SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (4-7) vs Idaho (8-4) 12/29 7 PM

SWSiouxMN

It was clear tonight why Idaho was picked to win the league despite not playing very well. They have shooters, a lot of length and are very athletic. Sanders only played 19 minutes and didn't even score in the second half.

Lack of depth showed big time tonight with Jafar having to start for Jones. No length and no second guy to play in the post with Avants to help break up the zone. The struggle shouldn't be a huge surprise when you lose 5 of your top 8 guys (by minutes played from last year), which could maybe be mitigated a bit if 3 of them wouldn't have been unexpected, especially when the unexpected losses are all at the 4/5 position where UND is extremely weak right now. The rotation would look a lot different and a lot better right now if Drick, Shanks and Collins were available. There isn't really a way to plan ahead for that, when you don't have anyone waiting in the wings quite yet because you expect to have one or two more years.

That being said, I'm not sure what that was tonight, especially on the offensive end. Couple guys seem tenative to shoot, which made breaking that zone seem impossible. I wasn't surprised to see them come out flat but that exceeded expectations in the wrong way. Need to hope Dale is back soon (thanks for the jinx Tom!!) and they can get into the rhythm they slowly seemed to be finding. Geno/Marlo/Tez have the talent to carry this team with some secondary help, but they can't seem to get on the same page. Hoping they figure something out soon.

46 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

geno, marlon, cortez, drick, and shanks would be a nice starting 5

Start Avants over Shanks and have him and Dale the first two off the bench plus Jafar and Billy. You have a nice 9 man rotation and Kienan gets another year to learn and bulk up while playing some minutes. 

53 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Expectations have to be lowered for this year and next

That's done quite a bit around these parts, especially for non-hockey sports.

Lower Expectations U, Grand Forks, ND

I'm quite apathetic at this point. Shame it has to come to this. Holding out slight hope due to the new AD. 

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I'm quite apathetic at this point. Shame it has to come to this. Holding out slight hope due to the new AD. 

I agree. Had the game on last night but wasn’t really watching 

hockey isn’t done yet :D

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I think Mark Pryor and the volleyball program might disagree with that notion. 

both bball team needs to pick/step it up.  No lowered expectation from me, they need to figure it out and fast or else they will start 1-5 in conference play. 

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 7:52 PM, UND-1 said:

What is going on with Geno this year?  Since Hawaii he has been MIA.  Needs to dominate. 

You nailed it on the head, I've been wondering the same exact thing.  And in today's game vs Eastern Europe he had 10 pts after 10 minutes then only got like 3 pts over next 20 minutes or so.