SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kennedy Comments on HPC Phase II

fightingsioux4life

19 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

I received an email from the Alumni Assn with an outline of the priority projects which included the HPC Phase 2.  They included a  Survey which asks us our opinion as to prioritize those 5 areas which also include things like faculty issues/support, the student experience, the environment (buildings) and one other I can't remember maybe reasearch.  I listed HPC Phase II at the top of the list because of the importance for marketing and the student experience in addition the value of intercollegiate athletics to the University, community, region, state and alumni.  Phase II needs to include locker rooms for all athletes who don't have locker rooms at the Englestad and weight rooms, training facilities not already available, meeting rooms, lounges, offices etc.  for those teams not at Englestad.   It needs the Sports Medicine research facility.

I suggested the Alumni office take $5,000,000 from discretionary funds, ask Altru for an additional $5,000,000 and raise the rest.  If Altru opposed the UND Sanford relationship then they need to step up and replace what UND would have gotten from Sanford.  Otherwise, they need to work out a joint agreement with UND and Sanford to support this facility, sports medicine and UND athletics.  One of the Mayo Clinic guys who chaired their sports med department was interested in reviewing their potential participation in conjunction with their present  Altru agreement.  I passed that information to Faison and he was going to meet with them but it didn't get done.  I believe Phase II is in the UND plan and a priority but I doubt UND plans to ask for State Funds.  I believe they should because of the research facility that was supposed to be included in the project. ( Include anything involving concussions and there are grant dollars out there).  With Biogenetics and Stem cell research/therapy already here, UND could be one of the nation's leaders in this research if they are willing to invest the time, energy, and resources.

We are losing battles in recruiting because of a lack of Phase II progress. Recruits dont like what they see at Memorial Stadium.

As Ira stated, Phase II is definitively on Kennedy's radar for the near future. He understands it. We need it. It has to be completed within the next 5 years.

I believe it will be.....because of Mike Mannausau.

Looking to make a difference? All dollars count.

• Upvote 1

@iramurphy I didn't think about the state funds aspect of the master plan.  You are undoubtedly correct that Phase II is not shown because it will be funded privately. 

Still odd not to have it in there though.  I see the conversion of Hyslop to academics and the first thing I think is "where are you going to put athletics?"

4 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Interesting stuff. The article also states,

Light anticipated Gamble would become a "swing space" to fill whatever facilities needs UND might have at a given time.

But ultimately the master plan has that demolished too. 

I would anticipate they'll do a cost benefit analysis and find it better to just demolish Montgomery. 

Screenshot_20180126_133353.png

Had some classes with Steve Light. Glad to see he's still at UND.

5 hours ago, iramurphy said:

I received an email from the Alumni Assn with an outline of the priority projects which included the HPC Phase 2.  They included a  Survey which asks us our opinion as to prioritize those 5 areas which also include things like faculty issues/support, the student experience, the environment (buildings) and one other I can't remember maybe reasearch.  I listed HPC Phase II at the top of the list because of the importance for marketing and the student experience in addition the value of intercollegiate athletics to the University, community, region, state and alumni.  Phase II needs to include locker rooms for all athletes who don't have locker rooms at the Englestad and weight rooms, training facilities not already available, meeting rooms, lounges, offices etc.  for those teams not at Englestad.   It needs the Sports Medicine research facility.

I suggested the Alumni office take $5,000,000 from discretionary funds, ask Altru for an additional $5,000,000 and raise the rest.  If Altru opposed the UND Sanford relationship then they need to step up and replace what UND would have gotten from Sanford.  Otherwise, they need to work out a joint agreement with UND and Sanford to support this facility, sports medicine and UND athletics.  One of the Mayo Clinic guys who chaired their sports med department was interested in reviewing their potential participation in conjunction with their present  Altru agreement.  I passed that information to Faison and he was going to meet with them but it didn't get done.  I believe Phase II is in the UND plan and a priority but I doubt UND plans to ask for State Funds.  I believe they should because of the research facility that was supposed to be included in the project. ( Include anything involving concussions and there are grant dollars out there).  With Biogenetics and Stem cell research/therapy already here, UND could be one of the nation's leaders in this research if they are willing to invest the time, energy, and resources.

Trust Sanford? Don't remember the details it may have been nursing why UND turned them down last time but I think Tim O'Keef can give you the not so pleasant demands.Have you forgotten the last time we delt with them?

Local politician told me about the Sanford SU nursing agreement in Bismark. He said that deal should have gone to UND. Now  you see 30 Million private funded nursing addition at SU. Strings tied to donations? Beware. Wonder what strings are tied to donations by Sanford to SU or other schools. 

• Upvote 2

When this Sanford donation process was going on last time I remember posting thinking this doesn't feel right to me.And I ran into Tim O'keek outside the  gateway McDonalds. I told him my concerns about Sanford and I think he believed me and I'm sure he felt the same way. Tim and UND turned Sanford down.

2 hours ago, moser53 said:

Trust Sanford? Don't remember the details it may have been nursing why UND turned them down last time but I think Tim O'Keef can give you the not so pleasant demands.Have you forgotten the last time we delt with them?

Local politician told me about the Sanford SU nursing agreement in Bismark. He said that deal should have gone to UND. Now  you see 30 Million private funded nursing addition at SU. Strings tied to donations? Beware. Wonder what strings are tied to donations by Sanford to SU or other schools. 

The deal was $10,000,000 to UND and Sanford wanted the  Sports Medicine contract.  Would have been similar to what Sanford gave to NDSU for the same $10,000,000.  Since that time the $10,000,000 has been more millions.  Sanford also wanted to establish a relationship with the Med school similar to what they have with USD. Sanford's Orthopedic and Sports Medicine Resources are excellent.  At one time the deal was thought to be finalized and the Sanford Executives cleared their calendars to come to Grand Forks to seal the deal.  UND abruptly pulled out of the tentative agreement.  I was told it was the UND attorney who was a big negative factor.  O'Keefe wasn't the decision maker.   I was told that Altru wasn't happy with it but wouldn't have tried to stop it but I don't know that.  It would have caused quite a debate because at the time Sanford's GF presence was primarily in EGF.

I did find the email which listed the signature priorities:

1.Enrich the Student Experience. 2.Recruit and retain faculty. 3.Advance discoveries that better our lives. 4.Build an environment that support excellence. 5.Increase support for our student athletes. The paragraph about increasing support for student athletes included the Phase II comments.

Yes,  the Bismarck Nursing should have gone to Sanford. I think Sanford has been a lot more open to negotiations than you may have been led to believe I don't know the details about the Nursing School in Bismarck but the Fargo politicians and NDSU supporters  want that close relationship with Sanford to benefit NDSU and NDSU athletics and it is paying off big time for them.

Edited by iramurphy
Correct error
  • Upvote 4

Out of those five you selected "increase support for our student athletes" as number one? That would be an interesting survey and although I have barely given it any thought because I wasn't invited to take the survey I feel like the student athletes are such a small percentage of our student body population.... This is something I will have to ponder...

12 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

The deal was $10,000,000 to UND and Sanford wanted the  Sports Medicine contract.  Would have been similar to what Sanford got from NDSU for the same $10,000,000.  Since that time the $10,000,000 has been more millions.  Sanford also wanted to establish a relationship with the Med school similar to what they have with USD. Sanford's Orthopedic and Sports Medicine Resources are excellent.  At one time the deal was thought to be finalized and the Sanford Executives cleared their calendars to come to Grand Forks to seal the deal.  UND abruptly pulled out of the tentative agreement.  I was told it was the UND attorney who was a big negative factor.  O'Keefe wasn't the decision maker.   I was told that Altru wasn't happy with it but wouldn't have tried to stop it but I don't know that.  It would have caused quite a debate because at the time Sanford's GF presence was primarily in EGF.

I did find the email which listed the signature priorities:

1.Enrich the Student Experience. 2.Recruit and retain faculty. 3.Advance discoveries that better our lives. 4.Build an environment that support excellence. 5.Increase support for our student athletes. The paragraph about increasing support for student athletes included the Phase II comments.

Yes,  the Bismarck Nursing should have gone to Sanford. I think Sanford has been a lot more open to negotiations than you may have been led to believe I don't know the details about the Nursing School in Bismarck but the Fargo politicians and NDSU supporters  want that close relationship with Sanford to benefit NDSU and NDSU athletics and it is paying off big time for them.

I don't know or talk to many in the know people. I did talk to that one guy about Bismarck. I'm a retired railroad worker.Your comments make me think. If Sanford has above board good intentions about dealing with UND why did UND turn them down. Why.

Why has there been a lot of bad news for UND the past decade.Why 500 Million needed for building upkeep.Why 2 tribes needed to keep the Sioux nickname instead of one. Did the State, HighEd Board and Kelly say no cause it was to good of a deal for UND? Or were they protecting UND? Hard me to believe they were protecting UND the way things have played out since 1999.

1 hour ago, WiSioux said:

Out of those five you selected "increase support for our student athletes" as number one? That would be an interesting survey and although I have barely given it any thought because I wasn't invited to take the survey I feel like the student athletes are such a small percentage of our student body population.... This is something I will have to ponder...

I don't believe that increased support for our student athletes is more important than the others. I listed it as my top priority for a few reasons.  I don't think a lot of other  people who take the survey will put athletics as a top priority so I did.  Attracting and retaining faculty, the student experience and the environment/ facilities for the general population are all more important   I believe Phase II of the HPC is essential if we are going to have consistent success at the DI level.  Athletic success enhances the student experience and is an important vehicle for marketing the University and the other more important priorities.  When people tour the campus they look at the building that houses their major but also  want to see student housing, the cafeterias, the media center/library, student union, and student fitness facility.  They also tend to envision a college experience attending athletic events and concerts etc..  Those facilities are often the facilities people think of when they envision campus buildings. I believe the HPC Phase II project doesn't have the momentum needed to complete the project in the near future without a shot in the arm. We need a new building for the College of Business but we have influential Alumni who not only have the resources to help that along but also the interest to make it happen.  Although the # of student athletes is only a small percentage of our students they provide the entertainment that is an important part of the college experience for most of our students. One might argue that the success of our athletic teams is our best marketing tool.   Studies have shown how athletic success not only will increase student enrollment but increases donations to the University in all areas including athletics. Thus my reasoning for listing it as my top priority at this time.

1 hour ago, moser53 said:

I don't know or talk to many in the know people. I did talk to that one guy about Bismarck. I'm a retired railroad worker.Your comments make me think. If Sanford has above board good intentions about dealing with UND why did UND turn them down. Why.

Why has there been a lot of bad news for UND the past decade.Why 500 Million needed for building upkeep.Why 2 tribes needed to keep the Sioux nickname instead of one. Did the State, HighEd Board and Kelly say no cause it was to good of a deal for UND? Or were they protecting UND? Hard me to believe they were protecting UND the way things have played out since 1999.

Good question.  I don't believe Sanford Health would just donate that amount without something in return. The donation to NDSU allowed them to get the Sports Medicine contract away from Essentia Health.  The team Orthopedic Surgeon then left Essentia and joined Sanford.  Carson Wentz does promos for Sanford Sports Med.  When NDSU is on TV you can see medical personnel with Sanford logos and Sanford supports those broadcasts with advertising. I believe Sanford would have liked to also have had the exposure at the Frozen Four and NCAA VB, WBB, FB and MBB with UND in the last 2 years. I think when one deals with a corporation that seems to be gobbling up smaller entities all over the region most people tend to be cautious. Add the feeling that Sanford is a Fargo organization instead of a Sioux Falls organization then people from GF and UND will usually be even more cautious.  Other than that your guess is as good as mine.  

I started in health care just before man landed on the moon..... don’t get me started. Check out your state’s top non-profits. In my statecthe top 10 are all health care and in the top 20 there is only one that is not health care. I just listened to a non-profit for elderly housing plead poverty so they could increase rates from $1000 a month to $1500. They plan to pay their staff better while the CEO earned $458,000 a year and they had a profit last year of $850,000....

never will any corporate  health care do anything that will not line their pockets.... they want the big bucks  BUT all water over the damn... focus on the future 

topics for the survey looked good....

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Good question.  I don't believe Sanford Health would just donate that amount without something in return. The donation to NDSU allowed them to get the Sports Medicine contract away from Essentia Health.  The team Orthopedic Surgeon then left Essentia and joined Sanford.  Carson Wentz does promos for Sanford Sports Med.  When NDSU is on TV you can see medical personnel with Sanford logos and Sanford supports those broadcasts with advertising. I believe Sanford would have liked to also have had the exposure at the Frozen Four and NCAA VB, WBB, FB and MBB with UND in the last 2 years. I think when one deals with a corporation that seems to be gobbling up smaller entities all over the region most people tend to be cautious. Add the feeling that Sanford is a Fargo organization instead of a Sioux Falls organization then people from GF and UND will usually be even more cautious.  Other than that your guess is as good as mine.  

I know with donations from Sanford to NDSU there was also a requirement to work a deal with Sanford’s debt collections and also change all ATMs to something tied to Sanford.  One other financial one as well.  I’ll do some checking the next time Im with a neighbor who knows the details. It was a bit more than just the sports med contract but nothing too crazy. 

19 hours ago, homer said:

I know with donations from Sanford to NDSU there was also a requirement to work a deal with Sanford’s debt collections and also change all ATMs to something tied to Sanford.  One other financial one as well.  I’ll do some checking the next time Im with a neighbor who knows the details. It was a bit more than just the sports med contract but nothing too crazy. 

????  That doesn't make sense.  Sanford Health has nothing to do with ATM's, they aren't in the banking business.  NDSU  isn't in the debt collection business so that doesn't make sense to me either.  I don't know the details of the arrangement between NDSU and Sanford other than the $10,000,000 and the Sports Med contract.  Our high school has a contract with Sanford for Sports Med / Athletic Trainer coverage  and it includes program recognition and game time recognition that Sports Med coverage is provided by Sanford.  Also Sports Med services belong exclusively to Sanford so I assume similar recognition and exclusive rights would be included in the contract with NDSU.  Ask your buddy to explain what  he/she is talking about and where they get their info.

2 hours ago, iramurphy said:

I spoke with Kennedy last night at the hockey game and I believe the funds for Phase II are going to need to be donations and there is a long way to go.

Unless they can pull the wool over the legislature's eyes by including some academics in there, nothing had changed that it was going to be funded privately. I assume there are some sort commitments in place but clearly by the new literature floating around, a good chunk still needs to be raised. 

Paper today....

Sanford Health, a SD-based health system with global division in NINE countries with 30 locations, has an operating income of $151 million on $4.4 BILLION in revenue for the fiscal year ending in June

just saying.... my mother always said,”Money talks.”

21 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

Paper today....

Sanford Health, a SD-based health system with global division in NINE countries with 30 locations, has an operating income of $151 million on $4.4 BILLION in revenue for the fiscal year ending in June

just saying.... my mother always said,”Money talks.”

Altru Hospital in GF pretty small compared to Sanford. How kind would Sanford be to GF and UND if they take over? Altru dam near a sure thing.How long b4 Sanford is gobbled up. And the giving ends. Could this be a Trojan Horse?  Denny Sanford wonder what his plans for Sanford are when his time with his empire are over.

I was looking at the University's with the biggest Foundations 2 are in Chicago.Northwestern and U of Chicago a D3 school I think. Would bet most of there donations come from the Chicago area. They gave $ to schools in there hometown.Not as much to U of Illinois. A guess on my part. Not having some corporate partners in GF scares me. 

6 hours ago, iramurphy said:

I spoke with Kennedy last night at the hockey game and I believe the funds for Phase II are going to need to be donations and there is a long way to go.

You were at the hockey. Jeff Kolpack was in the Ralph over the weekend. He said on his Saturday morning radio show. Kennedy was at the hockey games  And no $ out there for Phase II insite. Who 's happy about it and who's sad. 

1 hour ago, moser53 said:

Altru Hospital in GF pretty small compared to Sanford. How kind would Sanford be to GF and UND if they take over? Altru dam near a sure thing.How long b4 Sanford is gobbled up. And the giving ends. Could this be a Trojan Horse?  Denny Sanford wonder what his plans for Sanford are when his time with his empire are over.

I was looking at the University's with the biggest Foundations 2 are in Chicago.Northwestern and U of Chicago a D3 school I think. Would bet most of there donations come from the Chicago area. They gave $ to schools in there hometown.Not as much to U of Illinois. A guess on my part. Not having some corporate partners in GF scares me. 

Harvard, Yale, Stanford and Texas have more than triple the endowment of U of Chicago.  Michigan has a greater endowment than either.  Grinnell College in Iowa has over a billion, so guess all the corporations there are responsible.  Most endowments are funded by individual's that made very wise and breathtaking rises in net worth often by founding a company.

30 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Harvard, Yale, Stanford and Texas have more than triple the endowment of U of Chicago.  Michigan has a greater endowment than either.  Grinnell College in Iowa has over a billion, so guess all the corporations there are responsible.  Most endowments are funded by individual's that made very wise and breathtaking rises in net worth often by founding a company.

What did I read here the biggest $ givers to NDSU have UND ties? To your post.

OK those schools have triple the endowment. I'm just saying it looks like the schools in cities where there  are wealthy people corporations have a better chance for gifts.

When Ralph Engelstad passed away it was open season on UND. Money =Power

10 minutes ago, moser53 said:

What did I read here the biggest $ givers to NDSU have UND ties? To your post.

OK those schools have triple the endowment. I'm just saying it looks like the schools in cities where there  are wealthy people corporations have a better chance for gifts.

When Ralph Engelstad passed away it was open season on UND. Money =Power

Their are now rumors that a school like LaSalle will change conferences from the A-10 as they have a pittance for an endowment even though they are located in Philadelphia.  Grinnell has $1.8 billion in endowment, as a graduate was the founder of Intel, a multibillion dollar company.   Corporations sometimes match gifts to a certain dollar amount, but usually a donor gives stock, but a corporation would laugh at that.

NDSU has too many farmers and ranchers, who don't give land to anyone but keep it in their family.  UND's grads for the most part have much more disposable wealth, so they more freely give.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Their are now rumors that a school like LaSalle will change conferences from the A-10 as they have a pittance for an endowment even though they are located in Philadelphia.  Grinnell has $1.8 billion in endowment, as a graduate was the founder of Intel, a multibillion dollar company.   Corporations sometimes match gifts to a certain dollar amount, but usually a donor gives stock, but a corporation would laugh at that.

NDSU has too many farmers and ranchers, who don't give land to anyone but keep it in their family.  UND's grads for the most part have much more disposable wealth, so they more freely give.

Yes give more freely. How many cups of coffee have there been in Fargo talking about what you have rightly pointed out. [ what are we going to do to change that]. The plan is in place and we all know it.

Will there be a private Med Law school in Fargo? Will there be D1 hockey in Fargo? If you love Fargo this is what you want and plan for. When the pro Fargo people look at what is going on in Fargo you want it all. They look at Grand Fors as a bigger Vermillion. Not in there ballpark.