SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA VS. c.c. SATURDAY GAMEDAY THREAD

iluvdebbies

1 hour ago, JohnboyND7 said:

I apologize to you guys. UND sucked at puck it looks like when I was little and we weren't living in ND, we move back and BOOM! Natty in '97 and 20 years of very good results. I move away in October 2017 and y'all go back to being no good.

and yet we are fine with you moving away, go figure...

Said this to a couple buddies tonight that we've shown the past two weeks, and for the most part all year, we are pretty good defensively. Just need some goals. Need Mash to play like he did tonight the rest of the year. He can be our catalyst.

Two leaders with goals and two others who we need to chip in, did it. Good stuff.

8 hours ago, Gma loves hockey said:

How many of us laughed when Siouxfan in Seattle predicted 5-1 but didn't know which team wins!

Fan player of the game-JJ      3rd star-Gersich, 2nd star-Thome, 1st star JJ.      Radio:  PS doors player of the game-JJ,  rough neck player of the game-Mismash.

For this team to maybe gain some consistency JJ, Mismash and a couple others need to play like last night every night........not vanish for the next 2-3 series. Thome needs to get the start Friday at UNO. IMO Yon and Kawaguchi are the 2 forwards that sit if Jones can go next weekend.

36 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

For this team to maybe gain some consistency JJ, Mismash and a couple others need to play like last night every night........not vanish for the next 2-3 series. Thome needs to get the start Friday at UNO. IMO Yon and Kawaguchi are the 2 forwards that sit if Jones can go next weekend.

Agreed.  Always a Sioux fan but still not going to get overly excited off the win. Have to see some sort of consistency moving forward.  Would be nice to get some more guys back. We’re going to have to score some goals next weekend.

It's hard to know what to make of this team - half the time they look like they can play with anyone, half the time they look like they need a bag skate right after the game.  A nice win yesterday.  There is not much we can do about the total lack of firepower, however, there are some things we really need to clean up if we want to salvage this season. These are things we shouldn't be battling at this point in the year.  Special teams are usually pathetic and cost us games - especially with our tendency to take the stupidest penalties at the worst time.  Intensity - I have never seen a team give up momentum so quickly - we often give up a goal within a minute of scoring.  There is no excuse except lackadaisical play.  We don't have much killer instinct.  I think the goalie situation will take care of itself - it is exacerbated by our lack of scoring and our defense making poor decisions at times.  We need everyone dialed in going forward.  Every time I think that is happening, we crap the bed next game.  It's gut check time.

11 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Goaltending is not this teams issue. 

No, but Cam's play sure hasn't help.  Average, at best and again, it seems he hasn't stolen a game for us this season but he has managed to be the reason we've lost a few this season (along with other reasons, yes).

7 minutes ago, GDPritch said:

No, but Cam's play sure hasn't help.  Average, at best and again, it seems he hasn't stolen a game for us this season but he has managed to be the reason we've lost a few this season (along with other reasons, yes).

Hard to say Cam "lost" us games because 1 of 3 goals was soft. It's not all on him that we can't score more than 2.

As Brandt said both nights, he probably hasn't lost us any games, but he certainly hasn't won us any games.

• Upvote 1

Overall, they seemed a little more aggressive on the PK, rather than just skating around trying to stay in the shooting lanes.

Power play had a couple more options than JUST a one timer.

Hopefully it's a step in the right direction this time and not another disappearing act next week. Jones and Bast getting healthy will be huge, but not if we're down to 20th in Pairwise by then.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, GDPritch said:

Yes he’s been average.  But the special teams is atrocious. I say we focus on that. 

Having watched this team all season so far I don't put the team's inconsistent play on the coaching staff as much as I do the players and their leaders on and off the ice. At some point the players need to own their effort and execution. JJ, Mismash and I'll throw in Gersich can't be so hit and miss. There's others too but those 3 were terrific last night.

Mismash may have set the bar too high last night.  Dominates two shifts, scores two goals while drawing a penalty pretty much ending CC hopes.  I hope he gets more consistent and isn't a "when I care" type player.

This group could win the national championship or lose to Jamestown, and neither would surprise me.

• Upvote 1