SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ Bulldogs - SATURDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

2 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Tyson Jost/Brock Boeser as freshman = sophomore/juniorish Drake Caggiula.

Awfully tough to replace players every single year when they leave as freshmen or sophomores.  Sorry, but while Tyson Jost may potentially be an NHL superstar, his time at UND is pretty much a blip on the radar screen.  

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Cratter said:

The best player UND has coming in next year is Tychonick and he's rated the 45th best NA player by NHL Central Scouting

By comparison Mishmash was no. 24. 

Tell me who is going to be a first round pick in 2 to 3 years?  Remember, at one point people were talking about Mitchell Mattson as a potential first rounder, and many on this board were super excited about his verbal.  People are complaining about guys that are years away, yet many of those complaining barely gave Nick Jones a second thought coming into this year.  

6 minutes ago, Cratter said:

The best player UND has coming in next year is Tychonick and he's rated the 45th best NA player.

By comparison Mishmash was no. 24. 

Some mocks have him going late first, but I understand what you are saying. Mishmash went 61st.

So 2017 had 2 Blue Chippers at the time they committed to college in Casey Mittelsteadt and Josh Norris and 3 others who can now be considered Blue Chip Recruits in Poehling, Oettinger, and Bowers.

2018 looks to have 5 in Tkachuk, Hughes, Wahlstrom, Farabee, and Samuelsson.

I guess when I see 30-35% of NHL rosters being made up of College players I have a lower standard of what I consider a top end recruit I guess?

• Upvote 1

Just now, MafiaMan said:

Awfully tough to replace players every single year when they leave as freshmen or sophomores.  Sorry, but while Tyson Jost may potentially be an NHL superstar, his time at UND is pretty much a blip on the radar screen.  

Man, glad someone said it. Tyson’s a great player but he was here a year. We didn’t win any championships while he was here. At the end of the day I’ll remember more of the players that had more of an impact on the program. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

However, Boesser was the scoring touch we needed to win #8 - can't see us winning without him.  Look around the league - other teams are getting top scorers, why can't we.  Of the top 10 WCHC scoring leaders there are 6 sophomores - none are ours.  If next year has no scorers either it could be a long season - one we are not used to at UND.  I can see absolutely no reason we are not signing some studs.  

2 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Some mocks have him going late first, but I understand what you are saying. Mishmash went 61st.

So 2017 had 2 Blue Chippers at the time they committed to college in Casey Mittelsteadt and Josh Norris and 3 others who can now be considered Blue Chip Recruits in Poehling, Oettinger, and Bowers.

I guess when I see 30-35% of NHL rosters being made up of College players I have a lower standard of what I consider a top end recruit I guess?

Very tough to predict who will continue to develop and be a star.  What sucks is that not long ago, it was hard to find an undrafted guy on the roster.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, petey23 said:

But wait, Michigan has a few of those players, why are they not the best team in the country.  Come to think of it, they had Dylan Larkin, Jacob Trouba, Zach Werenski, and Kyle Connor too.

There are players on our current roster who had productive junior careers, who everyone thought would be more productive offensively than they currently are. We know who they are. Recruiting is a crap shoot because we don’t know who is going to develop in college and at what rate. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Yea, we need more of those guys...the one and dones...and less of four year slugs like Drake Caggiula.  

Let’s see that magic ball to find guys like caggiula. Whoever could do that would have a nice scouting contract waiting for them in show.

NCAA Scoring Leaders

Blue Chippers

2. Henrik Borgstrom-23rd...20, SO.

Grunts

1. Adam Gaudette-149th...21, JR.

3. Nick Holloran-undrafted...20, SO.

4. Dylan Mclaughlin-undrafted...22, JR.

5. Tanner Lacynski-169th...20, SO.

6. Dylan Sikura-178th...22, SR.

7. Brady Ferguson-undrafted...23, SR.

8. C.J. Seuss-129th...23, SR.

9. David Pope-109th...23, SR.

10. Cooper Marody-158th...21, JR.

11. Wade Allison-52nd...20, SO.

12. Mason Bergh-undrafted...22, JR.

13. Andrew Sturtz-undrafted...23, JR.

14. Dylan Gambrell-60th...21, JR.

15. Taro Hirose-undrafted...21, SO.

16. Ryan Donato-56th...21, JR.

17. Erik Foley-78th...20, JR.

18. Troy Terry-148th...20, JR.

19. Jake Evans-207th...21, SR.

20. Scott Pooley-undrafted...23, SR.

The leading scoring defensemen in the country is an undrafted player from Bismarck, ND...22, SO.

• Like 2

Just now, petey23 said:

NCAA Scoring Leaders

Blue Chippers

2. Henrik Borgstrom

Grunts

1. Adam Gaudette

3. Nick Holloran

4. Dylan Mclaughlin

5. Tanner Lacynski

6. Dylan Sikura

7. Brady Ferguson

8. C.J. Seuss

9. David Pope

10. Cooper Marody

11. Wade Allison

12. Mason Bergh

13. Andrew Sturtz

14. Dylan Gambrell

15. Taro Hirose

16. Ryan Donato

17. Erik Foley

18. Troy Terry

19. Jake Evans

20. Scott Pooley

A decent chunk of those guys were drafted in the top 3 rounds...grunts?  On our current roster who do we have in the top three rounds?  I mean, we only have like 6 drafted players in our entire team (a number that’s been free falling in the past couple years).  Even guys like ladue and t poolman were drafted because they dominated juniors.  Also, in that listing how many of the players were undrafted?

9 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

A decent chunk of those guys were drafted in the top 3 rounds...grunts?  On our current roster who do we have in the top three rounds?  I mean, we only have like 6 drafted players in our entire team (a number that’s been free falling in the past couple years).  Even guys like ladue and t poolman were drafted because they dominated juniors.  Also, in that listing how many of the players were undrafted?

I didn't set the Blue Chip standard....grunts is probably an exaggeration to make a point. I have updated my list with players draft slots.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

He's going on the first round as the standard. 

17 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

On one side of the ledger you have guys like Parise, Toews, Oshie, Grimaldi, Stafford, Zajac, Forbert, both Schmaltzs, and Brock Nelson.  On the other side guys like Tambellini and Jost.  Not only is it worth the risk getting high end players, I would submit that we wouldn't have had half the success we have had without them.  

Casey Mittelstadt at 102nd on that list, and the BU diaper dandies aren't up top either.  It's all relative if a high round guy isn't scoring or a four year guy isn't scoring.  At least you know guys like Adams, Kawaguchi, will have the chance to grow before they are gone in a heartbeat.  

Just now, petey23 said:

I didn't set the Blue Chip standard....grunts is probably an exaggeration to make a point.

I’m not bashing the current team, I still like them if they can get more consistent.

all I’m trying to do is point out that the recruiting angle has been changing a bit (not sure why just point out a fact).  The point I was trying to make is a lot of those grunts were drafted in rounds 2-5.  I think we need those types of guys.  I get the caggiulas and stechers of the world are nice...when you can land them.  But we need more of those guys that get drafted.

3 minutes ago, Irish said:

On one side of the ledger you have guys like Parise, Toews, Oshie, Grimaldi, Stafford, Zajac, Forbert, both Schmaltzs, and Brock Nelson.  On the other side guys like Tambellini and Jost.  Not only is it worth the risk getting high end players, I would submit that we wouldn't have had half the success we have had without them.  

But weren't those guys a failure in your eyes because they couldn't win a Natty.  Wait, that is all on Hakstol. 

9 minutes ago, petey23 said:

NCAA Scoring Leaders

Blue Chippers

2. Henrik Borgstrom

Grunts

1. Adam Gaudette

3. Nick Holloran

4. Dylan Mclaughlin

5. Tanner Lacynski

6. Dylan Sikura

7. Brady Ferguson

8. C.J. Seuss

9. David Pope

10. Cooper Marody

11. Wade Allison

12. Mason Bergh

13. Andrew Sturtz

14. Dylan Gambrell

15. Taro Hirose

16. Ryan Donato

17. Erik Foley

18. Troy Terry

19. Jake Evans

20. Scott Pooley

And none of them ours. - Hell, we don't have anyone in the top 50.  That's what people are saying.  It isn't necessary first rounders, its guys who can put the puck in the net.  We have a serious deficit in recruiting scorers and next year doesn't appear to be the fix.  No way this should happen at the University of North Dakota.

• Upvote 1