SiouxSports.com Forum

Students Spearhead Effort for Fighting Hawks Mascot

ChrisUND1

I'd love to us get a mascot, HOWEVER, this is going to get screwed up beyond recourse.   It's going to come out looking like a chicken hawk or some other lame image.   I have no faith in the end result turning out differently than the logo turned out.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TRex said:

I'd love to us get a mascot, HOWEVER, this is going to get screwed up beyond recourse.   It's going to come out looking like a chicken hawk or some other lame image.   I have no faith in the end result turning out differently than the logo turned out.

Don't worry...they will get all the stakeholders input on this before making a move.  Sound familiar? :(

• Like 1

I don’t understand why most of you are against a mascot? Every MAJOR school out there has one, heck the school to the south has a mascot that is pretty recognizable. When the Bleacher Creature came out did people expect it to be a Cartoon Sioux Indian with a head dress instead?Cause that what have went over well.

There is a lot more positives than negatives if we in fact incorporate a “Hawk” mascot. The kids will love it! And once we start playing our natural rivals having a mascot pump up the crowd will go a long ways, cause clearly the cheerleaders or dance team can’t. Hell over the past few years the students athletes from other sports cheering on other teams have been the only energy from the stands.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ndamukong_sioux said:

I don’t understand why most of you are against a mascot? Every MAJOR school out there has one, heck the school to the south has a mascot that is pretty recognizable. When the Bleacher Creature came out did people expect it to be a Cartoon Sioux Indian with a head dress instead?Cause that what have went over well.

There is a lot more positives than negatives if we in fact incorporate a “Hawk” mascot. The kids will love it! And once we start playing our natural rivals having a mascot pump up the crowd will go a long ways, cause clearly the cheerleaders or dance team can’t. Hell over the past few years the students athletes from other sports cheering on other teams have been the only energy from the stands.

They are scared more and more people will accept the Hawk name and leave the Sioux name in the past. The ones dissing the idea of a mascot are the ones who would use Hawk gear as an oil rag. 

• Downvote 4

10 hours ago, TRex said:

Did you think Bison fans were going to expect a cartoonish like Bison or a real one like at the U of Colorado. They have no problem with their mascot and he is very popular not only at games but in the community. 

• Downvote 2

59 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

They are scared more and more people will accept the Hawk name and leave the Sioux name in the past. The ones dissing the idea of a mascot are the ones who would use Hawk gear as an oil rag. 

For those much younger than us Darell you forgot Hawks gear is also used to wipe up baby spit up and puke! ;)

(Cue the Darell red arrow down vote)

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, Ndamukong_sioux said:

I am not really against a mascot per se. But the fact that the last time we had one it was an embarrassment to the school, state and region makes me a little leery. Then when you consider the whole nickname process that eventually gave us a mediocre name and the sh!tty logo we have now and......well it is a little hard to have trust that this will turn out alright.

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, petey23 said:

I am not really against a mascot per se. But the fact that the last time we had one it was an embarrassment to the school, state and region makes me a little leery. Then when you consider the whole nickname process that eventually gave us a mediocre name and the sh!tty logo we have now and......well it is a little hard to have trust that this will turn out alright.

We had an Indian nickname did you think our mascot was going to rival Florida State? Yes a goofy looking gorilla was a wrong choice but no way would they (the university, the tribes) allow a guy dressed like and Indian running around a stadium. We have a new nickname and logo that is never going to change, let’s see what the mascot will come up to be, before criticizing the idea of one.

6 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Since when have UND fans needed an idiot dressed in a cartoon costume to get them to cheer on there team?

But if they do end up making yet another mistake in this botched Odessy of rebranding then I humbly suggest that we name the new mascot "Postal the PC hawk", zer can be gender non conforming, queer, and disabled. The liberal news outlets will praise it for a week until they realize that the whole thing is a big joke.

At least Chelsea Handler will give it positive feedback on her Twitter............................................................so there's that.

7 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Since when have UND fans needed an idiot dressed in a cartoon costume to get them to cheer on there team?

But if they do end up making yet another mistake in this botched Odessy of rebranding then I humbly suggest that we name the new mascot "Postal the PC hawk", zer can be gender non conforming, queer, and disabled. The liberal news outlets will praise it for a week until they realize that the whole thing is a big joke.

So it’s okay to have a guy dressed in a cowboy hat running with a flag around the field but we can’t have a Hawk interacting with young kids and other fans, making their game day experience even better. All because you are still butthurt over the name change. 

25 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

So it’s okay to have a guy dressed in a cowboy hat running with a flag around the field but we can’t have a Hawk interacting with young kids and other fans, making their game day experience even better. All because you are still butthurt over the name change. 

I don't think he sees himself as a mascot but carry on.................................................................

Just now, darell1976 said:

You would let your kids interact with a guy in a costume... not a good idea, just wait until they accidentally run into a furry and think he's a mascot.

image.thumb.png.e8154774aa0ab0eae9e6e45e3d966787.png

4 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

We had an Indian nickname did you think our mascot was going to rival Florida State? Yes a goofy looking gorilla was a wrong choice but no way would they (the university, the tribes) allow a guy dressed like and Indian running around a stadium. We have a new nickname and logo that is never going to change, let’s see what the mascot will come up to be, before criticizing the idea of one.

The difference between UND and Florida State is IF UND had a mascot under the Fighting Sioux name. It would be an actual Native American, most likely someone that is from the Sioux Tribe, then a white guy dressed as an Indian.

Then again if UND still used Fighting Sioux there still wouldn’t be a mascot.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, cberkas said:

You are missing the point of what a furry is.

My point is the Jayhawks mascot is known nationally, and I’m sure they don’t need them to get the crowd in a frenzy at Allen Field House as their sellout crowds do that on their own, but fans love Big Jay, and Baby Jay. They have a cartoonish logo but a nice mascot. 

19 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

nope. never said that.

20 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

At least Chelsea Handler will give it positive feedback on her Twitter............................................................so there's that.

Have you ever seen anyone's 15 minutes of fame go from 5 minutes and 30 seconds on the clock to 14 minutes and 58 seconds faster than Chelsea Handler?