SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ DU - SATURDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

So you're telling me in 2+ periods of hockey DU never slashed, never took a step into a guy's open skating lane, never gave a little tug with the stick blade on a hip, never left a stick in a guys feet staggering him, never grabbed on a bit too hard or a bit too long along the boards. In today's college hockey. 

Yeah right. 

We're also supposed to believe that UND won on Friday by playing a chippy game. Fortunately, Monty was able to clue in the officiating crew on all their missed calls, which helped them see the light on Saturday. 

We're also supposed to believe that after taking a questionable major penalty early in Saturday's game, UND's players and coaches couldn't figure out how the game was being called and simply continued to take penalty after penalty. Because, yeah, everyone knows that's the best way to win close games on the road. 

I found this article interesting:

A few minutes later UND’s Jordan Kawaguchi scored a goal to tie it up that was reviewed and reversed due to goalie interference.

“(Backup goaltender) Dayton Rasmussen said that it was goaltender interference,” Montgomery said. “And so we called them over and challenged it. What Dayton saw was that the guy that originally shot it put his stick where Tanner [Jaillet]’s stick was to prevent him from going left to right.”

If this is correct, Montgomery never saw any goalie interference when Kawaguchi scored. It was DU's backup goalie who called it! He certainly was the most objective observer in the building. UND needs to get its backup goalies involved in reffing the games. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PCM said:

We're also supposed to believe that UND won on Friday by playing a chippy game. Fortunately, Monty was able to clue in the officiating crew on all their missed calls, which helped them see the light on Saturday. 

We're also supposed to believe that after taking a questionable major penalty early in Saturday's game, UND's players and coaches couldn't figure out how the game was being called and simply continued to take penalty after penalty. Because, yeah, everyone knows that's the best way to win close games on the road. 

If this is correct, Montgomery never saw any goalie interference when Kawaguchi scored. It was DU's backup goalie who called it! He certainly was the most objective observer in the building. UND needs to get its backup goalies involved in reffing the games. 

Backup goalie has great eyesight to see that from the bench if you ask me. My seats were behind that goal and I had no idea why anything was being reviewed. 

30 minutes ago, PCM said:

We're also supposed to believe that after taking a questionable major penalty early in Saturday's game, UND's players and coaches couldn't figure out how the game was being called and simply continued to take penalty after penalty. 

Not sure what is more amazing:

• That we're supposed to believe that UND didn't make adjustments but instead just kept committing penalty after penalty
  • A verified "PCM" sighting ;) 
  • Upvote 2

22 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

I'll be your huckleberry...heard last night that DU converted 50% of its power plays this weekend (trying to verify that).  Anyone here think that, regardless of whether good or bad penalties, that that's probably NOT acceptable for any team's PK unit?

I'm not going to make excuses for the team but when you are facing a man short for almost half the game compared to the other team I'm surprised it wasn't more like 60%....

22 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

I'll be your huckleberry...heard last night that DU converted 50% of its power plays this weekend (trying to verify that).  Anyone here think that, regardless of whether good or bad penalties, that that's probably NOT acceptable for any team's PK unit?

Friday: UND had 4 penalties for 8 minutes, DU got 2 PPG
Saturday: UND had 8 penalties* for 27 minutes, DU got 3 PPG
Data per CollegeHockeyStats.net

*Included in there is a 5 minute major and 10 minute disqualification. 

1 hour ago, PCM said:

Come on, Ryan Anderson! Get with it!

Berry took the high road, like you'd expect him to do, but does anyone one else wish he would have taken a strong stance and really questioned what happened on Saturday? I wouldn't feel this way if Motzko hadn't the week before. If Berry has the same type of comments Motzko did, two different coaches, two different weeks, that puts a lot of eyes on how games are called in Denver.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, AJS said:

Berry took the high road, like you'd expect him to do, but does anyone one else wish he would have taken a strong stance and really questioned what happened on Saturday? I wouldn't feel this way if Motzko hadn't the week before. If Berry has the same type of comments Motzko did, two different coaches, two different weeks, that puts a lot of eyes on how games are called in Denver.

I think that it goes over much better if Berry does any questioning or making comments behind closed doors directly to the NCHC.  That does not put the NCHC in the controversial public spotlight (where most normal people do not want to be).  It makes it much easier for the NCHC to take corrective measures for the future and to clue in Montgomery that it is time for an attitude adjustment.

47 minutes ago, Siouxman said:

I think that it goes over much better if Berry does any questioning or making comments behind closed doors directly to the NCHC.  That does not put the NCHC in the controversial public spotlight (where most normal people do not want to be).  It makes it much easier for the NCHC to take corrective measures for the future and to clue in Montgomery that it is time for an attitude adjustment.

his "official" letter was supposed to do that.  maybe he needs to sit a weekend.

Video is on page 5.

That was just a really dumb play by Smith.  In the video he is watching the DU player the whole time and veers into him.  The puck is nowhere near them and Smith should have been sliding back and to his left, not out and to the right.

As mentioned, mites run into each other all the time.  High level players don't.  The DU player was wheeling around and wasn't expecting to be leaned it.  I'd call it a (2) for interference, but it was 100% unneeded.  If that same hit was on Gersich the board would be going nuts.

5 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Would be? I don't think so. It wasn't malicious or intentional, whatsoever. He was trying to make a hit, but realized too late the puck was already gone. He even pulled up.

Interference and unneeded? Absolutely. 

5 minute major? Absolutely not.

I only have 26% vision in one eye but the video clips I’ve seen (despite being at the game and like many, not seeing what happened) I just don’t understand how Adam Plante got a concussion from this. Obviously hope he’s okay, but it looks like a weak major penalty... 

2 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I only have 26% vision in one eye but the video clips I’ve seen (despite being at the game and like many, not seeing what happened) I just don’t understand how Adam Plante got a concussion from this. Obviously hope he’s okay, but it looks like a weak major penalty... 

It was a weak major penalty, if these guys ever make it to the NHL they’ll get destroyed 

48 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

Video is on page 5.

That was just a really dumb play by Smith.  In the video he is watching the DU player the whole time and veers into him.  The puck is nowhere near them and Smith should have been sliding back and to his left, not out and to the right.

As mentioned, mites run into each other all the time.  High level players don't.  The DU player was wheeling around and wasn't expecting to be leaned it.  I'd call it a (2) for interference, but it was 100% unneeded.  If that same hit was on Gersich the board would be going nuts.

With me seeing JUST the clip (even in slow motion instead of real time speed), I see it as a clear cut 2:00 interference. There is no direct head contact, no high elbows, no high speed running before hand (both gliding), no awkward landing into the boards, and no leaving the feet. No major, just a indisputable interference call. 

Now, hearing he was down and hurt after the play makes it tough for me to think the refs could've called it any other way though. Majors have to happen, and need to happen, and an unsuspecting and unprepared player getting nailed out of no where and getting hurt over it is always going to turn into a major. On top of that, whether the refs are supposed to or not, or tried to or not, I'm sure they were influenced by the crowd, Monty, and the physical play of the game leading up to that point and the style Smith had been playing with leading up to that point. With all of that said, it only adds on top of the reasoning for them to call it a 5. It sucks for UND, but I think any ncaa ref, at any rink, between any 2 teams will call a major in that situation. By no means am I defending the refs in the game as a whole, as I did not see the game. I do agree that something seems fishy about the extremely lop sided penalty calling and no goal challenge/not challenge ordeal. Especially with what happened against St. Cloud just last weekend.  

What injury was Plant recovering from before Saturday? A concussion? If not a concussion I don't see how that factors into this conversation? Playing tentative and not able to protect himself the same as normal maybe?  Either way, even if he did come back too early I doubt that was something the ref considered when he was thinking about his call during his 2-3 second window...he just saw a blatantly obvious interference where a player got injured. Stupid play by Smith. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

Video is on page 5.

Looks to me like it was an easy call on the minor and a dumb call on the major.  In either case, Smith was playing extremely dumb hockey to put his team a man down (for even two minutes) against that power play.   Can't control the refs, but you can control yourself. 

10 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Through my years of playing football and hockey, I've seen some of the most giant hits, blocks, tackles result in absolutely nothing, especially if both players are prepared for it. I've also seen some of the most unnoticeable and harmless hits turn into career ending very serious concussions. It doesn't always take crushing contact to get a concussion. 

6 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

With me seeing JUST the clip (even in slow motion instead of real time speed), I see it as a clear cut 2:00 interference. There is no direct head contact, no high elbows, no high speed running before hand (both gliding), no awkward landing into the boards, and no leaving the feet. No major, just a indisputable interference call. 

Now, hearing he was down and hurt after the play makes it tough for me to think the refs could've called it any other way though. Majors have to happen, and need to happen, and an unsuspecting and unprepared player getting nailed out of no where and getting hurt over it is always going to turn into a major. On top of that, whether the refs are supposed to or not, or tried to or not, I'm sure they were influenced by the crowd, Monty, and the physical play of the game leading up to that point and the style Smith had been playing with leading up to that point. With all of that said, it only adds on top of the reasoning for them to call it a 5. It sucks for UND, but I think any ncaa ref, at any rink, between any 2 teams will call a major in that situation. By no means am I defending the refs in the game as a whole, as I did not see the game. I do agree that something seems fishy about the extremely lop sided penalty calling and no goal challenge/not challenge ordeal. Especially with what happened against St. Cloud just last weekend.  

What injury was Plant recovering from before Saturday? A concussion? If not a concussion I don't see how that factors into this conversation? Playing tentative and not able to protect himself the same as normal? But when you get hit when you're not supposed to get hit, I don't see how that would change anything if it wasn't a concussion recovery. Either way, even if he did come back too early I doubt that was something the ref considered when he was thinking about his call during his 2-3 second window...he just saw a blatantly obvious interference where a player got injured. Stupid play by Smith. 

The fact a player got injured should not turn an obvious 2 in to a 5 in any league at any level. This is why players pretend they got shot and lay on the ice all the time.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, burd said:

Looks to me like it was an easy call on the minor and a dumb call on the major.  In either case, Smith was playing extremely dumb hockey to put his team a man down (for even two minutes) against that power play.   Can't control the refs, but you can control yourself. 

I basically was partially glad he got kicked out because I foolishly thought it meant we’d get less penalties as that was his 4th of the weekend...