SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Alumni Fantasy Team

FGHTNSX Hawkey14

Here's another way to look at it (or maybe best saved for another thread). My dream bubble hockey game would have custom painted 1980s UND players vs. 1990s UND players since I started watching the team in 1979-80 and began attending UND in 1992.

Given those parameters, here are my teams:

1980s: Forwards Tony Hrkac, Troy Murray, and Phil Sykes

Defensemen Ian Kidd and James Patrick

Goaltender Ed Belfour

(Honorable mention to F Bob Joyce, D Russ Parent, and G Jon Casey, plus my all-time favorite 80s player Jim Archibald)

1990s: Forwards Dave Hoogsteen, Greg Johnson, and Jeff Panzer

Defensemen Curtis Murphy and Brad Williamson

Goaltender Karl Goehring

(Honorable mention to F Jason Blake, D Nick Naumenko, and G Aaron Schweitzer, plus fan favorite Mike Commodore)

Discuss. :)

Dave

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dave Berger said:

Here's another way to look at it (or maybe best saved for another thread). My dream bubble hockey game would have custom painted 1980s UND players vs. 1990s UND players since I started watching the team in 1979-80 and began attending UND in 1992.

Given those parameters, here are my teams:

1980s: Forwards Tony Hrkac, Troy Murray, and Phil Sykes

Defensemen Ian Kidd and James Patrick

Goaltender Ed Belfour

(Honorable mention to F Bob Joyce, D Russ Parent, and G Jon Casey, plus my all-time favorite 80s player Jim Archibald)

1990s: Forwards Dave Hoogsteen, Greg Johnson, and Jeff Panzer

Defensemen Curtis Murphy and Brad Williamson

Goaltender Karl Goehring

(Honorable mention to F Jason Blake, D Nick Naumenko, and G Aaron Schweitzer, plus fan favorite Mike Commodore)

Discuss. :)

Dave

Zane McIntyre needs to be in the discussion for G. He left UND with a lot of accolades and records.

• Upvote 2

I appreciate all the help, but could you say specifically where you would put someone in the lineup. All the players mentioned are UND legends, but you need to keep in mind that this is a standard lineup I'm assembling. Sure, they're great, but are they top 20?

Thanks!

Edit: We're assembling

Edited by FGHTNSX Hawkey14

Strong second on Travis Roche and Nick Naumenko.

Matt Greene, McWilliam, Smaby, Schneider.  More of my favorite defensemen.

And some body you guys never heard of: Jim Cahoon.  Centerman and Montreal Canadian draft choice from early 70's.

F

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, dden3 said:

And some body you guys never heard of: Jim Cahoon.  Centerman and Montreal Canadian draft choice from early 70's.

Oh, great center, Jim played when I was at the U, helped us move from the Barn to the Winter Sports Center under Bjorkman.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, dden3 said:

F

How about Robbie Bina, he was a threat to score from literally everywhere on the ice.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Oh, great center, Jim played when I was at the U, helped us move from the Barn to the Winter Sports Center under Bjorkman.

I had thought about Cahoon earlier.   Class act as a person and fine captain.

From that era, Alan Hangsleben has to be in the mix for defensemen.   Big hitter in a more physical era with a huge offensive upside.   Played with the Whalers, I believe. 

• Upvote 2

On 11/20/2017 at 8:16 AM, siouxkid12 said:

Define pros because Ryan Duncan is playing professionally.

Really, lists like this are pretty dumb unless you base it purely off of their time at UND. There were some really good players that never played in the NHL or AHL.

Good point. I always liked Brad Eidness. He was one of our best goalies and I've heard some argue that he was better than Dell. Regardless he ended up going to law school instead of going pro.

On another note, what about Matt Fraction?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

Good point. I always liked Brad Eidness. He was one of our best goalies and I've heard some argue that he was better than Dell. Regardless he ended up going to law school instead of going pro.

On another note, what about Matt Fraction?

While Eids was a fine goalie, he really regressed after his sophomore year. 

• Upvote 1