SiouxSports.com Forum

Students Spearhead Effort for Fighting Hawks Mascot

ChrisUND1

On 5/2/2018 at 11:30 AM, UND1981 said:

Military theme (aircraft?) or my favorite (2 tomahawks crossed).  Since there is no such thing as a fighting hawk bird, the tomahawks could be fighting tomahawks!

I would recommend dropping the Fighting part of the nickname. Because from the cheers  I've heard at basketball games are go hawks go. 

4 hours ago, Goon said:

I would recommend dropping the Fighting part of the nickname. Because from the cheers  I've heard at basketball games are go hawks go. 

I would agree with dropping the Fighting, I still say the reason the Hawk won is because the word Fighting was in front of it.

I've come to accept the Hawk, but not Fighting so much. Heck the Bison were even Fighting Aggies at one time, I posted about that around a year ago.

When I was in school in the early 70's, I don't remember the word Fighting used. It was only SIOUX. When we have reunions, I always ask friends and not one remembers using the wording Fighting back then.

33 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I would agree with dropping the Fighting, I still say the reason the Hawk won is because the word Fighting was in front of it.

I've come to accept the Hawk, but not Fighting so much. Heck the Bison were even Fighting Aggies at one time, I posted about that around a year ago.

When I was in school in the early 70's, I don't remember the word Fighting used. It was only SIOUX. When we have reunions, I always ask friends and not one remembers using the wording Fighting back then.

Thanks for sharing that. I didn’t know that NDSU was known as the Fighting Aggies. 

On 5/6/2018 at 7:19 PM, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

On 5/6/2018 at 7:52 PM, Goon said:

Thanks for sharing that. I didn’t know that NDSU was known as the Fighting Aggies. 

On 5/6/2018 at 7:56 PM, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I posted a article on it under a football thread. There were quite a few of US collages pre WWII that used Fighting.

Default Bison Nickname Turns 90 in February

Just got this e-mail, pretty cool deal.

The Weekly Spectrum - February 17, 1922, p. 2

A. C. Athletics To Be Known As Bissons {sic}
New Name for Athletic Teams Chosen by Members of N. D.
Club. At last week's meeting of the letter men of the Agricultural College, the new N. D. club completed its organization. The men voted on and approved the temporary and dummy constitution submitted to them by the committee in charge. … The college athletic teams in the future will no longer be famed as the fighting Aggies but as the Bisons, the new and official name adopted by the N. D. club to be taken by our teams from
now on. The name will no doubt sound queer to us for a while, but when we once become used to its usage we can be proud to have our teams play under the name of the staunchest and most persistent fighters of the plains in the early days. The name of Bison has been incorporated in our natural history and college song and though "Hushed upon the boundless prairies, is the bison's thundering tread," its dauntless spirit and domination will still continue to he carried throughout our annals and the future to come, by N. D. A. C. athletic teams. Through custom and imitation most of the colleges are known by some animal,
flower, or bird in which they find traits to admire, as our sister school up the river. This week will undoubtedly prove conclusively to U. N. D. how big a flickertail looks under the foot of a bison
  • Upvote 1

The 1922 spectrum article mentions the Fighting Aggies before we were the Sioux. The last sentence of the article is about a Bison foot (hoof).

I still believe we were the Sioux only (without the word Fighting for much of the time we had the Sioux name). As I previously mentioned a few posts back, I can't recall the U using Fighting before Sioux when I went to college in the early 70's.

7 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Default Bison Nickname Turns 90 in February

Just got this e-mail, pretty cool deal.

The Weekly Spectrum - February 17, 1922, p. 2

A. C. Athletics To Be Known As Bissons {sic}
New Name for Athletic Teams Chosen by Members of N. D.
Club. At last week's meeting of the letter men of the Agricultural College, the new N. D. club completed its organization. The men voted on and approved the temporary and dummy constitution submitted to them by the committee in charge. … The college athletic teams in the future will no longer be famed as the fighting Aggies but as the Bisons, the new and official name adopted by the N. D. club to be taken by our teams from
now on. The name will no doubt sound queer to us for a while, but when we once become used to its usage we can be proud to have our teams play under the name of the staunchest and most persistent fighters of the plains in the early days. The name of Bison has been incorporated in our natural history and college song and though "Hushed upon the boundless prairies, is the bison's thundering tread," its dauntless spirit and domination will still continue to he carried throughout our annals and the future to come, by N. D. A. C. athletic teams. Through custom and imitation most of the colleges are known by some animal,
flower, or bird in which they find traits to admire, as our sister school up the river. This week will undoubtedly prove conclusively to U. N. D. how big a flickertail looks under the foot of a bison

"The name will no doubt sound queer to us for a while, but when we once become used to its usage we can be proud to have our teams play under the name... "

We can only hope this happens for the UND fanbase as well.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

They have been called the Farmers before the Fighting Aggies.

By GradBison on Bisonville:  Was it the Fighting Farmers before Aggies or just Farmers?

Johnnyboy also mention on here Feb 14, 2017 that NDSU was called the Farmers at one time.

We are Farmers, bum ba dum bum bum bum bum! :D

• Upvote 1

Bisonville: A few Feb 2017 posts regarding Fighting in our names.

Tony:

Default Re: Testify!

Cripes... UND fans need not post in this thread. Moved a bunch of posts out to Smack. 

Back on topic.

Cas4127: How the Bison name came about.

247f0fa2da93ecabc465b15de45b6381.jpg

8313fcaa9d163dc04ffac173e3f7c83c.jpg

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad:

Your school made a good decision back then. I'v read articles in the past, that went something like, that your use of Bissons was one of the reasons that forced the use of flickertails to be retired. There became a UND movement for a more vibrant mascot to keep up with the Bissons. So to your credit, we followed you way back then in name changes. Just to keep an even keel, you followed us in decisions also.
Little did the UND people of that movement know that Sioux was going to be a political nightmare.

DakotaOakie:

it always seemed to me there was some sort of food chain upmanship going on in the Dakota universities relative to sport team nicknames. Jackrabbits --> coyotes--> Bison --> Sioux. I have no idea about the timing of all of these name adoptions but it still seems curious. The Bison / Flickertail thing (gophers anyone?) seems to corroborate the theory.

Hammerhead:

Also notice the NDAC mascot was "Fighting Aggies" while that other school didn't add Fighting to their mascot until the 1990s.

Bison03:

"This week will undoubtedly prove conclusively to UND how big a flickertail looks under the foot of a Bison." 
HA!! That is great. I guess the same could be said about a Hawk.

35 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

"The name will no doubt sound queer to us for a while, but when we once become used to its usage we can be proud to have our teams play under the name... "

We can only hope this happens for the UND fanbase as well.

I can assure you that a lot of people say our new name is queer

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Bisonville: A few Feb 2017 posts regarding Fighting in our names.

Tony:

Cripes... UND fans need not post in this thread. Moved a bunch of posts out to Smack. 

Back on topic.

Cas4127: How the Bison name came about.

247f0fa2da93ecabc465b15de45b6381.jpg

8313fcaa9d163dc04ffac173e3f7c83c.jpg

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad:

Your school made a good decision back then. I'v read articles in the past, that went something like, that your use of Bissons was one of the reasons that forced the use of flickertails to be retired. There became a UND movement for a more vibrant mascot to keep up with the Bissons. So to your credit, we followed you way back then in name changes. Just to keep an even keel, you followed us in decisions also.
Little did the UND people of that movement know that Sioux was going to be a political nightmare.

DakotaOakie:

it always seemed to me there was some sort of food chain upmanship going on in the Dakota universities relative to sport team nicknames. Jackrabbits --> coyotes--> Bison --> Sioux. I have no idea about the timing of all of these name adoptions but it still seems curious. The Bison / Flickertail thing (gophers anyone?) seems to corroborate the theory.

Hammerhead:

Also notice the NDAC mascot was "Fighting Aggies" while that other school didn't add Fighting to their mascot until the 1990s.

Bison03:

"This week will undoubtedly prove conclusively to UND how big a flickertail looks under the foot of a Bison." 
HA!! That is great. I guess the same could be said about a Hawk.

What’s with Bissons? 

10 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

We may have to mark this thread NSFW for the male on male NDSU history leason.

.... all this SIOUX history we may have to mark it NSFD too.

...... Not Safe For Darrell.

Actually it’s Flickertail history. 

#FlickertailsForever