SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kennedy Comments on HPC Phase II

fightingsioux4life

"Source and Availability of Funds (including FF&E): Private funds pending this request for authorization and up to $8,000,000 in funds from the sale of excess property."

What is the excess property?  The hyslop?  Would UND "buy" the space from the athletic department?

12 hours ago, Hammersmith said:

FYI, UND just requested to start fundraising for Phase 2. 117,000 sqft and $35M.

http://ndus.edu/uploads/resources/8832/summary-und-hpc-phase-ii-fundraising.pdf

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4443710-und-athletics-focus-shifts-second-phase-high-performance-center

Apologies if it's already been posted. Didn't see it after a quick search of the obvious threads.

Found it because NDSU requested the same fundraising authorization for two IPFs. One small one($2M - 11K sqft) just for softball, and a main one($37.2M - 120K sqft) for most everything else but T&F. NDSU's main field will be much smaller than the HPF(85K sqft vs 195K), but NDSU doesn't need the track since they have a separate indoor facility just for that. Never realized how much the track balloons out an IPF until I did the math. The FB field portion of the HPF only works out to 57,600 sqft. The remaining 135K+ sqft is all for T&F space plus a buffer around the perimeter. Don't know for certain if NDSU's will be a 100yd field like SDSU's or a full 120yd field like UND's, but either is mathematically possible at this point.

Id think the NDSU field would be full length and width, at 85K square feet.  It will probably end up being a better facility for football only.  Our field is not truly 120 yards.  We have to put up cones for our end zones in front of the actual "end zone", because the tracks cuts half of it off.  Separate tack and football facilities are the way to go.

SDSU and UND both have 300ft tracks, but SDSU can probably actually use their end zone.

My guess is ndsu gets something like this: Related image

4 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

"Source and Availability of Funds (including FF&E): Private funds pending this request for authorization and up to $8,000,000 in funds from the sale of excess property."

What is the excess property?  The hyslop?  Would UND "buy" the space from the athletic department?

Dakota Hall (old hotel dorm that hasn't been used in a while) and at least a portion of the Ray Richards land could both be contributing to that $8 million.

Hammer's link: http://ndus.edu/uploads/resources/8832/summary-und-hpc-phase-ii-fundraising.pdf

Words that caught my eye: 

The project will also allow UND to tactically remove an estimated 300,000 gross square feet of existing space, remove an estimated $27,000,000 in existing deferred maintenance and open up a site in the academic core of campus for a new academic building.

That reads like a lot of WIN to me: 

- Finally finish the HPC.

- The academic side of UND has long wanted the Hyslop space for a new building. My guess is they want a new STEM building on that dirt. I bet I was first clued in on this concept a decade ago. Plus, it's the perfect spot on the SE corner of campus at the overpass. It'd be another grand arrival point to campus along with the new Med building and Clifford/CAS. 

- Take $27M of deferred maintenance off the books? Win. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

My guess is they want a new STEM building on that dirt.

Not a guess anymore, the strategic plan outlines it and I believe they are making the request for the building in the next biennium.

12 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Not a guess anymore, the strategic plan outlines it and I believe they are making the request for the building in the next biennium.

Yeah, I guess not. But I do recall a conversation about Hyslop long ago with a former AD and how they mentioned that academics covets that dirt and that Athletics would need to find new homes first. 

http://blogs.und.edu/und-today/2018/01/masters-of-planning/ 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Hammer's link: http://ndus.edu/uploads/resources/8832/summary-und-hpc-phase-ii-fundraising.pdf

Words that caught my eye: 

That reads like a lot of WIN to me: 

- Finally finish the HPC.

- The academic side of UND has long wanted the Hyslop space for a new building. My guess is they want a new STEM building on that dirt. I bet I was first clued in on this concept a decade ago. Plus, it's the perfect spot on the SE corner of campus at the overpass. It'd be another grand arrival point to campus along with the new Med building and Clifford/CAS. 

- Take $27M of deferred maintenance off the books? Win. 

Can you think of any potential big donors that would benefit from a STEM building?

10 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Wouldn't be surprised if the HPC II has already been verbally funded by donors.  Just haven't turned it over.

And the replacement bldg for Hyslop.

It would be great if you were correct but I would be very surprised!

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

Can you think of any potential big donors that would benefit from a STEM building?

The state paid for ndsu's STEM building. I'd hope they would be in at last for matching funds for a UND STEM building. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/15/2018 at 2:31 PM, Nodak78 said:

Harold Hamm? 

From January: 

In response to a question about why Hamm has given millions to UND, he replied, “We wanted to hire local people. If we had a school that could teach the skill sets at home, we knew we’d have a lot of great people. There are no better workers than North Dakotans.

http://blogs.und.edu/und-today/2018/01/billionaires-advice/

• Upvote 2

On 5/14/2018 at 11:11 PM, Hammersmith said:

FYI, UND just requested to start fundraising for Phase 2. 117,000 sqft and $35M.

http://ndus.edu/uploads/resources/8832/summary-und-hpc-phase-ii-fundraising.pdf

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4443710-und-athletics-focus-shifts-second-phase-high-performance-center

Apologies if it's already been posted. Didn't see it after a quick search of the obvious threads.

Found it because NDSU requested the same fundraising authorization for two IPFs. One small one($2M - 11K sqft) just for softball, and a main one($37.2M - 120K sqft) for most everything else but T&F. NDSU's main field will be much smaller than the HPF(85K sqft vs 195K), but NDSU doesn't need the track since they have a separate indoor facility just for that. Never realized how much the track balloons out an IPF until I did the math. The FB field portion of the HPF only works out to 57,600 sqft. The remaining 135K+ sqft is all for T&F space plus a buffer around the perimeter. Don't know for certain if NDSU's will be a 100yd field like SDSU's or a full 120yd field like UND's, but either is mathematically possible at this point.

Meeting is today.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4450520-und-land-sale-could-be-tied-indoor-practice-facility-addition

UND's biggest athletic department priority has taken a step forward and an unused golf course might be providing a financial boost.

UND received approval Wednesday from the State Board of Higher Education at a meeting in Bismarck to privately fundraise $35 million for the second phase of the school's High Performance Center.

UND's request included language suggesting a land sale could provide up to $8 million toward the price tag.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Was there every renderings or drawings of the HPC Phase II ?

Can see some of the outside here.  I'm hoping for $35 million it will be bigger than what's pictured, but maybe it just looks like a small building next to Phase I.

Just now, UNDBIZ said:

Unfortunately I can't imagine the park district paying anywhere near market value for it. 

It would be a shame to see that land go towards apartment buildings which i can see a developer doing. 

On 5/15/2018 at 11:42 AM, nodak651 said:

Id think the NDSU field would be full length and width, at 85K square feet.  It will probably end up being a better facility for football only.  Our field is not truly 120 yards.  We have to put up cones for our end zones in front of the actual "end zone", because the tracks cuts half of it off.  Separate tack and football facilities are the way to go.

SDSU and UND both have 300ft tracks, but SDSU can probably actually use their end zone.

My guess is ndsu gets something like this: Related image

Somewhat similar:

NDSU IPF.JPG

On 5/29/2018 at 4:02 PM, nodak651 said:

Stunning.  NDSU decided to go with white and green steel, rather than orange like us.

5 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Our steel is not orange.

Matches the track.  It is a good look.  Not sure what color you want to call it.

HPC.jpg