SiouxSports.com Forum

Far too early, but what the hell...Bracketology

petey23

11 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

You forgot Army.  Plenty of emphasis on "quality losses" and that one win against St Cloud State.

Beat Union; swept Clarkson, Harvard, and Army; split with UND and St Cloud, and lost to Duluth. 9-3 is pretty good. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, ChetSteadman said:

What’s the difference?  They’re where they’re because of the teams they beat and currently 5 teams from the B1G are in the tournament picture.

Just saying that the Pairwise isn't a perfect science.  1 more loss instead of a win and we're looking at a .500 team.  THAT'S good enough to be among the top 12-13 teams in the country at the moment?  Really?  

1 minute ago, MafiaMan said:

And what are those respective current Pairwise rankings, please?  

21, 29, and 39. So 2 in the top half and one dog. I wish UND beat Union. 

And still, throw those 3 out and they went 4-3 against numbers 1, 8, 11, and 14. Not bad. I hate Minnesota, but their non-conference schedule and performance is giving a boost to the entire B1G in the pairwise. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

And what are those respective current Pairwise rankings, please?  

Don’t have much to stand on this year when UND’s OOC slate was UAA(60), St. Lawrence(58), Wisconsin(25), Union(21), and Bemidji(32)......and our highest OOC opponent? Minnesota(13).

If UND wasn’t so good at tying teams this year, could very well be .500 team as well.

• Upvote 2

Just now, SiouxFanatic said:

Don’t have much to stand on this year when UND’s OOC slate was UAA(60), St. Lawrence(58), Wisconsin(25), Union(21), and Bemidji(32)......and our highest OOC opponent? Minnesota(13).

If UND wasn’t so good at tying teams this year, could very well be .500 team as well.

I'm not defending UND's record at all here...the system is a bit flawed, IMO, when one of the two .500 teams essentially has a 3-week vacation after losing four in a row to Penn State.  Sure, if they were 28-10, but 19-17?  

My OCD-o-meter just went off too. The plural of tie isn't tying, is it?

3 hours ago, hky said:

So today we cheer for Clarkson, Mankato, St. Cloud and Denver?  The Bowling Green/Northern Michigan game doesn't matter, right - just need Mankato to beat either next week?

Need Mankato, where WCHA still has 3 non-ranked teams in.

I'll try ink this, in only a few words: Using PairWise as the ranking. Each of the 6 conference tournament winners obtain an auto-bid, creating the potential for non-ranked winning teams (below 16th) to become part of the 16 team NCAA National Tournament. Where those 16 teams = top ranked 16 teams less those starting from the bottom (16th) being replaced by non-ranked conference tournament winners. In short, each team is then given one of the regional rankings of 1, 2, 3, or 4 for one of 4 Regionals. Each regional winner goes to the Froz4. 

The B1G has NDam & Ohio St left, so no non-ranked team can win, bringing bubble down to at least 12th.

The Atlantic is going to get a seed without a ranked team, so that brings the bubble up to at least 15th.

ECAC, Hockey E, & NCHC all have ranked and non-ranked teams still in, as WCHA mentioned above, that's 4 auto bids left to potential non-ranked teams.

That leaves the BUBBLE in the PairWise Ranking between 12th and 15th, before today's games?

3 hours ago, hky said:

So today we cheer for Clarkson, Mankato, St. Cloud and Denver?  The Bowling Green/Northern Michigan game doesn't matter, right - just need Mankato to beat either next week?

If Mankato loses tonight, then I hope SCSU and DU also lose. A Mankato loss will require a 14 or better spot at a minimum, and maybe a 12-13. In other words, we’ll need to win two next weekend. I’d rather go through CC, UMD and Miami than DU, SCSU and UMD if we need two.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

If Mankato loses tonight, then I hope SCSU and DU also lose. A Mankato loss will require a 14 or better spot at a minimum, and maybe a 12-13. In other words, we’ll need to win two next weekend. I’d rather go through CC, UMD and Miami than DU, SCSU and UMD if we need two.

I've been kind of thinking on these lines also, potential for too many non-rated teams to get into the NCAA's, then driving the bubble up. Kind of a catch 22 where we are at? Only sure way for us to be in Sioux Falls is to win the next 2.

2 hours ago, SJHovey said:

Yup,  anything above 14 is virtually impossible for UND (without 2-0, in-which case none of it matters).

Either BC or BU will play in the Hockey East Championship game for a chance to take away another at large spot.

BC at 15 in PWR could play in the HE championship, lose, take over 14th spot, and get the last autobid spot over UND.

That BC vs BU semifinal game will be big.

It hasn't been this close since UND needed last minute help from Wisconsin...will lightning strike twice?

4 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

I'm not defending UND's record at all here...the system is a bit flawed, IMO, when one of the two .500 teams essentially has a 3-week vacation after losing four in a row to Penn State.  Sure, if they were 28-10, but 19-17?  

My OCD-o-meter just went off too. The plural of tie isn't tying, is it?

Tying is the present tense verb for tie. :lol:

St. Cloud we need to chat. You need to let UND win. 

It'll help (increase the odds of) knock Minnesota out of the tournament.

You don't want to face Minnesota at the X in the Frozen Four do you?

Go watch some old youtube videos of the time when Minnesota played Maine in the National Championship game at the X.

• Upvote 1