SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (4-5) @ SDSU (8-4) 12/12 7 PM

SWSiouxMN

UND got flat out punched in the face against their arch rivals and couldn't recover in time to come away with the victory for the 3rd year in a row at the Betty.  UND has to now forget that and turn around and head south to Brookings to take on a very good Jackrabbit squad.

All time UND is 106-82 all time verses SDSU, but the Bunnies have been dominate at home verses UND, holding a 55-35 advantage.  In D-1 play, SDSU holds a 4-1 advantage and UND has lost all 4 games down in Frost including two recent hearbreakers.

SDSU has another solid ball club under 2nd year coach TJ Otzelberger. The defending Summit League champions definitely have another team that should be favored to win it again once the calendar turns to March.  They also have some pretty decent non-conference victories at Ole Miss and against Iowa. They also have a soild mid-major win against Big West favorites UC Irvine. If they can get into the tournament, there is a decent bet they will be around a 13 seed when it all comes down to it. 

While SDSU has some very solid players in SR Reed Tellinghuisen, who can do a little bit of everything, and FR David Jenkins Jr. who has been very solid guard in his first year. I need to be honest here.  It is about one man.  Mike Daum. Coming from a family of SDSU alums and being an hour away from Brookings allowed me to watch several SDSU games.  I'm pretty young still, so I don't recall a lot of the older players, but for the longest time I felt Wolters was one of the best players, if not the best, to ever walk the vaunted halls of Frost.  Then Daum came along and he already is the best player in SDSU history in my eyes.  He's already put up big numbers against some quality competition, including a 31 point night against at the time #6 Wichita State.   His numbers are a "little" down from last year but they are still very solid.  He will be a NBA player when it is all said and done, and if he puts up monster numbers this year, this could be his swan song. Tim Miles must have nightmares thinking how he let him get out of the state of Nebraska. 

One milestone note for UND:  Geno is 29 points away from his 1000 point and could potentially get it tonight with a big night, but more than likely will accomplish this at the Zags.

Keys to the game:

1) Pick your poison: It will be interesting to see what strategy will be applied tonight by Jones.  Will he allow Daum to get his and shut everyone else down? Or will he attempt to limit Daum and have other people try and beat UND.  I think option 2 will be tough with the personal UND has but do you really allow Daum to get 50?

2) Starts:  UND has rarely gotten off to good starts and the NDSU game is an example of that.  In a place where they have not played well in recent history, getting off to a good start is going to be important tonight.  If SDSU did what NDSU did on Saturday, this game will be over at halftime.

3) Hit some <bleeping> shots:  If UND is going to have a chance, they need to stop with this whole 26% from 3 business as a team.  Who is going to step up and be the marksman for this team?

4) Do the simple things, stupid:  Box out, secure the ball, make the extra pass, make your free throws.  Rebound, did I mention rebound?

The call:

The last two trip have been nightmares for UND down in Brookings.  In 2012, they lost on a last second 3 pointer (Chad <bleeping> White) after blowing a double digit lead.  In 2014, they had a double digit lead and then Marshall Hend.... I mean TdR decided that would be a perfect time to get a Technical foul with SDSU storming back and then lost on a 3 point play (Jake <bleeping> Bittle)  with 5 seconds left in the game (No, I'm still not bitter about that and I still wish Geno played that year instead, would have won 5 more games).  This is a very good SDSU team and UND is going to have to play a good 40 minutes in a place that has not been kind to them.  Avants is going to have to play the game of his life tonight, as odds are he will get the assignment of Daum. Geno, Seales and Stewart are going to have to be big-time tonight as well. The team gets a little better, but Daum and company will be too much.

SDSU 84-72

Viewers Note:  Game will be on ESPN 3 tonight as well as Midco

11 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Daum is absolutely terrific. Hoping Avants can draw a quick charge or two against him. I'm not sure UND has an answer for him, not that many mid-majors do.

Avants can't get in trouble either, or else its going to Walter,  who is 55 lbs lighter than Daum, going to guard him.  I don't think Dale is going to get this assignment. 

2 minutes ago, ibleedgreen said:

My prediction...UND loses by 25+ as Daum will be allowed to do whatever he wants. Until Jones learns how to recruit "bigs" and coach defense this team will get killed by any team that has any kind of inside game.

Like I have said before, this is going to be a long, cold winter for MBB in Grand Forks. :(:angry:

15 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Like I have said before, this is going to be a long, cold winter for MBB in Grand Forks. :(:angry:

Honestly, I'd wait to see how the first few conference games go before calling this a lost year.  Finding a way to get to a winning record in the first 6 games will make a lot of people feel better about the team's prospects. Its a long way to go before Reno. 

34 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

When is he going to come back?  UND can get all the help they can get for bigs. 

He didn't go anywhere, he just isn't playing. He's only 6'6" and not sure he has much of a post presence. A little surprised he didn't see a few minutes against NDSU with Seales out but I'll let the staff sort out minutes as they see fit.

3 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

He didn't go anywhere, he just isn't playing. He's only 6'6" and not sure he has much of a post presence. A little surprised he didn't see a few minutes against NDSU with Seales out but I'll let the staff sort out minutes as they see fit.

Listed as a guard

54 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Honestly, I'd wait to see how the first few conference games go before calling this a lost year.  Finding a way to get to a winning record in the first 6 games will make a lot of people feel better about the team's prospects. Its a long way to go before Reno. 

Perhaps. I just think we look like garbage right now.