SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. CC Tigers - FRIDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

To give you an idea of our recruiting the past two years - there are 5 sophomores in the top 10 NCHC scoring - none of them ours.  Wolanin is our top scorer and he is tied for 20th.  Our Europeans have 4 goals between them.  We can't afford another year of recruits who can't score.  

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Boogieman said:

First year of the new Ralph was the last time that happened.  And they both happened that year.

This was coming of a National Championship and the next year's class included Matt Greene and Zach Parise.  Brandon Bochenski was a sophomore.  I don't see that happening next year.  

• Upvote 1

Seems like even though we don't have blue chippers, we struggle against others that have no blue chippers.  Does CC have a blue chipper?  This team has good players, just seems like they are not playing up to their potential, and definitely not over achieving.  There is no "formula" to a natty, each season has different characteristics and challenges.  Sure you can say couple blue chippers, some lunch pail guys, a couple shut down Dmen, some offensive Dmen, and a stud goalie..   And sprinkle it with lots of speed, some grit, and the knowledge of when to use it.  Sounds so simple....   wonder why everyone doesn't just do that.... (sarcasm)...

Perhaps Berry's strengths are not at the head coach position?

Is there a Natty hangover?

What is the malaise all about, no herbies or garbage pail skates, cause love and friendship is the in thing?

I don't have a clue, I will cheer hard, drink beer, and be ever optimistic...

At least we didn't change our colors to piss yellow and shite brown....

8 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

One other way to look at it is this is just the law of averages sticking its nose in. We were bound to have a down year at some point. We just don't want it to turn into 3 or 5 down years. 

You viewed the Hakstol regime as a failure for not winning the big one.  Now it's "the law of averages" catching up to UND for winning so much?  So was Hak a winner or a loser?  I'm confused...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

You viewed the Hakstol regime as a failure for not winning the big one.  Now it's "the law of averages" catching up to UND for winning so much?  So was Hak a winner or a loser?  I'm confused...

Hak wasn't a "failure". But national titles are what separates the good programs from the great ones. And, fairly or not, Hakstol will always be viewed as our "Doug Woog".

Every great program has down years and/or periods. That is all I was saying. But nice job bringing Hakstol into it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

6 hours ago, Irish said:

To give you an idea of our recruiting the past two years - there are 5 sophomores in the top 10 NCHC scoring - none of them ours.  Wolanin is our top scorer and he is tied for 20th.  Our Europeans have 4 goals between them.  We can't afford another year of recruits who can't score.  

Wonder if Penticton fans complained about Jones not being in the top whatever in scoring last year.  I assume you don’t want UND to recruit Rizzo from Penticton either then.

Kind of lame there's still so much action in this thread after a 5-1 win tonight.

So much trashing of this team from Friday and deservedly so, but look back at everything that was ripped on in this thread... 

Tonight... Thome started and played well, Mismash scored and had an assist, JJ scored twice, we netted two PPGs and Bubbs had the 19-22-14 line together and two of them scored... 

We got everything we asked for in this thread pertaining to this season tonight and this is still going.

Cheers, boys. Nice win TONIGHT. Still controlling our own destiny. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

He was a winner.  Just not an ultimate winner.  

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Kind of lame there's still so much action in this thread after a 5-1 win tonight.

So much trashing of this team from Friday and deservedly so, but look back at everything that was ripped on in this thread... 

Tonight... Thome started and played well, Mismash scored and had an assist, JJ scored twice, we netted two PPGs and Bubbs had the 19-22-14 line together and two of them scored... 

We got everything we asked for in this thread pertaining to this season tonight and this is still going.

Cheers, boys. Nice win TONIGHT. Still controlling our own destiny. 

Consistency, or lack there of, is what is most frustrating thing to me with this team...  we've seen it in the past under Hak and we have certainly seen it in the two most recent seasons under Berry.  I don't know who is to blame but as a fan it is nerve-wracking not knowing what kind of team we will see on any given night.  I hope to see Thome start until he proves he can't... the boys seem to be able to put forth a more competent team effort with him in net.  Remember how we used to dread the Saturday night let-downs?  Now I wonder what is going to go wrong on every Friday.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, willythekid said:

Consistency, or lack there of, is what is most frustrating thing to me with this team...  we've seen it in the past under Hak and we have certainly seen it in the two most recent seasons under Berry.  I don't know who is to blame but as a fan it is nerve-wracking not knowing what kind of team we will see on any given night.  I hope to see Thome start until he proves he can't... the boys seem to be able to put forth a more competent team effort with him in net.  Remember how we used to dread the Saturday night let-downs?  Now I wonder what is going to go wrong on every Friday.

You hit it on the head when it comes to the consistency and I definitely understand that's a big part of why people are so frustrated. I guess I am just doing my best to stay positive and the boys wholly answered the call tonight in a large part of what we talked about in this thread. The recruiting portion of the discussion is a different discussion all together. This is the team we have right now and that team on the ice played pretty dang well tonight. They showed it again that they can hang with the best of em when they play like they did tonight. It has to continue if we want to be watching our team come mid March.

Stay in the moment, SiouxSports. We won a game tonight for the first time in awhile and again, this should give us hope. Cheers to it continuing!

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

You hit it on the head when it comes to the consistency and I definitely understand that's a big part of why people are so frustrated. I guess I am just doing my best to stay positive and the boys wholly answered the call tonight in a large part of what we talked about in this thread. The recruiting portion of the discussion is a different discussion all together. This is the team we have right now and that team on the ice played pretty dang well tonight. They showed it again that they can hang with the best of em when they play like they did tonight. It has to continue if we want to be watching our team come mid March.

Stay in the moment, SiouxSports. We won a game tonight for the first time in awhile and again, this should give us hope. Cheers to it continuing!

Hak's teams were astoundingly consistent over the years.   He was vilified because he did not win a banner.   Week in and week out, year after year, his teams performed at a very high level.  The progress they made in the second half of many years was not a consistency problem.  In fact, I'd say his ability to meld his players into very strong teams was very consistent.

This year's team does not have a great deal of talent at forward.   I still think they are well coached and are a team most other teams would prefer to avoid, but they will have to be lucky to go deep IMO.  One thing's for sure:  they are not good enough to take undisciplined penalties. 

Edit:  I meant to quote willy's post regarding consistency.   I have my own consistency issues. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, burd said:

Hak's teams were astoundingly consistent over the years.   He was vilified because he did not win a banner.   Week in and week out, year after year, his teams performed at a very high level.  The progress they made in the second half of many years was not a consistency problem.  In fact, I'd say his ability to meld his players into very strong teams was very consistent.

This year's team does not have a great deal of talent at forward.   I still think they are well coached and are a team most other teams would prefer to avoid, but they will have to be lucky to go deep IMO.  One thing's for sure:  they are not good enough to take undisciplined penalties. 

Edit:  I meant to quote willy's post regarding consistency.   I have my own consistency issues. 

I've always said that one of Hak's problems was essentially overachieving.  Everyone likes to look at his overall frozen four record, but outside DOT and Pony years,  which did disappoint, he took some teams to the frozen four that really had no business being there. 

• Upvote 4

On 2/10/2018 at 10:42 PM, tnt said:

Wonder if Penticton fans complained about Jones not being in the top whatever in scoring last year.  I assume you don’t want UND to recruit Rizzo from Penticton either then.

What leap of logic did this come from.  I want UND to recruit anyone who can score at the college level.  Nowhere did I mention Penticton, Jones, or Rizzo.  If you think we have a great bunch of front liners then we differ a bit.  

35 minutes ago, Irish said:

What leap of logic did this come from.  I want UND to recruit anyone who can score at the college level.  Nowhere did I mention Penticton, Jones, or Rizzo.  If you think we have a great bunch of front liners then we differ a bit.  

You were complaining about our lack of scorers in the top 10 in the league.  I was merely pointing out that our best forward wasn't in the top of his league either, and the recruit everyone is hoping that commits isn't anywhere to be found either.   

On 2/11/2018 at 12:05 AM, willythekid said:

Consistency, or lack there of, is what is most frustrating thing to me with this team...  

Yup.
One night they look like they could sweep PWR1 in their rink; other nights they look like they'd lose to PWR60 at REA. 

That said, part of me wonders with the injuries and short roster can Berry do everything he'd want to?
There are times a little old school Blaiser "skate or sit" needed to be taught but couldn't be because of numbers (at least to my eyes). 

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

Yup.
One night they look like they could sweep PWR1 in their rink; other nights they look like they'd lose to PWR60 at REA. 

That said, part of me wonders with the injuries and short roster can Berry do everything he'd want to?
There are times a little old school Blaiser "skate or sit" needed to be taught but couldn't be because of numbers (at least to my eyes). 

...and to think we thought we had too many guys to play at the beginning of the year.  The thing I liked best about Gornall, is that you didn't need to worry about effort.