SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ DU - SATURDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

6 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I'll be your huckleberry...heard last night that DU converted 50% of its power plays this weekend (trying to verify that).  Anyone here think that, regardless of whether good or bad penalties, that that's probably NOT acceptable for any team's PK unit?

Terry and Borgstrom.....both playing in the wrong league. :lol:

I highly doubt he doesn't realize they are getting the benefit of any doubt on these penalty calls. He's got a team with a finesse style that won't hold up well against a good team that grinds it out so he's gonna use whatever tools are at his disposal to slow down any toughness, and that includes chirping at the refs constantly. Then after the game spinning the "dangerous" narrative to legitimize those calls.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, FGHTNSX Hawkey14 said:

It's on here, a few pages back.

Thanks just watched it. Was at game but didn’t see the play. Absolutely can’t believe what was called after looking at the replay.  I agree that player was already injured and couldn’t take any kind of hit. This league will eat Monty up eventually and NHL would eat him up in a week. 

16 hours ago, tnt said:

The scary part to me is that they would generally want to get the best officials to do a #1 versus a #3 contest.  Heaven help the NCHC if that is the case.  Just like at the regional last year, Berry took the high road by not blowing up.  You can bet if the roles were reversed, Monty would have come unglued!. Time for Schlossman to do a little research and see if UND has ever had 27 minutes to 2 minute advantage on power plays or similar.

There was a game in Denver a few years back where it looked like Denver was going to be penalized and then Ben Blood ended up getting thrown into the box. That's the game that UND got hosed terribly and ended up getting called for like 8-10 penalties in a row. I don't remember the date. 

19 hours ago, Stack said:

Actually Montgomery was thanking the linesmen and the refs after everyone else had left the ice for letting him call that no Goal. Plus telling them thanks for the 27-2 in PIM against North Dakota.

I now dislike Montgomery more that Gwozdecky. What a jerk!

9 hours ago, sprig said:

Nothing creates more rivalry and animosity than extremely biased officiating. Last night surpasses anything ever called during games vs the Gophers or vs Denver during the Gwoz era. I've not seen anything close, ever.

8 hours ago, sioux rube said:

He has now become my most despised coach in any sport. What a little baby.

tumblr_n2x6anAgbo1qdlh1io1_r1_400.gif

WELL THAT ESCALATED QUICKLY!

C'mon, sprig!  WORSE than the Paukovich hit on Bina at the Final Five?

18 hours ago, tnt said:

I actually like that Berry talks about what they need to do going forward from here, as it doesn't allow the players to use it as an excuse, no matter how extreme.  Of course he didn't like a lot of the calls, but players will have to adjust to bad officiating in the future, so it is a learning opportunity, and hopefully it doesn't get that bad again.

Yep.  Take this memory and keep it cold in your heart.  Bring it to the Frozen Four and drop an 8 spot on monty and the boys.

3 hours ago, Goon said:

There was a game in Denver a few years back where it looked like Denver was going to be penalized and then Ben Blood ended up getting thrown into the box. That's the game that UND got hosed terribly and ended up getting called for like 8-10 penalties in a row. I don't remember the date. 

It was the 09-10 season. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Goon said:

I also thought there was a game/series in Denver not involving UND where the same thing happened and the refs were suspended indefinitely afterwards.

I've watched a lot of UND hockey and Saturday's game and how it was called was unique. I don't know if I've ever seen anything like it. Didn't watch the St. Cloud series, but have never heard Motzko react the way he did before. Fair or not, I wonder if you'll start to hear rumblings from opposing teams (you now have two) about the trip to Denver. Like I mentioned in my post above, Montgomery's tirades work, no doubt, he has the refs in his back pocket. I'm very interested to see and I'll pay close attention to how games are called going forward in Denver.

17 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

Saturday night should be an embarrassment for the NCHC brass.  Too many homer calls for DU and our newest villain coach Montgomery.  How many homer calls do we get at the Ralph?  Can't wait for the home series vs. DU at the Ralph.

Perhaps they should grease the top of the dasher for that series. You know, just in case.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, AJS said:

I've watched a lot of UND hockey and Saturday's game and how it was called was unique. I don't know if I've ever seen anything like it. Didn't watch the St. Cloud series, but have never heard Motzko react the way he did before. Fair or not, I wonder if you'll start to hear rumblings from opposing teams (you now have two) about the trip to Denver. Like I mentioned in my post above, Montgomery's tirades work, no doubt, he has the refs in his back pocket. I'm very interested to see and I'll pay close attention to how games are called going forward in Denver.

The refs got the Full Monty. What a complete embarrassment to the game. 

• Upvote 1

1) The NCHC needs to displine Monty for his tirades or the refs need to take it into their own hands and let a call go and skate by the bench and say “next time keep your mouth shut”.   You reward good behavior and/or punish bad behavior. Pick one, the other, or both. 

2). Mark my words this will come back to haunt DU at some point this season most likely in the NC$$s. When you are used to getting coddled and all of a sudden it doesn’t go your way a meltdown will ensue. Imagine a game when the refs put the whistles in their pockets and “let them play”. Their stars won’t be able to handle it.  

I won't quote @The Sicatoka entire post, but just one part.

"So you're telling me in 2+ periods of hockey DU never slashed, never took a step into a guy's open skating lane, never gave a little tug with the stick blade on a hip, never left a stick in a guys feet staggering him, never grabbed on a bit too hard or a bit too long along the boards. In today's college hockey."

I've said I don't think there were any phantom calls against UND, but when I talk about "unique" and never have seen anything like it, above has a lot to do with it. Matching up minors is the worst, so I'm far from that, but never have I seen every call go one way. Not only every call go one way, but never have I seen a situation where one team has 4 or 5 calls go against them in a row and the refs are calling questionable (not blatant // not Wolanin's, that was) calls on that team.