ripping on the current students.....and telling them about how we use to walk to school.....up hill both ways....in the winter.  Sure I'd like more students to attend, but need more of a consistent winner and it will start happening.

• Upvote 2

Someone posted the Saban article about low attendance at Alabama games, here is that link again:  http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24886323/nick-saban-sounds-alabama-students-not-showing-louisiana-lafayette-game

This is far from a UND only issue, it is just how it is these days.  I am curious to see what the Alerus and UND do about this, if anything.

12 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

Will you stop bitching about a half empty student section if it isn't mid field?  Because moving the students to the corner isn't going to encourage casual fans to attend the game...

I'd argue being able to offer seats between the 20's to a casual fan is much more enticing than only being able to offer end zone seats. Huge difference? Maybe, maybe not.

• Upvote 4

33 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

Will you stop bitching about a half empty student section if it isn't mid field?  Because moving the students to the corner isn't going to encourage casual fans to attend the game...

How many students do you think are going to ask/care what yard line the student section is on? NDSU has theirs completely on the end and they survive and show up and have a great time. 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

How many students do you think are going to ask/care what yard line the student section is on? NDSU has theirs completely on the end and they survive and show up and have a great time. 

NDSU also won five championships in a row...

You have to make football an event if you want more people to show up (and see the link posted above, that doesn't even always work). Right now it is not an event. It's a toss up which football team will show up and whether we will have a chance to win. Harassing, intimidating, and shaming people who don't go, don't tailgate, don't cheer loud enough isn't going to do it. Perhaps instead trying talking at work on Monday about how awesome the game was, how delicious the food was, how fun the atmosphere was... Don't bully people into going.

• Upvote 1

Just now, WiSioux said:

You have to make football an event if you want more people to show up (and see the link posted above, that doesn't even always work). Right now it is not an event. It's a toss up which football team will show up and whether we will have a chance to win. Harassing, intimidating, and shaming people who don't go, don't tailgate, don't cheer loud enough isn't going to do it. Perhaps instead trying talking at work on Monday about how awesome the game was, how delicious the food was, how fun the atmosphere was... Don't bully people into going.

So the only thing standing between us and 6 national titles in football is the location of our student section?;)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

I’m not advicating bully anyone to come, which is impossible btw. Throw in the point that @bincitysioux made about playoffs and it’s a no brainer to move the section even if they do start to fill the seats consistently.

• Upvote 1

I am to the point that I don't really care if the students are attending or not.  It would be nice if they did, but it is what it is, and as others have mentioned, lack of student attendance isn't unique to UND.  Fact is most young people today have the attention span of a fruit fly and would prefer to experience life through apps rather than in person.

My point is that those center sections would certainly have more bodies in them if they were available to the general public, so I think they should be........

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Putting the student section where it is now is not something that you see a lot a colleges.  The student section where it is now are prime seats that UND could be making a lot more money on.  They already moved them over a section and opened up section 215 a few years ago and UND is definitely benefiting from doing that.  It is a tricky situation.  On one hand, if students aren't going to show up, they could move the student section again and open those seats up to the public for season tickets that would likely sell and look much better to see those seats full.  On the other hand, I don't think a good way to encourage more students to attend games is to take away their seats and move them in the corner.  As been said many times, declining student attendance is not unique to just UND.  Happening everywhere.  I am sure if you looked around the country you would see examples of colleges decreasing student sections or moving them to sell their seats to the public.

I was wondering how section 215 (my section) came to be. I would be for opening up another similar section for non students. Do this along with reducing prices in the four corners and moving students over one section or reducing student seating by a section.

I think they could start by just opening the top section of 214 to non students.  take that section away, and the students that do come can still get decent seats near the 50.  If they need to take more seats away, do the same with the top section of 213.  The upper sections are about 300 seats each, if I remember correctly.  Typically the students who stay the longest get to the game earlier and choose the seats towards the front, anyway.  So these students wouldn't really be the ones that are penalized.  UND could sell good seats near the 50, and students could still be near the away bench. 

I don't think students standing would be a problem for sight lines, because that upper section is elevated, and the field isn't that close to the seating.

8 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I think they could start by just opening the top section of 214 to non students.  take that section away, and the students that do come can still get decent seats near the 50.  If they need to take more seats away, do the same with the top section of 213.  The upper sections are about 300 seats each, if I remember correctly.  Typically the students who stay the longest get to the game earlier and choose the seats towards the front, anyway.  So these students wouldn't really be the ones that are penalized.  UND could sell good seats near the 50, and students could still be near the away bench. 

I don't think students standing would be a problem for sight lines, because that upper section is elevated, and the field isn't that close to the seating.

It would be close for problems with sight lines, especially those in the front row of the top section, but I think they could check out whether it would be an issue or not.