SiouxSports.com Forum

Official UND Football Regime Change Thread

fightingsioux4life

After the misurable Mussman era, Bubba seems like the second coming of Roger Thomas. Bubba was there when Roger took a stumbling program and turned it around piece by piece. Bubba is mimicking the same thing, except the offensive piece isn’t quite there yet. I and others don’t want to go back to the drawing board on the program with the removal of Bubba, which would set us back another 3-5 years as another head coach would most likely dismantle what Bubba brought back to UND football that was lost since 2007. I think it’s fair to wait and see if Bubba turns it around next season, and if not then maybe major changes need to be made. But jumping off the ledge after one bad season when we won a conference (a major FCS conference) title is very premature. I still think if we didn’t have the massive amounts of injuries on the defense we would have won a lot more than 3 games. What’s the old saying, defense wins championships.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

After the misurable Mussman era, Bubba seems like the second coming of Roger Thomas. Bubba was there when Roger took a stumbling program and turned it around piece by piece. Bubba is mimicking the same thing, except the offensive piece isn’t quite there yet. I and others don’t want to go back to the drawing board on the program with the removal of Bubba, which would set us back another 3-5 years as another head coach would most likely dismantle what Bubba brought back to UND football that was lost since 2007. I think it’s fair to wait and see if Bubba turns it around next season, and if not then maybe major changes need to be made. But jumping off the ledge after one bad season when we won a conference (a major FCS conference) title is very premature. I still think if we didn’t have the massive amounts of injuries on the defense we would have won a lot more than 3 games. What’s the old saying, defense wins championships.

I understand your position, especially about the defense - but what do you say about the offensive malpractice committed this year?  Are we content to say that our entire staff of D1 coaches couldn't come up with a better way to utilize our offensive talent even give our O line woes?  Bubba seems totally unwilling to make a change here and even tacitly endorsed what Rudolph did by keeping him on.  I am just stunned that we called this kind of offensive game this year and many seem to be just fine with it.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Irish said:

I understand your position, especially about the defense - but what do you say about the offensive malpractice committed this year?  Are we content to say that our entire staff of D1 coaches couldn't come up with a better way to utilize our offensive talent even give our O line woes?  Bubba seems totally unwilling to make a change here and even tacitly endorsed what Rudolph did by keeping him on.  I am just stunned that we called this kind of offensive game this year and many seem to be just fine with it.  

I think Rudolph should be fired. Our offense hasn’t produced the points like the Muss era. If only we had his offense with Bubba’s defense.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Great white said:

All I am saying is this team needs to get direction and stick with it, I am trying to bring attention to the fact that when you point a finger at someone there is always 3 pointing back so no one including the coaches is without fault on this team, and the blame for mistakes can certainly encompass all involved from Admin to coaches to players. And no it is not a relative of mine but a very close acquaintance and it has nothing to do with drugs, I simply love this game and its sad to see how everyone want firings, cuts etc at the first sign of poor season.

The suspensions had everything to do with drugs.  To say those kids didn't get a fair shake is BS.  They can get their "fair shake" in the court system. 

26 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

The suspensions had everything to do with drugs.  To say those kids didn't get a fair shake is BS.  They can get their "fair shake" in the court system. 

The only place you are innocent until proven guilty is in the court system. 

I'm pretty sure the minute a player chose to join a UND Athletics team they consented to a system where the mere appearance of impropriety is enough for action and that due process is a decision, arbitrary or not, by a coach or administrator. 

58 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

I think Rudolph should be fired. Our offense hasn’t produced the points like the Muss era. If only we had his offense with Bubba’s defense.

At one point Muss had 7 more scholarships on offense than defense. I’m guessing it is the other way now. 

4 hours ago, UND-1 said:

Many of the seniors in this program were terrible locker room guys and a major part of the problem, minus Studsrud and a few others.

Considering there were 22 seniors on the team, maybe a "few others" were bad locker room guys, but wrong to generalize that entire class that's stayed with the program even when most could've bailed after Mussman and his staff were let go.  Most of those seniors were loyal to the program and UND and deserve better than this.

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, UNDbeliever said:

Considering there were 22 seniors on the team, maybe a "few others" were bad locker room guys, but wrong to generalize that entire class that's stayed with the program even when most could've bailed after Mussman and his staff were let go.  Most of those seniors were loyal to the program and UND and deserve better than this.

You are correct, I generalized a bit too much there.  In fact, I lumped many "upper classmen" in with my senior comment. 

UND had a unlucky season. Mike Zimmer couldn’t have coached the defense better than Schmidt did. You can’t lose 3 Starters at DB - 2 potentially All Americans - and not see a drop off in performance. Remember week one when they had everyone healthy? They looked awesome. Sure most everyone got sick of watching the offense try run the ball behind their o line, where is the tight end etc...? But to want Bubba out? Look at the program progress in his short time. He won the conference last year. Bubba will have a much improved team next year.  No doubt  Bubba can coach. Get in the weight room boys.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, GOUND said:

UND had a unlucky season. Mike Zimmer couldn’t have coached the defense better than Schmidt did. You can’t lose 3 Starters at DB - 2 potentially All Americans - and not see a drop off in performance. Remember week one when they had everyone healthy? They looked awesome. Sure most everyone got sick of watching the offense try run the ball behind their o line, where is the tight end etc...? But to want Bubba out? Look at the program progress in his short time. He won the conference last year. Bubba will have a much improved team next year.  No doubt  Bubba can coach. Get in the weight room boys.

Drop off is an understatement, more like nose-dive off a cliff. The young players forced into action at LB and corner were not able to play effectively this season, either due to youth or ability (not in the mood to argue that point again). Either way, though, it's fair to say this team needed more sophomores and juniors as backups and they just weren't there. That is on the staff for failure to properly recruit and maintain the roster. There's been a lot of missed linebacker and corner recruits in addition to player attrition at those spots during the Bubba years already. 

• Upvote 1

I agree there was a lack of depth. But do you believe NDSU could have played freshman and sophomores and won like they did? I don’t think so.  I’m not sure UND players don’t have the talent, but I think a fair question is why some of the starters came to the program and haven’t added significant bulk in their one or two years here. Can’t play LBs at 205 lbs....?

26 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Drop off is an understatement, more like nose-dive off a cliff. The young players forced into action at LB and corner were not able to play effectively this season, either due to youth or ability (not in the mood to argue that point again). Either way, though, it's fair to say this team needed more sophomores and juniors as backups and they just weren't there. That is on the staff for failure to properly recruit and maintain the roster. There's been a lot of missed linebacker and corner recruits in addition to player attrition at those spots during the Bubba years already. 

For the guys that are Juniors (2014 class if their redshirt was not pulled) the staff wasn't in position until January.  As somebody pointed out on another thread, the 2014 class was a killer for ILB.  We had none of them contribute in 2017, Bakker would have if he didn't have to retire.  Hard to fault the staff for not getting an all the way around good recruiting class for 2014 when they didn't start until January, I can't fully blame them for the 2014 ILB guys that were recruited.  Would you admit that this was at least a little bit out of their control.....that there isn't more/better depth in what would have been the junior class this past year given that they had 30 days to put that class together?   I will give you that they should have brought in a transfer or two at ILB to try to make up for the lack of depth.  Not sure if they tried and just couldn't land any, or if they didn't try.  

22 minutes ago, GOUND said:

I agree there was a lack of depth. But do you believe NDSU could have played freshman and sophomores and won like they did? I don’t think so.  I’m not sure UND players don’t have the talent, but I think a fair question is why some of the starters came to the program and haven’t added significant bulk in their one or two years here. Can’t play LBs at 205 lbs....?

I'm less concerned with the injury issue as it is somewhat out of our control - my problem is the 1980's inflexible offense that Bubba and Rudolph have created.  The total lack of adjustments and misuse of talent is coaching malpractice - someone needs to be held accountable and since Bubba seems incapable of holding anyone else accountable it falls on him.