SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ Bulldogs - SATURDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

7 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

There was talk by many here prior to this season that Pogo was the prototype NHL power forward..............................................9 goals in 26 games doesn't scream that. He stays on the list.

.....and leading the team with 9...NINE...goals 2/3rds thru the season means the "lead in goals" bar is set very low.

You can still recognize he's vastly improved in the last few series and setting a good tone as captain with his play.  

5 game point streak with 5 G 3 A, despite his slow start he's one of the positives of this team so far.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

You can still recognize he's vastly improved in the last few series and setting a good tone as captain with his play.  

5 game point streak with 5 G 3 A, despite his slow start he's one of the positives of this team so far.

But, he's not currently in the NHL, so it doesn't matter ;)

7 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Too lazy to research this but out of 60 NCAA teams how many at this stage today have a leading goal scorer that is NOT in single digits?

I'll hang up and listen...............................................................................

16 including UND, Minnesota, and BC....about 6-7 schools leading goal scorer is 10.

Michigan Tech is 7th in the country in goals scored and doesn't have an individual with more than 9 goals...I believe this was our intended blueprint this year as well.

• Upvote 1

The narrative is much different after the losses at Duluth last weekend.  Those were the first times we had lost the entire season when we scored 2 goals in a game.  It appears to me that this board would be so much more optimistic with at least a split in Duluth.  To be sure, we need to score more than we have going forward, but we also need to get back to being able to say that if we score 3 goals we will win the game almost all of the time.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, petey23 said:

16 including UND, Minnesota, and BC....about 6-7 schools leading goal scorer is 10.

Michigan Tech is 7th in the country in goals scored and doesn't have an individual with more than 9 goals...I believe this was our intended blueprint this year as well.

My intended blueprint had Gersich with 20g

3 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Precisely.

I'd also like to know how many teams has as my players in double digit point totals than we do.

6 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Too lazy to research this but out of 60 NCAA teams how many at this stage today have a leading goal scorer that is NOT in single digits?

I'll hang up and listen...............................................................................

SCSU’s leading goal scorer has 10. And it’s their only goal scorer in double digits. UMD has one goal scorer in double digits and 2 of those were empty net goals this weekend. 

Cornell, a highly ranked team, has 1 double digit goal scorer, with 11.

I just don’t things are as dire as everyone thinks. Denver has three big scorers but they don’t have much else. 

2 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Seems very realistic based on how we played the majority of the season. Last weekend? Not so much.

I'm still hopeful and apparently more optimistic than most on here haha.

Agreed. I also do think we can sweep either Omaha or Miami. I’m basing this off our prior series with those teams. 

I am optimistic because I really think special teams is what is holding us back. The reality is that if we can figure out how to take less penalties and improve in special teams things wouldn’t look so bleak. Yeah it’s a big if, but it’s not yet a loss cause. 

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

So, that would equate to about 28 goals in an 82 game NHL season. That's pretty much elite NHL PF. Pogo has been very good in the second half.

I really hope you were kidding about that comparison.  Using your logic Ryan Duncan should be able to score about 90 goals a season in the NHL.  Pogo is a very solid college player but on most past UND teams he would be a 2nd line scorer, not the guy on the top line that everyone is counting on to score.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Denver-split

CC-sweep

Omaha-win, tie

Miami-split

SCSU-split

That is probably the best case scenario.  Unfortunately, since the young studs in Duluth finally got their feet under them it seems likely that UND will be lucky to even hold on to home ice.

8 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

I really hope you were kidding about that comparison.  Using your logic Ryan Duncan should be able to score about 90 goals a season in the NHL.  Pogo is a very solid college player but on most past UND teams he would be a 2nd line scorer, not the guy on the top line that everyone is counting on to score.

No, because Ryan Duncan isn't a prototype body for the position he plays, like Pogo is, and which most power forwards are and yes, what pogo is, a true 2nd line scorer. 

I'm just all done with everyone whining about what everyone isn't. 

• Upvote 1