SiouxSports.com Forum

Official UND Football Regime Change Thread

fightingsioux4life

2 hours ago, Texas rancher said:

How? The class that you are bringing in this year is going to have an awful lot of players starting or playing serious backup roles in 2019 and 2020.  If you are comfortable with these players compared to what the other 3 dakota schools and uni are bringing in then I have to question your football knowledge a little bit.  Case in point, a few posts up, your moderator was excited to post a tweet about your backup quarterbacks little brother coming for a visit.

Thanks for pointing that out, I meant to post it in the recruiting thread. You're right though, younger brothers are never good at sports. 

6 hours ago, Gothmog said:

That team -- the best FCS team UND has ever produced -- wouldn't have come close to winning an MVFC title.

And UND will never beat NDSU again....blah,blah,blah.   Wasn’t that what you were saying about 1990 too?  Rocky was flying high and then boom, NDSU was looking up at UND for the next 15 years.   Won’t be that many years I’ll be over in Bisonville trolling you.  Enjoy it while you can.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

And UND will never beat NDSU again....blah,blah,blah.   Wasn’t that what you were saying about 1990 too?  Rocky was flying high and then boom, NDSU was looking up at UND for the next 15 years.   Won’t be that many years I’ll be over in Bisonville trolling you.  Enjoy it while you can.

Amazing that its been a huge circle since the 1970's, except Bison fans always seem to delete certain parts of history like 1993-2003. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Folks want to say that 2017 is an anomaly year, but what if 2016 was actually the anomaly? No Montana or EWU ...

8 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Will have to wait and see but what I do know is UND will be playing all 3 Dakota schools every year starting in 2020. 

8 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

2016 won BSC. 

Will UND get an occasional season in the MVC where they get a favorable schedule like 2016.....nope. Starting in 2020 the climb to a conference title gets steeper. UND will win the MVC at some point I just don't think it will be in year 3, like being co-champs of the BSC, or earlier.

44 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Amazing that its been a huge circle since the 1970's, except Bison fans always seem to delete certain parts of history like 1993-2003. 

There is lots of truth in that statement!

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Will UND get an occasional season in the MVC where they get a favorable schedule like 2016.....nope. Starting in 2020 the climb to a conference title gets steeper. UND will win the MVC at some point I just don't think it will be in year 3, like being co-champs of the BSC, or earlier.

Lots of stuff for Bubba and Co to improve upon, but to me if they get the culture fixed back to 7-9 wins again in 2018, if they don't we are in the midst of a coaching search a year from now.  i think if O'brien and Rodgers don't go down to injury we win another 2-3 games in spite of the culture problems in 2017.

35 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Playing the tough teams early and often may be better for the team. We have only played half the conference teams so history isn’t a good factor if we would have early success in the MVFC. 

I repeat what I said a few pages ago...I was on the FIRE HAK thread for a couple of years on the hockey side so I get how the Fire Bubba guys feel. That said, I think there are only 2 camps here-Fire Bubba vs He deserves one more year. If there is no playoff game next year, I'm with you and many others will be too.

One last thing for me-if Bubba is ND nice and has a way with ND players he MUST start recruiting ND beef for the OLine. This has been a staple at SU and Bubba has to tap into that somehow. His job depends on it.

The end for me on this thread. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, shep said:

I repeat what I said a few pages ago...I was on the FIRE HAK thread for a couple of years on the hockey side so I get how the Fire Bubba guys feel. That said, I think there are only 2 camps here-Fire Bubba vs He deserves one more year. If there is no playoff game next year, I'm with you and many others will be too.

One last thing for me-if Bubba is ND nice and has a way with ND players he MUST start recruiting ND beef for the OLine. This has been a staple at SU and Bubba has to tap into that somehow. His job depends on it.

Totally agree on getting more beef on that line. Not only to open more holes but to pass block our new QB.

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 8:32 AM, UND-FB-FAN said:

Random thought:

USD's Bob Nielson (Bubba's former boss) has been at USD half the time that Bubba has been at UND (2 years vs 4 years) and Nielson already has more playoff wins.

Additionally, he's 1-1 against UND with the more impressive victory. 

Nielson is a good coach...and he is really good at coming in and winning with someone else's recruits. As an administrator he was also smart enough to hire Bubba over Mussman as well.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

I totally agree with you - UND can't sit around and hope that NDSU won't be good forever.  That's like Wake Forest and Georgia Tech basketball brass sitting around thinking that the jig is about to be up on hoops in North Carolina and Duke.  :lol:

Nobody is suggesting UND sit around and hope NDSU slips. We should aim to knock them off their pedestal and contend for titles ourselves.

But right now, other programs are catching up to NDSU. JMU beat them in the semis on the road and won the FCS title. They currently are on a 22 game winning streak. SDSU smoked them in Brookings this year. Their facilities are light years ahead of what they were 15 years ago and that will help them land talented kids. USD is having a great season; they possibly could build a perennial contender as well.

I want UND to join those schools as FCS contenders. Saying it isn't possible because of almighty NDSU is defeatist thinking. And we can't have that.

IMO no playoffs in 2018 or 2019 Bubba goes..........or another sub .500 record in either year he goes and UND needs to start fresh heading into the MVC.

What if UND makes the playoffs next year and doesn't make it past round 2 but gets beat like a drum by NDSU like last time and doesn't make the playoffs in 2019?  Bubba goes or stays?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

IMO no playoffs in 2018 or 2019 Bubba goes..........or another sub .500 record in either year he goes and UND needs to start fresh heading into the MVC.

What if UND makes the playoffs next year and doesn't make it past round 2 but gets beat like a drum by NDSU like last time and doesn't make the playoffs in 2019?  Bubba goes or stays?

Agree with Point 1.

Point 2 is an interesting question. I would say Bubba goes.

8 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Agree with Point 1.

Point 2 is an interesting question. I would say Bubba goes.

If we can factor in a certain win vs. Montana in a game that isn't actually played like some here suggest for 2016.................................I say he stays.

16 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

To paraphrase a not-to-be-named head coach in the Fire and Ice feature...

if you don't beat those knuckleheads down south, the season is not a success. 

54 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Gone

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, shep said:

I think they need to look further away for the OL, not that ND boys couldn't do it, but the biggest best ND beef will be at Moo U, if Moo U don't want them, then we probably don't want them...  of course exceptions happen...

• Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

I think they need to look further away for the OL, not that ND boys couldn't do it, but the biggest best ND beef will be at Moo U, if Moo U don't want them, then we probably don't want them...  of course exceptions happen...

Things never change and will always remain the same forever and ever..........:silly:

Um, no.

Defeatism is not an option. I would rather drop FB than have a program that finishes 6-5 most of the time.

Think big and you will go places.

Think small and you will remain so.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

I agree.

UND needs to do very well at recruiting in North Dakota, Minnesota, and Wisconsin in order to be a championship level program. They just won't be able to recruit enough annual talent completely avoiding that.

*Unfortunately, after the Big 10 schools, NDSU is almost always next in line for those local kids. UND wins 1/10 (10%) of those battles, if that*

Bubba and his staff need to stop hoping for local miracles (recruiting kids with no DI offers) and start winning over talent that is highly touted. Of course, they may also need *some* talent out of the area due to NDSU's overwhelming presence, but lately they haven't shown the ability to really even do that. 

The 2017 season really brought forward the recruiting concerns for me. The backups (mostly freshmen) that played may not be instant all-americans or even all-conference types, but they should at least show flashes (AT THE VERY LEAST). Many did not even show that. 

Bubba and his staff need some recruiting hits (success stories) for 2018 or else UND needs a new staff if not simply for just more competent recruiting. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/30/2017 at 8:32 AM, UND-FB-FAN said:

Random thought:

USD's Bob Nielson (Bubba's former boss) has been at USD half the time that Bubba has been at UND (2 years vs 4 years) and Nielson already has more playoff wins.

Additionally, he's 1-1 against UND with the more impressive victory. 

And with that random thought comes news: Bob Nielson has been offered an FBS head coaching position at Kent State.

But hey, some people on this board had better alternative facts than me. Good for you people.

14 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

And with that random thought comes news: Bob Nielson has been offered an FBS head coaching position at Kent State.

But hey, some people on this board had better alternative facts than me. Good for you people.

If Bob takes, what if he asks Bubba to be his DC?