SiouxSports.com Forum

World Juniors 2017-2018

Wilbur

1 hour ago, tnt said:

He hasn’t exactly been ripping up college hockey at this point.  There have been many games I’ve seen where he wasn’t that noticeable, except if they had a power play.  He might be able to hold his own on the offensive end, but you better be able to play at the other end as well, as Edmonton has shown so often over the past decade.  That said, I imagine Mittelstadt will put up a lot better numbers the second half with the confidence he has coming off of the World Juniors.

He’s done pretty well to me.

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

It's reallly quite simple.  The #1 and #2 teams from the previous year are placed in Pool A and Pool B, respectively.  This was completely blown up this year so that a gimmick outdoor game could be played in the preliminary rounds.  Period. 

So what do we do when Russia and Belarus end up in what would be opposite pools and the tournament scheduled to be played in Moscow?  How about Sweden and Finland in an outdoor game in Helsinki?  Brackets be damned, let's help the IIHF make some more money off of the backs of teenage kids! 

And don't even get me started about the obvious pandering to Buffalo Bills football fans with the money-grab "hockey" jersey worn yesterday.  What a disgrace.  I can't wait for an outdoor game in LA and the opportunity for Team USA to don some Laker blue and gold jerseys!  Or maybe have a game in Fenway Park and the American kids can bust out some Celtic colors!  Imagine the possibilities to make some more money!    

To be honest, I'm a casual watcher of the WJC as it typically comes at a time with no college hockey to watch. I would have never known about this bracket integrity issue until you said something about it. So, for me, I enjoyed watching that game yesterday and I have no doubt in my mind those kids loved playing in it. It'll be a great memory for them.

With that being said, no, I am not in favor of it ruining the integrity of the tournament. That does suck. I never said, nor implied, that I was. I simply did not know. However, that game was fun, IMO. At the end of the day, I wouldn't want this to happen every year. 

Haha yes, those Bills jerseys were so bad. So, so awful. 

5 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

He’s done pretty well to me.

Definitely done well, especially for a freshman, similar to Mismash.  I just don’t think that makes him NHL ready.   We were raving on this site about Jost being unbelievable last year, probably more so than what I’ve seen on GPL about Mittelstadt, but that next step is a big one.