SiouxSports.com Forum

Students Spearhead Effort for Fighting Hawks Mascot

ChrisUND1

1 hour ago, Blackheart said:

Will that be similar to the vote when the majority overwhelmingly selected "No Nickname, just North Dakota"?:unsure:

http://m.startribune.com/north-dakota-nickname-committee-eliminates-no-nickname-option-for-und/318111091/

Both the no nickname option and Green Hawks were eliminated by the 11-member committee, which includes Minnesota Twins president Dave St. Peter, a UND alumnus who grew up in Bismarck, N.D. St. Peter was among the four who voted against eliminating the "no nickname" option.

St. Peter acknowledged that the "North Dakota" option was favored by a number of people who felt it was a way to show support for the abandoned Fighting Sioux nickname and logo.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Blackheart said:

Will that be similar to the vote when the majority overwhelmingly selected "No Nickname, just North Dakota"?:unsure:

It's really unfortunate the no nickname option was cast aside.   We wouldn't be having any of this constant bickering on here and throughout social media if those in charge of the process would've done the right thing.    

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Siouxphan27 said:

It's really unfortunate the no nickname option was cast aside.   We wouldn't be having any of this constant bickering on here and throughout social media if those in charge of the process would've done the right thing.    

Ugh...we have been over this literally a thousand times.  No nickname means Fighting Sioux remains default, unofficial nickname.  Something the University did not want.    

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Ugh...we have been over this literally a thousand times.  No nickname means Fighting Sioux remains default, unofficial nickname.  Something the University did not want.    

All he's saying is that it's unfortunate. Not rehashing an argument. Simply saying he wishes it would have been considered. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Exactly. Dave St. Peter said the same thing in the article I posted. Everyone can see that the no nickname option was the Fighting Sioux name unofficial. The NCAA even sent a letter saying if they went with the no nickname option any complaint from any school would result in getting a new nickname. So Fighting Hawks cancelled all of that. 

15 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

How exactly does one market ... nothing. 

PS - You assume "a nothing" would eliminate the bickering. I beg to differ. 

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Well....how has that worked out so far?   Seems to be a lot of complaining about how quickly some are assimilating, and the enthusiasm some are displaying towards the new name and logo.   Just in the last couple days I've read on here fears about prospective students not coming to UND, or donations possibly dwindling because of all the infighting.  Those very arguments are coming from your side, the side that demands everyone embrace the most generic of names, along with the most lame of logos, in the history of sports.  Is this what the university truly wanted?  I hope not.    

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

How exactly does one market ... nothing. 

PS - You assume "a nothing" would eliminate the bickering. I beg to differ. 

WE ARE NORTH DAKOTA  seemed to work ok.  

Where was the bickering between the day the name was officially dropped and the day the nickname process started?  The only bickering I recall was a very few people being upset some fans were still chanting a retired,  unofficial name at sporting events.  Which is still happening, and out of the control of the university.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Well....how has that worked out so far?   Seems to be a lot of complaining about how quickly some are assimilating, and the enthusiasm some are displaying towards the new name and logo.   Just in the last couple days I've read on here fears about prospective students not coming to UND, or donations possibly dwindling because of all the infighting.  Those very arguments are coming from your side, the side that demands everyone embrace the most generic of names, along with the most lame of logos, in the history of sports.  Is this what the university truly wanted?  I hope not.    

I think the University wanted a new nickname and logo that weren't racially offensive and wanted the fans to embrace it.  yah.  crazy I know.  

• Downvote 5

1 minute ago, Siouxphan27 said:

WE ARE NORTH DAKOTA  seemed to work ok.  

Where was the bickering between the day the name was officially dropped and the day the nickname process started?  The only bickering I recall was a very few people being upset some fans were still chanting a retired,  unofficial name at sporting events.  Which is still happening, and out of the control of the university.  

Did we ever determine whether the settlement agreement stated that UND had to pick a new name upon dropping the old one?

29 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

So it’s the fault of those who support the name and logo, and those Fighting Sioux Forever folks who like to call names on social media, make fun of the nickname and logo, and boo the athletes at games are innocent of causing a split in the fan base. You are right the University didn’t want this. 3 years with a new name I am sure they thought more people would be behind the name and logo and every year more and more people are, but you have those people who like to stir the pot and fight back with all they have to make people see it their way and their way only.

10 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

So it’s the fault of those who support the name and logo, and those Fighting Sioux Forever folks who like to call names on social media, make fun of the nickname and logo, and boo the athletes at games are innocent of causing a split in the fan base. You are right the University didn’t want this. 3 years with a new name I am sure they thought more people would be behind the name and logo and every year more and more people are, but you have those people who like to stir the pot and fight back with all they have to make people see it their way and their way only.

I don't think it's any of those people's faults.  On either end of the spectrum.  It's more the fault of the process, and how they made up the rules as they went along, and didn't follow the rules they laid out to begin with.  After that, I blame SME and the University's leadership for accepting their lamest of lame logos, which just added fuel to the fire.  What about this logo says "fighting" to you?  No color, no expression...just Charlie Brown in his halloween bed sheet laying on his side.    

Even though I think the logo is bland and pathetic I do have about 7 or 8 shirts with the logo...   I've become indifferent to the whole situation, and I hate to admit it but i'm more looking forward to how hopeless this mascot is going to look so I can laugh at it, than I am looking forward to seeing a great mascot design.   

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Where was the bickering between the day the name was officially dropped and the day the nickname process started? 

At risk of quoting John McEnroe, you cannot be serious. Um, bickering about dropping the name, bickering about having to pick a name, bickering about who got to pick a name and by which process, do those not come up in your recall? 

16 minutes ago, FGHTNSX Hawkey14 said:

After reading that, it opens old wounds of that old debate, myself, I never thought of it as hostile and abusive and I still despise people like Wayne Stenjeum, Miles Brand, and the tribal council of the Standing Rock for what they all did to get where we are today. Now I am glad we don’t have to worry about NCAA sanctions, tribal council votes, and another nickname process. 

13 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

After reading that, it opens old wounds of that old debate, myself, I never thought of it as hostile and abusive and I still despise people like Wayne Stenjeum, Miles Brand, and the tribal council of the Standing Rock for what they all did to get where we are today. Now I am glad we don’t have to worry about NCAA sanctions, tribal council votes, and another nickname process. 

Yup. As awesome as "Fighting Sioux" was, it caused a lot of headaches.

7 minutes ago, FGHTNSX Hawkey14 said:

Yup. As awesome as "Fighting Sioux" was, it caused a lot of headaches.

I remember seeing some academic marketing from Michigan State, talking about "Spartan Pride", and feeling jealous how UND could never use that sort of slogan. 

47 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

At risk of quoting John McEnroe, you cannot be serious. Um, bickering about dropping the name, bickering about having to pick a name, bickering about who got to pick a name and by which process, do those not come up in your recall? 

Thanks for proving one of my points:

"Dropping the name" bickering was inevitable. 

"Having to pick a name" bickering would have been resolved by not having one. 

"Which process" bickering, again, not needed if the majority's wishes  would have been listened to. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Eastern Washington mascot on the top, Miami Redhawks mascot below. (Ironically both named Swoop).  I am guessing we get something similar to these.

EWU.jpg

miami.jpg

Probably close to the Miami Redhawk and hopefully far away from the Iowa Hawkeye mascot, that thing is hideous.