SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Denver

AZSIOUX

I belong to the "I hate DU" fan club.  UND has lost too many national titles to this team.  

Like goofy, I respect their talent, but that does NOT mean they deserve open shooting lanes and unobstructed views.

We know which way the whistle will blow, so keep hands on sticks, sticks on the ice, and feet moving fast as hell.  Get pucks deep, forecheck like demons, and give them no quarter in our end of the rink.

No one in green/white takes a shift off, no passengers.  This is the time to light up the ships.

GO SIOUX!!!

• Upvote 1

Over the last 10 games, UND and DU have played to a tie 4-4-2.

Date Location Result Note

12-05-15 Grand Forks W, 4-0 Johnson starts SHO streak

02-12-16 Denver L, 4-6 CBS + Pacific Rim = 17 pts

02-13-16 Denver L, 1-4 Gambrell 2 goals

03-19-16 Minneapolis (ot) T, 1-1 NCHC Frozen Faceoff

04-07-16 Tampa W, 4-2 NCAA Frozen Four

11-11-16 Grand Forks (ot) T, 1-1 Gersich 3x3 OT goal

11-12-16 Grand Forks L, 2-3 Borgström GWG

03-17-17 Minneapolis W, 1-0 Johnson SHO, Poganski GWG

11-17-17 Denver W, 5-4 UND erases 3-0 deficit

11-18-17 Denver L, 1-4 Denver 3-8 on PP

Just now, Goon said:

Over the last 10 games, UND and DU have played to a tie 4-4-2.

Date Location Result Note

12-05-15 Grand Forks W, 4-0 Johnson starts SHO streak

02-12-16 Denver L, 4-6 CBS + Pacific Rim = 17 pts

02-13-16 Denver L, 1-4 Gambrell 2 goals

03-19-16 Minneapolis (ot) T, 1-1 NCHC Frozen Faceoff

04-07-16 Tampa W, 4-2 NCAA Frozen Four

11-11-16 Grand Forks (ot) T, 1-1 Gersich 3x3 OT goal

11-12-16 Grand Forks L, 2-3 Borgström GWG

03-17-17 Minneapolis W, 1-0 Johnson SHO, Poganski GWG

11-17-17 Denver W, 5-4 UND erases 3-0 deficit

11-18-17 Denver L, 1-4 Denver 3-8 on PP

Over the last two years, so far, 2-2-1.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheFlop said:

If Cam plays both games UND gets swept.  Need to put Thome in and have him get hot.  

Did you forget how well Cam played his Sophomore year?

Do I think they'll get swept if Cam is playing, no, but I am in the corner that there isn't a big difference between Cam / Thome. If both are healthy, I'd like to see them split time and whoever plays better takes over. If that's Thome, then he should be the one in net.

13 minutes ago, AJS said:

Did you forget how well Cam played his Sophomore year?

Do I think they'll get swept if Cam is playing, no, but I am in the corner that there isn't a big difference between Cam / Thome. If both are healthy, I'd like to see them split time and whoever plays better takes over. If that's Thome, then he should be the one in net.

Let's be honest about Cam's sophomore year, he was the equivalent of a game manager QB in football.  He had what might have been the best group of defensemen ever in program history playing in front of him....and they were only needed when Schmaltz, Boesser, and Caggiula weren't controlling play in the other end.  Cam just had to be average and not screw anything up.  

I do agree that while I think Thome is a much better goalie, that splitting games is most realistic at this time.

Cam was fantastic to start this year, before his injury. As far as being dialed-in, to me it was the best he's looked in any of his seasons. I think Thome will be a solid G, but Denver seriously exposed his weakness (lateral movement) for eight goals in those two games. He's gotten enough time for us to feel confident going into next year without Cam. But this year, if Cam is healthy, he needs to be in net down the stretch.

32 minutes ago, SiouxTupa said:

Cam was fantastic to start this year, before his injury. As far as being dialed-in, to me it was the best he's looked in any of his seasons. I think Thome will be a solid G, but Denver seriously exposed his weakness (lateral movement) for eight goals in those two games. He's gotten enough time for us to feel confident going into next year without Cam. But this year, if Cam is healthy, he needs to be in net down the stretch.

Whatever weakness Thome has, he still has a better SV % than Cam (they are close .913 vs .906). I just think it'd be crazy to play Cam no matter what, given his very mediocre numbers. This isn't saying play Thome every night, but given where we are at, I'd prefer to go with whichever goalie gets hot.