SiouxSports.com Forum

Official UND Football Regime Change Thread

fightingsioux4life

8 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Is there anyway we can get Mussman back as an OC? He did great at recruiting big time players i.e. Golladay and only really messed up the program when he became head coach.

I desperate to get rid of Rudolph...... so frustrating 

Let's not get desperate here. 

Moving forward, when UND makes hires in the future, UND needs to consider those who may not have previous ties to UND. The guys who helped UND have Division II success will only be able to contribute so much in the modern Division I era. The whole "good ol' boys" idea is dangerous and can (has) get UND into trouble. 

I'm for hiring young coaches with bright futures but limited experience (former position coaches or quality control) and/or experienced coaches with DI FBS experience. Places outside of UND most certainly have ideas that UND could desperately use right now and into the future. 

• Upvote 1

So to recap: 

This season was a disaster because...

1) Players didn't get BS championship rings

2) Players have to brave the ND elements and are cold because winter coats were not issued

3) Injuries

4) An occasional joint was passed around......or sold

5) Rudy

6) UND had to play Montana and EWU this season

7) Pizza at the AL was switched to Deek's

Feel free to add if I missed anything..............

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Let's not get desperate here. 

Moving forward, when UND makes hires in the future, UND needs to consider those who may not have previous ties to UND. The guys who helped UND have Division II success will only be able to contribute so much in the modern Division I era. The whole "good ol' boys" idea is dangerous and can (has) get UND into trouble. 

I'm for hiring young coaches with bright futures but limited experience (former position coaches or quality control) and/or experienced coaches with DI FBS experience. Places outside of UND most certainly have ideas that UND could desperately use right now and into the future. 

^^^^ This ^^^^

UND should be looking for new blood, not be so inbred. I understand that 2000 was a special time, but expand the pool. Just sayin'.

For the last 2-3 years I have questioned on this board whether Bubba is the right guy to take the program to the next level. It's interesting to see many of the same people that thought I was fool last year now sharing my opinion?

Every good UND team over the last 25 years has had one common denominator- great inside linebacker play. ILB was obviously a weak spot on this year's team and we see the results. Yes, it's on the coaches to make sure the roster is stacked at that position but no team in college football has the depth to withstand losing its top four guys for all or most of the year. Alabama now has four of its top six linebackers sidelined and they are having trouble stopping the run- almost lost to Mississippi State and many are predicting that they will have a very difficult time beating Auburn. And Alabama gets the recruits it wants every year.

The style Bubba wants to play both offensively and defensively is the right one because it's proven to be successful. Look at the top teams in any classification of college football and they all play great defense and have ball control offenses. What I have always questioned is whether this staff will be able to recruit enough talent to make that strategy work at UND. Bubba had a nice year and a half run with Mussman's players but will he be successful with a roster full of his own guys? I think the success of 2016 buys him more time, but there needs to be some major steps forward next year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/20/2017 at 11:33 AM, UND-1 said:

UND has far too many cancers on this team and needs to clean house.

On 11/20/2017 at 11:33 AM, UND-1 said:

Many of the seniors in this program were terrible locker room guys and a major part of the problem, minus Studsrud and a few others.

I'm not disputing this because I don't have any evidence one way or the other, but those are pretty bold statements to make. Without naming names, can you give any detail on what kinds of things were going on? We all know about the suspensions - but that doesn't automatically mean guys are "cancers." So other than what we can read in the newspaper, what else is/was going on?

18 minutes ago, RD17 said:

For the last 2-3 years I have questioned on this board whether Bubba is the right guy to take the program to the next level. It's interesting to see many of the same people that thought I was fool last year now sharing my opinion?

Every good UND team over the last 25 years has had one common denominator- great inside linebacker play. ILB was obviously a weak spot on this year's team and we see the results. Yes, it's on the coaches to make sure the roster is stacked at that position but no team in college football has the depth to withstand losing its top four guys for all or most of the year. Alabama now has four of its top six linebackers sidelined and they are having trouble stopping the run- almost lost to Mississippi State and many are predicting that they will have a very difficult time beating Auburn. And Alabama gets the recruits it wants every year.

The style Bubba wants to play both offensively and defensively is the right one because it's proven to be successful. Look at the top teams in any classification of college football and they all play great defense and have ball control offenses. What I have always questioned is whether this staff will be able to recruit enough talent to make that strategy work at UND. Bubba had a nice year and a half run with Mussman's players but will he be successful with a roster full of his own guys? I think the success of 2016 buys him more time, but there needs to be some major steps forward next year.

Our LBs need to look like the 2015 group. Absolutely stacked that year at LB.

• Upvote 1

On 11/20/2017 at 11:18 PM, Irish said:

I'm less concerned with the injury issue as it is somewhat out of our control - my problem is the 1980's inflexible offense that Bubba and Rudolph have created.  The total lack of adjustments and misuse of talent is coaching malpractice - someone needs to be held accountable and since Bubba seems incapable of holding anyone else accountable it falls on him.  

Seems to be blind loyalty to the OC that I just don't understand. Bubba is a defensive coach. Deep down he has to know how much fun it would be as a DC to line up against his own team's offense. If his next opponent was an offense that couldn't figure out a way to keep Santiago, Oliveira and Johannesson all on the field at once (or throw to a TE more than once or twice a game) he'd be laughing all day Sunday and ready to play on Tuesday. At least I hope he would.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, LkvlleUNDFan said:

I'm not disputing this because I don't have any evidence one way or the other, but those are pretty bold statements to make. Without naming names, can you give any detail on what kinds of things were going on? We all know about the suspensions - but that doesn't automatically mean guys are "cancers." So other than what we can read in the newspaper, what else is/was going on?

I would certainly classify anyone arrested for intent to deliver as a "cancer".  My question for you is how many guys on the team have been supplementing their lifestyle with "dealing"?   How many guys  would not have passed a drug test if one was administered to the whole team on any given date this season?

6 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I would certainly classify anyone arrested for intent to deliver as a "cancer".  My question for you is how many guys on the team have been supplementing their lifestyle with "dealing"?   How many guys  would not have passed a drug test if one was administered to the whole team on any given date this season?

What part of "I don't have any evidence one way or the other" did you not understand? You seem fond of throwing out serious allegations and using highly critical language with nothing to back it up. If you have more to share, enlighten us. Please.

8 minutes ago, LkvlleUNDFan said:

What part of "I don't have any evidence one way or the other" did you not understand? You seem fond of throwing out serious allegations and using highly critical language with nothing to back it up. If you have more to share, enlighten us. Please.

You are right.  Nothing to see here.  It was just pure coincidence that three members of the team were charged with intent to deliver in two separate raids and one of the poor boys had residue around that was not from marijuana.  The recent suspensions were just guys in the wrong place at the wrong time....Bubba over-reacted, the problems on the team this year were all due to injuries and a bad OC and I am sure that the captains and "leaders" of the team were all in the dark on the problems.

• Downvote 1

50 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

You are right.  Nothing to see here.  It was just pure coincidence that three members of the team were charged with intent to deliver in two separate raids and one of the poor boys had residue around that was not from marijuana.  The recent suspensions were just guys in the wrong place at the wrong time....Bubba over-reacted, the problems on the team this year were all due to injuries and a bad OC and I am sure that the captains and "leaders" of the team were all in the dark on the problems.

Not sure how much blame can be put on the captains and leaders of the team.  Not sure how much they would know about 80 different teammates living conditions.  I do think that falls on the coaches.  They are the ones recruiting these kids. Going into there homes and schools and meeting parents/guardians and teachers.  IMHO this falls on Bubba and staff.  Early on they talked about recruiting players with high “character “ and wanted to emphasis that part of the athlete 

4 hours ago, RD17 said:

This is a very level headed post. I agree with it. 

I think the philosophy/style that Bubba is implementing is perfect for this region and for championship football.

However, with that said, you still need to recruit to this style; it remains to be seen if Bubba can recruit and secure the linemen and defenders necessary to play this brand of physical football (especially with the MVFC looming). 

1 minute ago, gundy1124 said:

On one extreme if a team was so overly talented they could run 4 plays and win every game.  On the other end teams like an emerging Boise St. and even Utah in the '09 Sugar Bowl used schematics, grit, heart, and coaching to overcome and be successful against more talented team(s).  I can't stand the approach of waiting for better players until 'our system' works.  Gotta play and coach with what you have.  (and win)

Exactly. If UND doesn't have the players to play a pro style ball control offense, for example, then whether we like it or not, UND may have to adopt a different offensive scheme. Same goes for cover 0 defense if our defensive backs just can't cover 1-on-1 downfield.

Scheme needs to be adjusted per personnel. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Exactly. If UND doesn't have the players to play a pro style ball control offense, for example, then whether we like it or not, UND may have to adopt a different offensive scheme. Same goes for cover 0 defense if our defensive backs just can't cover 1-on-1 downfield.

Scheme needs to be adjusted per personnel

The best coaches are able to maximize strengths and cover up weaknesses. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

9. Got in an argument about the grey pants with a guy drinking a mikes hard lemonade, consequently dividing the catwalk

Ha that's great but shouldn't the real argument have been: Sir, either put down the Mike's or hand over your man card right now!

• Upvote 2