SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. denver - SATURDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

10 hours ago, siouxweet said:

The goalie that started before Cam also had a tendency to let in awful goals from time to time.

Time to time? Each series is more like it. He let in his softy, then usually shut it down. Except with .6 seconds to go. :glare:

On 1/28/2018 at 2:08 AM, SiouxFanatic said:

Exactly same thing last season except it is Tomek instead of Thome.

The difference was the third string goalie/walkon was starting over a drafted goalie last year.

....and there was cries of "What is going on with Tomek?"

And apparently something was as his time with UND was short lived.

7 hours ago, Cratter said:

The difference was the third string goalie/walkon was starting over a drafted goalie last year.

....and there was cries of "What is going on with Tomek?"

And apparently something was as his time with UND was short lived.

More of an attitude/never playing thing.  Had nothing to do with talent 

On 1/28/2018 at 11:32 AM, GDPritch said:

This Cam obsession (with defending him) on this board is downright comical. 

Yeah, it's comical to defend a guy who just gave up 4 goals all weekend to DU. Sheesh. He's the better goalie, right now. Is Thome the better talent? Probably. But, right now, Cam is the best goaltender on our team.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Yeah, it's comical to defend a guy who just gave up 4 goals all weekend to DU. Sheesh. He's the better goalie, right now. Is Thome the better talent? Probably. But, right now, Cam is the best goaltender on our team.

By what metric?

I'm not saying Thome should play from here on out, or that he's a huge upgrade from Johnson, but I also don't think that Johnson with his play this year (the guy has a .906 SV%) should automatically be the guy. Johnson played well this weekend and I'm all for starting him Friday against CC, but if he has a bad game and Thome plays well the next night, just don't automatically start Johnson after that.

Edit: Play the best goalie, regardless of class, I'm just not convinced Johnson is better.

I haven't seen Schlossman advocating for a longer suspension for Cole Smith, or that the NCHC isn't doing their job protecting players.  Does he believe that it is only in the NHL that it is a problem, or is it he doesn't want to bite the hands that feed him?   

42 minutes ago, AJS said:

By what metric?

I'm not saying Thome should play from here on out, or that he's a huge upgrade from Johnson, but I also don't think that Johnson with his play this year (the guy has a .906 SV%) should automatically be the guy. Johnson played well this weekend and I'm all for starting him Friday against CC, but if he has a bad game and Thome plays well the next night, just don't automatically start Johnson after that.

Edit: Play the best goalie, regardless of class, I'm just not convinced Johnson is better.

Definitely a good post.  If all the boys are healthy, I’d give Thome a game in CC.  Friday night.

36 minutes ago, tnt said:

I haven't seen Schlossman advocating for a longer suspension for Cole Smith, or that the NCHC isn't doing their job protecting players.  Does he believe that it is only in the NHL that it is a problem, or is it he doesn't want to bite the hands that feed him?   

Haha I was waiting for something like this.

1 hour ago, AJS said:

By what metric?

Their numbers are incredibly similar. My basis of opinion is on his experience and what I've seen of Thome. I like Thome, but he gets out of position a little bit too much for my liking.

I'm absolutely 100% on board with the idea of not HAVING to start Cam. I think his play hasn't been fantastic and that earns Thome some starts. But, I do think Cam is better at the moment and I do think his experience is an important piece. Bubbs trusts Cam.

36 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Their numbers are incredibly similar. My basis of opinion is on his experience and what I've seen of Thome. I like Thome, but he gets out of position a little bit too much for my liking.

I'm absolutely 100% on board with the idea of not HAVING to start Cam. I think his play hasn't been fantastic and that earns Thome some starts. But, I do think Cam is better at the moment and I do think his experience is an important piece. Bubbs trusts Cam.

Agreed, unless Cam has a clunker of a game I think you keep starting him. He recovered nicely after that bad goal against, I was sure that would destroy his confidence but he was resilient and was solid for the remainder of the game.  Thome will continue to get better as he has a lot of natural talent but he got exposed @ Denver, overplaying passes and leaving the net 100% open a few times. If it's a player getting a straight up shot on net I'd give Thome they edge right now but any sort of cross ice pass or fake shot Cam is a much better goalie right now. 

DISCLAIMER: This opinion is based on 5+ years of being a shutdown knee hockey goalie in my former years as well as 20+ years of coaching college and NHL goalies...from my couch

• Like 1

On 1/29/2018 at 12:16 PM, stoneySIOUX said:

Cam gave up FOUR GOALS ALL WEEKEND against a brutal team that returned basically everyone from a national championship team?  He's lucky to be the goalie for the Delta Tau Delta intramural team let alone the Fighting Hawks!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1