SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ Huskies - SATURDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

2 minutes ago, bcblues said:

A tie and a loss to top off the end of the first half of the season.  Not sure if that is a good or a bad thing.  Plenty of time to think about it....

I feel good about this team going into the break. Get healthy and tweak the  powerplay and all will be well. 

1 minute ago, sioux rube said:

I feel good about this team going into the break. Get healthy and tweak the  powerplay and all will be well. 

Well hopefully some of your positivity will trickle down to me. I did not like what I saw this evening. 

2 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

If Bowen and Hoff are healthy gotta sit Yon and Olson. Add Bowen to Simo and Smith......wow.

I think Yon, Olson and Bowen are playing better than a handful of our upper class men. Perhaps they should sit instead. 

Just now, crb1 said:

I think Yon, Olson and Bowen are playing better than a handful of our upper class men. Perhaps they should sit instead. 

Not disagreeing........but that won't happen. JJ must have been playing in camo cause I didn't notice him all weekend.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, crb1 said:

Well hopefully some of your positivity will trickle down to me. I did not like what I saw this evening. 

Aside from the powerplay I thought they did fine except for putting the puck in the net which is kind of important. That was a tough stretch they just got done with. I expect a fired up team come January 

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

That was on gersich

stops and starts are taught early

Gersich has been really disappointing to me this year.  He has created as much offense for the opposition going the other way with turnovers as he has for us.  He seems like he is so focused on putting up numbers that he takes unneeded chances. Where is the guy that always came back just as hard to break up a chance as he did on the offensive side?  As a whole, the team played decent this weekend, holding a great offensive team down on shots and goals well below their average. Will be nice to play them on NHL ice surface.

20 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

Aside from the powerplay I thought they did fine except for putting the puck in the net which is kind of important. That was a tough stretch they just got done with. I expect a fired up team come January 

I saw lots of poor shot selections and many, many shots fired high and wide. Guys still trying to hold the puck and make fancy plays that either don’t put a shot on net or it goes the other way and in the back of the net. I know this is not a race but a marathon and we have lots of clean up work to do. Oh and I don’t even want to get started on the power play. Woof!

I do want to point out that for the most part Cam and the D played outstanding this weekend. Really good, especially Friday night with the good shot blocks and active sticks. 

They need to get someone to the front of the net, when they do that they score.

Shoot for tips in front of the net and rebounds. All goals count the  same as highlight reel goals.

They need to fake a shot instead of rushing it to get the defender out of the shooting lane.

There were times where they guys could have made a play with a pass up at the blueline when the d-men cross with the forward on their d-men partner. That's a easy play where you get the defenders either following the puck carrier or the d-men going the opposite direction.

Might as well do a overload power play or whatever St. Cloud and Minnesota run.

They had a chance to beat St. Cloud just didn't get the bounces.

Everyone have a great Holiday season.  We have a few weeks to ponder our fate as Sioux Fans.  I am sure that Brad has some ides, and hopefully he can figure out how to get our PP to click.  And although our defense is looking decent, these 5 minute "lapses" have got to be fixed.  Cheers!

1 minute ago, cberkas said:

They need to get someone to the front of the net, when they do that they score.

Shoot for tips in front of the net and rebounds. All goals count the  same as highlight reel goals.

They need to fake a shot instead of rushing it to get the defender out of the shooting lane.

There were times where they guys could have made a play with a pass up at the blueline when the d-men cross with the forward on their d-men partner. That's a easy play where you get the defenders either following the puck carrier or the d-men going the opposite direction.

Might as well do a overload power play or whatever St. Cloud and Minnesota run.

They had a chance to beat St. Cloud just didn't get the bounces.

Much of what you say is really only visible on the Olympic ice sheets.  Smaller, quicker teams are better suited to the big ice.  That is not us.  Plenty of room for improvement on many fronts, though.

31 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Not disagreeing........but that won't happen. JJ must have been playing in camo cause I didn't notice him all weekend.

JJ needs to sit IMO.  Agree he was nowhere to be found all weekend.  He really does nothing.

7 minutes ago, bcblues said:

Much of what you say is really only visible on the Olympic ice sheets.  Smaller, quicker teams are better suited to the big ice.  That is not us.  Plenty of room for improvement on many fronts, though.

There’s a decent amount of guys who aren’t doing much.  Go check the stat sheet.  Boys will need to pick it up in the second half.  Our rosters statistics look like CC’s 

7 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

There’s a decent amount of guys who aren’t doing much.  Go check the stat sheet.  Boys will need to pick it up in the second half.  Our rosters statistics look like CC’s 

Can't argue with that.  Some players are definitely not playing up to their potential.  Some lines don't seem to be clicking.  Plenty of room for improvement.

20 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

CC’s top line is out-producing UND’s. 

Definitely in forwards (if all healthy):

Gersich, Jones, Mismash, Adams, Smith, Hoff, Pogo, Simo, Bowen, Rhett.

On the fence:

JJ, Yon, Gooch, Olson

When it comes down to the season on the line games I can't see the coaching staff not using Olson.  He's not my choice, but I'm currently between changing poopy diapers and taking $hit from my 6 year old.....;)

22 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

CC’s top line is out-producing UND’s. 

Sorry I know you’re a CC guy, didn’t mean to knock them.  Their numbers have been average the last few years.  Our top 6 just hasn’t worked this year so far.  I mean, guys are scoring here and there but when you look at their body of work (ytd totals) it doesn’t look good.  For anyone but maybe wolanin.  Good thing Cam is solid and they can play a good team D game.  They typically lock down good.  They do have the skill they just need to play more consistently.