Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Colter_Nuanez

Bob Stitt out at Montana

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Hold on...

He brought up App State(one team, not many, and if they aren’t struggling in FBS)as some sort of coup that proved FCS powers couldn’t compete in P5, since they aren’t in a P5 conference, I asked him why he chose them vs Boise state. Boise state is equivalent to App state and neither of them are P5. As you agreed there are no examples of P5 teams that were once FCS powers so we are left to the realm of speculation, which is what we are all doing in this discussion.

All that said, we could arguing nuances of this hypothetical situation all day, but I’m more interested in your take on both the OP’s original point that NDSU would go 8-5 in the SEC, which I wholeheartedly disagree with and also what you think about the idea that a top FCS team could go .500 in the SEC? So what do you think?

You're right, he did only bring up one team, that was my mistake. For whatever reason I thought he had put a couple in there, Georgia Southern would be another obvious example, especially considering they have struggled even more than App State.

I don't believe that a current top FCS team could move up and be above .500 in the P5 and especially the SEC. While they are adding 22 additional scholarships, those scholarships would be spread out among they players they already have (FCS currently allows 63 scholarships to be spread out over 85 players), so I don't think the increase in talent is as significant as others do. However, you likely would have better depth as you can add guys that require a full scholarship instead of a half. Maybe after a while, they could catch up on talent, but it would not be immediate and sustained success would take even longer. I think looking at how App State and Georgia Southern, two former FCS powers, have done in the Sun Belt and then looking at the difference between the Sun Belt and the SEC, the answer becomes somewhat clear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

You're right, he did only bring up one team, that was my mistake. For whatever reason I thought he had put a couple in there, Georgia Southern would be another obvious example, especially considering they have struggled even more than App State.

I don't believe that a current top FCS team could move up and be above .500 in the P5 and especially the SEC. While they are adding 22 additional scholarships, those scholarships would be spread out among they players they already have (FCS currently allows 63 scholarships to be spread out over 85 players), so I don't think the increase in talent is as significant as others do. However, you likely would have better depth as you can add guys that require a full scholarship instead of a half. Maybe after a while, they could catch up on talent, but it would not be immediate and sustained success would take even longer. I think looking at how App State and Georgia Southern, two former FCS powers, have done in the Sun Belt and then looking at the difference between the Sun Belt and the SEC, the answer becomes somewhat clear.

Those are both good examples that I would agree bolster your argument that a top FCS team would struggle.

Interestingly, it seems that both App State and Georgia Southern did better initially following the transition up than they have the longer they’ve been in FBS. So it seems somehow the increased scholarships and more time in FBS have actually been a detriment to their success. Odd.

I wonder if somehow they were actually more able to recruit better players at the top of FCS than they are at the bottom of FBS. Who knows, but it is interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Those are both good examples that I would agree bolster your argument that a top FCS team would struggle.

Interestingly, it seems that both App State and Georgia Southern did better initially following the transition up than they have the longer they’ve been in FBS. So it seems somehow the increased scholarships and more time in FBS have actually been a detriment to their success. Odd.

I wonder if somehow they were actually more able to recruit better players at the top of FCS than they are at the bottom of FBS. Who knows, but it is interesting.

I don't know if this would be a big reason, but perhaps the appeal of playing for a national title (albeit in a lower divison) is more appealing that playing in a low-tier bowl in the big level

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I don't know if this would be a big reason, but perhaps the appeal of playing for a national title (albeit in a lower divison) is more appealing that playing in a low-tier bowl in the big level

I actually wondered about that too. It certainly would change things in my brain if I was an 18 year old recruit. It’s also the reason that, as a fan, I would only want NDSU to move up to FBS if they were in a P5 conference. Which is highly unlikely/never going to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can Boise State really be considered a recent move-up? They left the Big Sky over 20 years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, zonadub said:

Can Boise State really be considered a recent move-up? They left the Big Sky over 20 years ago.

I would say no, but what is also interesting as I looked into it is it’s extremely rare that a team that is truly an FCS/I-aa power moves up to FBS. In looking through it there only appears to be 4 in this history of FCS/I-aa. Marshall, Boise, Georgia southern and App state. The rest of the move ups have had very short lived success or not much at all. You could maybe add UMASS and Western Kentucky to the list, but I don’t think their success was long sustained in FCS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Quick question.  Is Bob Stitts heading to a P5. Or has this thread drifted.

It started in Montana and has now drifted to Kentucky. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nodak78 said:

Quick question.  Is Bob Stitts heading to a P5. Or has this thread drifted.

Apparently he's headed to the SEC, and taking the Bison with.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, TRex said:

Apparently he's headed to the SEC, and taking the Bison with.

Spit beer all over my tablet.  thanks I needed that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

I just saw an NDSU guy post an algorithm on there saying that they would go 8-6 against the SEC, and I'm sure all Bison fans believe it.  NDSU didn't look very good against SDSU, and it took them OT to beat Youngstown who got throttled by Illinois State 35-0.   They do deserve the #2 seed, not saying they don't.  But would they be above .500 in the SEC when they have to play an FBS SEC team each week, not just have it be their early Super Bowl game at the beginning of the year, I'm going with no. 

I'll give it an hour or so before I see a Bison reply to this comment and defend how they would be in the upper half of the SEC. 

Nope. I find it funny somebody would waste time to make an algorithm to CONJUR  up something like that. Freaking reALLY.????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bobby Houck left for "greener grass on the other side" at UNLV...I think he'd give his left arm for a shot at redemption and to be back at Montana.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×