SiouxSports.com Forum

Bob Stitt out at Montana

Colter_Nuanez

1 hour ago, shep said:

But when your entire narrative is that we ONLY consider the score and never consider injuries or anything else, then we have proper grounds to argue that 

a. most of us fans have low expectations if

b. we don't seek a new HC after the season.

Get it?

Yup we'll just go with all of that......................................................cause at the end of the day that fact, the final score, is irrelevant when you factor in all the excuses and the what could have beens.

1 hour ago, shep said:

But when your entire narrative is that we ONLY consider the score and never consider injuries or anything else, then we have proper grounds to argue that 

a. most of us fans have low expectations if

b. we don't seek a new HC after the season.

Get it?

Going 3-8 during a championship expectation season does rightfully raise questions and concerns, though. Don't you agree? 

Endorsing the "it will all be better with less injuries" mindset doesn't do much for the program's current state. That type of complacency is troublesome in my opinion; it relies too much on good fortune and not proactive change. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

I would have loved to have seen Nate Little's face when Montana got beat again by MSU and didn't make the playoffs.  :D

That would have made my day to see that. I strongly dislike that guy! Glad he was kicked off FCS Fans Nation Facebook page. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SiouxBoys said:

That page is so nauseating. Just another place for Bison fans to blow themselves.

I just saw an NDSU guy post an algorithm on there saying that they would go 8-6 against the SEC, and I'm sure all Bison fans believe it.  NDSU didn't look very good against SDSU, and it took them OT to beat Youngstown who got throttled by Illinois State 35-0.   They do deserve the #2 seed, not saying they don't.  But would they be above .500 in the SEC when they have to play an FBS SEC team each week, not just have it be their early Super Bowl game at the beginning of the year, I'm going with no. 

I'll give it an hour or so before I see a Bison reply to this comment and defend how they would be in the upper half of the SEC. 

55 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I just saw an NDSU guy post an algorithm on there saying that they would go 8-6 against the SEC, and I'm sure all Bison fans believe it.  NDSU didn't look very good against SDSU, and it took them OT to beat Youngstown who got throttled by Illinois State 35-0.   They do deserve the #2 seed, not saying they don't.  But would they be above .500 in the SEC when they have to play an FBS SEC team each week, not just have it be their early Super Bowl game at the beginning of the year, I'm going with no. 

I'll give it an hour or so before I see a Bison reply to this comment and defend how they would be in the upper half of the SEC. 

Whew! I just checked my phone and thank God I made it in before the hour deadline.

I agree with you actually. To say that NDSU or any other top FCS team would compete week in and week out in a P5 conference isn’t correct if you ask me.

The disparity in scholarships and depth of talent would eventually wear the FCS team down and they would have a very difficult time being competitive late in the year.

That being said, I also believe that if you put a top FCS team in that P5 conference with the same scholarship situation and the same Home/away situation as a real member of that conference, I think they could be above .500 in that conference most years.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sioux94 said:

It only took a couple minutes lol

4 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

That being said, I also believe that if you put a top FCS team in that P5 conference with the same scholarship situation and the same Home/away situation as a real member of that conference, I think they could be above .500 in that conference most years.

Kind of like how Appalachian State is tearing things up this year........losing to football powerhouses LA Monroe,  UMass, and Wake Forest?   But yeah....previous FCS Powerhouse App State would be above .500 in the SEC  ;)     

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sioux94 said:

Kind of like how Appalachian State is tearing things up this year........losing to football powerhouses LA Monroe,  UMass, and Wake Forest?   But yeah....previous FCS Powerhouse App State would be above .500 in the SEC  ;)     

One has to wonder why you didn’t use Boise state as the example

1 minute ago, Sioux94 said:

Did they move to the SEC and I didn't know about it?  We were talking SEC. 

Did App state move to the SEC? 

Also, App state has been extremely successful in their move up to FBS, look at 2015 and 2016. I don’t follow them closely, so I couldn’t speak to why they are having a down year this year, but by and large they been doing very well in FBS football.

2 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Did App state move to the SEC? 

Also, App state has been extremely successful in their move up to FBS, look at 2015 and 2016. I don’t follow them closely, so I couldn’t speak to why they are having a down year this year, but by and large they been doing very well in FBS football.

Yes they have done pretty well.  However I initially stated SEC, and then you said P5 conference.  I believe App State is still in the Sun Belt conference, they have done very well....but when I look at the teams they play.....honestly had no clue who some of those teams were.   Could a top FCS team do well in one of those conferences, yes I think so.  SEC is a whole other story though, and the initial post I made referred to how NDSU would go 8-6 against the SEC.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sioux94 said:

Yes they have done pretty well.  However I initially stated SEC, and then you said P5 conference.  I believe App State is still in the Sun Belt conference, they have done very well....but when I look at the teams they play.....honestly had no clue who some of those teams were.   Could a top FCS team do well in one of those conferences, yes I think so.  SEC is a whole other story though, and the initial post I made referred to how NDSU would go 8-6 against the SEC.  

I absolutely agree with your original premise. The current NDSU team playing an SEC schedule would beat maybe two of those teams. 

But give NDSU more scholarships, having half of those games at home and the cache of being able to tout themselves as an SEC team to potential recruits and I think a top FCS team could go .500 in the SEC most years.

6 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I absolutely agree with your original premise. The current NDSU team playing an SEC schedule would beat maybe two of those teams. 

But give NDSU more scholarships, having half of those games at home and the cache of being able to tout themselves as an SEC team to potential recruits and I think a top FCS team could go .500 in the SEC most years.

If you gave NDSU (or any FCS school) all of those things, they would no longer be an FCS school.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, F'nHawks said:

If you gave NDSU (or any FCS school) all of those things, they would no longer be an FCS school.  

That’s sort of my point, what handicaps are we giving the FCS team in this impossible to know one way or another hypothetical?

31 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

When did the Mountain West become a P5 conference?

He brought up App state, also not P5.

There are no examples of recent FCS powers who are now in P5 conferences so the discussion is left to discuss recent FCS move ups to FBS.

26 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

He brought up App state, also not P5.

There are no examples of recent FCS powers who are now in P5 conferences so the discussion is left to discuss recent FCS move ups to FBS.

You said that a top FCS team moving up could compete in a P5 conference. He brought up multiple top FCS teams that moved up and are struggling to compete at the G5 level, which have the same scholarship situation as the P5. If they are struggling at the G5 level, how are they going to go above .500 at the P5 level? You asked why he left out Boise St. like they were some sort of success story (which they are at the G5 level) when all he was doing is pointing out recent move-ups struggling at the level below where you think they could be above .500 most years.

I do agree that there are no (recent) examples of schools going to P5, but there are plenty of examples that are struggling at the G5 level and very few that you could point to as successful. Knowing that, I think it's a stretch to say that a move-up could be above .500 in a P5 school most years, which was your initial claim.

1 hour ago, Bison06 said:

11 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

You said that a top FCS team moving up could compete in a P5 conference. He brought up multiple top FCS teams that moved up and are struggling to compete at the G5 level, which have the same scholarship situation as the P5. If they are struggling at the G5 level, how are they going to go above .500 at the P5 level? You asked why he left out Boise St. like they were some sort of success story that proved your point when all he was doing is pointing out recent move-ups struggling at the level below where you think they could be above .500 most years.

I do agree that there are no (recent) examples of schools going to P5, but there are plenty of examples that are struggling at the G5 level and very few that you could point to as successful. Knowing that, I think it's a stretch to say that a move-up could be above .500 in a P5 school most years, which was your initial claim.

Hold on...

He brought up App State(one team, not many, and if they aren’t struggling in FBS)as some sort of coup that proved FCS powers couldn’t compete in P5, since they aren’t in a P5 conference, I asked him why he chose them vs Boise state. Boise state is equivalent to App state and neither of them are P5. As you agreed there are no examples of P5 teams that were once FCS powers so we are left to the realm of speculation, which is what we are all doing in this discussion.

All that said, we could arguing nuances of this hypothetical situation all day, but I’m more interested in your take on both the OP’s original point that NDSU would go 8-5 in the SEC, which I wholeheartedly disagree with and also what you think about the idea that a top FCS team could go .500 in the SEC? So what do you think?