SiouxSports.com Forum

World Juniors 2017-2018

Wilbur

10 hours ago, SiouxBoys said:

Absolutely embarrassing crowd turnout

It would be an absolute joke if the Ralph never gets the World Junior again based on capacity. Every USA game (other than the outdoor obviously) has had pathetic attendance. I don't know if the Canada games have been much better attendance but it would be a shame if they don't consider the Ralph's bid seriously moving forward.

24 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

It would be an absolute joke if the Ralph never gets the World Junior again based on capacity. Every USA game (other than the outdoor obviously) has had pathetic attendance. I don't know if the Canada games have been much better attendance but it would be a shame if they don't consider the Ralph's bid seriously moving forward.

Would be a huge get, BUT I'm still pretty embarrassed by the U18 attendance two years ago. I wouldn't blame any sanctioning body for holding that against GF/REA for a long time.

2 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Would be a huge get, BUT I'm still pretty embarrassed by the U18 attendance two years ago. I wouldn't blame any sanctioning body for holding that against GF/REA for a long time.

I would be more embarrassed by the U20 crowds in Buffalo. They have somewhat recent history of attendance numbers at the Ralph for the U20 so it would be weak if they held the U18 attendance against them.

6 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

A)  What was the attendance for that tournament two years ago?

B)  Sorry, but there is a HUGE difference between the World Juniors and the U18 tournament.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MafiaMan said:

A)  What was the attendance for that tournament two years ago?

B)  Sorry, but there is a HUGE difference between the World Juniors and the U18 tournament.  

A) Awful

B) I believe that U18 attendance data from 2 years ago is actually more predictive of local support than U20 from 13 years ago.  The economy, fan interest, changing media habits of sports fans, newness of REA...all of those things vary with time.

24 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Sorry, but there is a HUGE difference between the World Juniors and the U18 tournament.  

This. 

Not even local interest, but also worldwide too. I have no doubt in my mind that if the REA hosted the WJC tourney again that attendance would be closer to last time they hosted it rather than the U18 attendance. 

• Upvote 1

Buffalo can’t host again.  Bad weather or not you can’t have an empty arena when the host nation is on the ice.  

I’d rather see it hosted in Canada when it’s in North America so there is actual atmosphere for these kids.  

Tomorrows afternoon semi vs. Sweden I’ll predict 6,000 people in the rink.  

6 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Buffalo can’t host again.  Bad weather or not you can’t have an empty arena when the host nation is on the ice.  

I’d rather see it hosted in Canada when it’s in North America so there is actual atmosphere for these kids.  

Tomorrows afternoon semi vs. Sweden I’ll predict 6,000 people in the rink.  

Wilbur, this tournament is already being hosted in Canada every other year.  Any more than that is pretty much overkill.  Obviously, Sweden, Finland, and Russia are the best European sites to host this event but the United States HAS to figure something out.  If this gig was in St Paul in two years, I'd buy a couple of tickets today!  

2 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Wilbur, this tournament is already being hosted in Canada every other year.  Any more than that is pretty much overkill.  Obviously, Sweden, Finland, and Russia are the best European sites to host this event but the United States HAS to figure something out.  If this gig was in St Paul in two years, I'd buy a couple of tickets today!  

Those countries need to figure it out too 

2016 Finland -- 215,226 (7,174 per match)
2014 Sweden -- 144,268 (4,654 per match)
2013 Russia -- 110,175 (3,554 per match)

1982 (Bloomington, Minneapolis, Duluth as well as Winnipeg (two Canadian games) and Kenora) -- 86,941 (3,105/match)

1989 (Anchorage, Eagle River) -- 45,934 (1,641/match)

1996 (Boston, Amherst, Marlborough) -- no attendance listed other than the comment "Attendance was less than spectacular."

2005 (Grand Forks, Thief River Falls) -- 193,256 (6,234/match)

2011 (Buffalo, Lewiston) -- 329,687 (10,635/match)

2018 (Buffalo after 25 matches) -- 167,784 (6,711 per match). Obviously the semi finals and finals will effect the average but as of now if it weren’t for the outdoor game the average would be below the average when in GF. 

18 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

Those countries need to figure it out too 

2016 Finland -- 215,226 (7,174 per match)
2014 Sweden -- 144,268 (4,654 per match)
2013 Russia -- 110,175 (3,554 per match)

1982 (Bloomington, Minneapolis, Duluth as well as Winnipeg (two Canadian games) and Kenora) -- 86,941 (3,105/match)

1989 (Anchorage, Eagle River) -- 45,934 (1,641/match)

1996 (Boston, Amherst, Marlborough) -- no attendance listed other than the comment "Attendance was less than spectacular."

2005 (Grand Forks, Thief River Falls) -- 193,256 (6,234/match)

2011 (Buffalo, Lewiston) -- 329,687 (10,635/match)

2018 (Buffalo after 25 matches) -- 167,784 (6,711 per match). Obviously the semi finals and finals will effect the average but as of now if it weren’t for the outdoor game the average would be below the average when in GF. 

Bingo.  Attendance had been embarrassing.

11 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

I'm for whatever site gets butts in the seats.  I'd like to see St. Paul get a turn.  I completely understand that you aren't going to get a big crowd for Sweden vs. Belarus, or Russia vs. Denmark when it's in North America, but when the States is playing Russia in an 18,000 seat rink is it too much to ask for 15,000 people to be there?

Semifinal day from Buffalo.  One matchup is a layup, the other will be a coin toss.

Canada vs. Czech Republic......unless the Czech goalie has another horse shoe in his breezers or a leprechaun sitting on his net this one gets out of hand.  6-1 Canada.

USA vs. Sweden......this can go either way.  Team defense is the key to me.  Both teams are good with the puck, but when they are in their own end they both leave a bit to be desired.  With 18,000 screaming New Yorkers reigning USA chants down at the Swedes I’ll take the USA 4-3.

Big day for Belarus as they get booted if they lose to Denmark.  

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Semifinal day from Buffalo.  One matchup is a layup, the other will be a coin toss.

Canada vs. Czech Republic......unless the Czech goalie has another horse shoe in his breezers or a leprechaun sitting on his net this one gets out of hand.  6-1 Canada.

USA vs. Sweden......this can go either way.  Team defense is the key to me.  Both teams are good with the puck, but when they are in their own end they both leave a bit to be desired.  With 18,000 screaming New Yorkers reigning USA chants down at the Swedes I’ll take the USA 4-3.

It's raining, Wilbur.  Unless you want to be king of SiouxSports.com for the day, then it's reigning.  :glare:

Czechs in a historic upset today...4-3.  USA takes down Sweden 5-3.  Canada calls the IIHF and says they would like to play another outdoor game, so the IIHF sends the Czechs to the 3rd place game against Sweden, prints up 30,000 more tickets, and gets the Zamboni outside.  Make it rain (or is that reign?) $ for the IIHF.  

That's my prediction and I'm sticking to it.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Wilbur said:

USA vs. Sweden......this can go either way.  Team defense is the key to me.  Both teams are good with the puck, but when they are in their own end they both leave a bit to be desired.  With 1,800 screaming New Yorkers reigning USA chants down at the Swedes I’ll take the USA 4-3.

Fixed your post. :)

• Upvote 1