SiouxSports.com Forum

Far too early, but what the hell...Bracketology

petey23

10 minutes ago, GoalieMask said:

It's goofy as heck this week so try to follow Moy's logic.  Personally, I'd rather see the Gophers in UND's regional than DU.

http://www.uscho.com/2018/02/21/bracketology-might-see-michigan-go-worcester-minnesota-duluth-bridgeport/

I just can't decide which opposing whiny Head Coach I'd rather see cry.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, GoalieMask said:

It's goofy as heck this week so try to follow Moy's logic.  Personally, I'd rather see the Gophers in UND's regional than DU.

http://www.uscho.com/2018/02/21/bracketology-might-see-michigan-go-worcester-minnesota-duluth-bridgeport/

With how mucked up it is, I tend to think they'd throw out the Handbook and go with something similar to what Moy has.  With no one west of the Chesapeake Bay other than UND wanting to host, it's going to be a mess.

29 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I just can't decide which opposing whiny Head Coach I'd rather see cry.

How about making them both whine/cry? That would be a great regional in Sioux County = Sioux Falls, full of UND fans. 

Really, at this point, what do we have to lose? 

We soooo need to get there!

I'm reminded a lot about the 2014 season as follow along this journey on the bubble.  Just getting in was a victory that year.  0% expectations as the #4 seed....then they kick in the door and make it to Philly.   That was fun.

2011, 2015, 2016 were stressors because they were supposed to advance.  Don't get me wrong, I loved all three, it's just neat when the underdog advances and especially when the underdog wears green.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Well with the NCHC moving into their last weekend of regular season play and everyone else moving into their tournament playoffs, the current pairwise is a mess.

Going to take some tough decisions by the committee to keep everyone happy with this set-up.

My best guess at how it would look. Had to move SCSU out of Sioux Falls to avoid conference match-up with tournament host team North Dakota. Since SCSU is the #1 seed and has to get on a plane, distance does not matter. I moved them to Bridgeport so they get the lowest ranked team. Since Penn St. is also a host team and a 4 seed currently, Notre Dame cannot play here so they are moved to Sioux Falls since they are also getting on a plane no matter where they go. Cornell is the 3 seed so they stay out East. I also swapped Providence and Northeastern for attendance reasons although not a huge factor as far as travel for either school goes. I could see them flipping the SCSU/Mercyhurst game with the Cornell/BC game but then you are taking BC out of Boston. If you just flip SCSU and Cornell you are making the #1 overall play BC in Boston.

Sioux Falls, SD
2-Notre Dame* vs. 14-UND
8-UMD vs. 9-Minnesota

Allentown, PA
4- Mankato St.* vs. 13-Penn State
7-Clarkson vs. 10-Michigan

Bridgeport, CT
1-SCSU* vs. 22-Mercyhurst*
6-Ohio St. Vs. 12-Providence

Worcester, MA
3-Cornell* vs. 15-B.C.*
5-Denver vs. 11-Northeastern

Teams on the bubble
15-Nebraska-Omaha
17-Northern Michigan
18-Bowling Green
19-Union College
20-Western Michigan
21-Boston U

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, petey23 said:

Sioux Falls, SD
2-Notre Dame* vs. 14-UND
8-UMD vs. 9-Minnesota

Allentown, PA
4- Mankato St.* vs. 13-Penn State
7-Clarkson vs. 10-Michigan

Bridgeport, CT
1-SCSU* vs. 22-Mercyhurst*
6-Ohio St. Vs. 12-Providence

Worcester, MA
3-Cornell* vs. 15-B.C.*
5-Denver vs. 11-Northeastern

Teams on the bubble
15-Nebraska-Omaha
17-Northern Michigan
18-Bowling Green
19-Union College
20-Western Michigan
21-Boston U

I think if Penn State is out altogether they will send Notre Dame to Allentown and maybe Mankato to Sioux Falls vs UND.

strange that if the Gophers lose this weekend they will have a three week break before they play in NCAAs.   One week rest is ok but they might want to consider and exhibition vs. DeVry University in the meantime.

A split for UND this weekend, meanwhile, bumps them up to 12 or 13.  

1 hour ago, GoalieMask said:

Most likely is that they stay at #14 with a split. https://collegehockeyranked.com/forecast/pwrchart/north-dakota/oneweek/

Even if they sweep SCSU somehow it looks like they'd be #11 or #12. In  any scenario, I'd think they still have to get to the X or their season is likely over.

It's setting up a lot like 2014....fingers crossed 

8 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Most likely is that they stay at #14 with a split. https://collegehockeyranked.com/forecast/pwrchart/north-dakota/oneweek/

Even if they sweep SCSU somehow it looks like they'd be #11 or #12. In  any scenario, I'd think they still have to get to the X or their season is likely over.

It's setting up a lot like 2014....fingers crossed 

I had them 15, if swept.  At 14 with a split or win/tie.  Up to 12 with a sweep and climbing to 11 if Michigan loses one.

3 hours ago, GoalieMask said:

I think if Penn State is out altogether they will send Notre Dame to Allentown and maybe Mankato to Sioux Falls vs UND.

strange that if the Gophers lose this weekend they will have a three week break before they play in NCAAs.   One week rest is ok but they might want to consider and exhibition vs. DeVry University in the meantime.

agree. that is why it is a mess this week.

Schloss had a telling stat in his weekend rewind about how UND has gone 2-3-1 in the last 3 weekends against CC (5th), UNO (7th), and Miami (8th).
That's the season right there.  Those are the games that you need to win and this second half was really setup well for a good run...they just botched it.

Imagine if they went 4-2 in that stretch how much better they'd be situated in both NCHC and PWR.
Those are the things they can look back on when they're hitting the golf course after the 1st round NCHC series.

On 2/26/2018 at 4:34 PM, brianvf said:

Schloss had a telling stat in his weekend rewind about how UND has gone 2-3-1 in the last 3 weekends against CC (5th), UNO (7th), and Miami (8th).
That's the season right there.  Those are the games that you need to win and this second half was really setup well for a good run...they just botched it.

Imagine if they went 4-2 in that stretch how much better they'd be situated in both NCHC and PWR.
Those are the things they can look back on when they're hitting the golf course after the 1st round NCHC series.

Three NCHC teams are tied just barely below us, and we earned playoff home ice (with a NCAA loss & tie) for a 16th season in a row. Might need an ink cop on this post?

For the way this season has played out, right now there is a part of me, that kind of feels like, I'd be satisfied with us just making it to Sioux Falls, so that our NCAA streak continues.      -----------     And, then of coarse, if we make the NCAAs, I'd be automatically regrouping, and showing up in SD. 

This next game is huge. With a Friday loss, our odds really go down being we are 15th in the PairWise. A sweep in GF is almost a must, if we are to slip once at the X.

Edited by BarnWinterSportsEngelstad
spelling