SiouxSports.com Forum

Students Spearhead Effort for Fighting Hawks Mascot

ChrisUND1

A live hawk would do quite a bit to make people adapt to the new name. 

The cool factor of a hawk swooping down out of the rafters of the Ralph to eat a dead rodent on the ice after the first goal..... (ala nashville tradition) would be great.

When you think about it it would be almost a textbook tactic on how to create new traditions.

They could still form a committee to discuss the species and then hold a vote to determine a name

.....and then pick something different when the students vote to name the hawk......... Sioux.

This would also give the butt hurt activist perpetual victimists a new reason to live in protesting the use of a live animal.

2 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

A live hawk would do quite a bit to make people adapt to the new name. 

The cool factor of a hawk swooping down out of the rafters of the Ralph to eat a dead rodent on the ice after the first goal..... (ala nashville tradition) would be great.

When you think about it it would be almost a textbook tactic on how to create new traditions.

They could still form a committee to discuss the species and then hold a vote to determine a name

.....and then pick something different when the students vote to name the hawk......... Sioux.

This would also give the butt hurt activist perpetual victimists a new reason to live in protesting the use of a live animal.

Ummmm WHAT!?  That is not very inclusive, and I think it's a terrible idea to only give one race of hawks the opportunity to represent our school.  

X and Z have on the same top. I think it looks similar to a basketball jersey sleeve. Y's shirt is more like a football jersey. X has on no pants. Y and Z have pants, I can't quite tell if they're different. The sleeve/shirt design are different and I believe it was Y that has black on the legs not all green.

9 minutes ago, FGHTNSX Hawkey14 said:

I think mascots look better in full equipment. Or at least faux-equipment.

Maybe they will do that, I wonder when the voting begins on a name. Overall the mascot looks pretty good, reminds me of North Texas’ scrappy.13adca9aaee0670a5345b3d66b0f45e6.jpg

11 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Predictable responses on social media. I think everything was covered in the first 30 minutes of the designs being released:

• Sioux Forever (just need a little more time to move on I guess)
  • Waste of money, should be used to bring back women's hockey (math must be hard)
  • Local company should have gotten the work (lot of those around :silly:)
  • The right group of people didn't get input (still working on finding that right combination)

I think they did a decent job. It looks like a bird. The clothing is interchangeable. The committee wanted to make sure all three had fairly neutral clothing during the voting process so it didn't influence anything (hockey jersey, football jersey, etc). It clearly states on every single on that the attire can be changed. Biggest difference between them is the head shape/design and leg color, otherwise they are pretty similar.

They should bring back women’s hockey it only costs $35,000 like the mascot. They can survive on that right? Gotta love social media!!

16 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Predictable responses on social media. I think everything was covered in the first 30 minutes of the designs being released:

• Sioux Forever (just need a little more time to move on I guess)
  • Waste of money, should be used to bring back women's hockey (math must be hard)
  • Local company should have gotten the work (lot of those around :silly:)
  • The right group of people didn't get input (still working on finding that right combination)

I think they did a decent job. It looks like a bird. The clothing is interchangeable. The committee wanted to make sure all three had fairly neutral clothing during the voting process so it didn't influence anything (hockey jersey, football jersey, etc). It clearly states on every single on that the attire can be changed. Biggest difference between them is the head shape/design and leg color, otherwise they are pretty similar.

Plus the fact that the donor(s) specifically asked that their money be used to help students development a mascot.  Donor wishes be damned, I guess.

I think the Hawks themselves look better than expected! I would take the fugly logo off the front of his shirt though. It is a hawk we get it, it is overkill. Just put the North Dakota logo with the new font on front. The post office logo should never be any larger than maybe 2x3 inches on any item of apparel or uniform.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, petey23 said:

I think the Hawks themselves look better than expected! I would take the fugly logo off the front of his shirt though. It is a hawk we get it, it is overkill. Just put the North Dakota logo with the new font on front. The post office logo should never be any larger than maybe 2x3 inches on any item of apparel or uniform.

If the Hawk mascot is sponsored by the REA you would get your wish.