SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ DU - SATURDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

I just want the games to be reffed consistently. If you're gonna make stupid calls, make stupid calls all around. I said it last night and I will say it again, the ref should never be the center of the game. And penalty calls should not be dictated based on which coach is whining.

The reffing commentary and Denver hyperbole are en fuego today.  Seems like just yesterday when we complained about UMD always getting the better end of the worst calls in hockey history and were the biggest bunch of divers and "p*ss**s" on the ice?  Oh, wait, it literally WAS just yesterday when we said all that...

2 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Anyone else worried about Thome overplaying a lot of pucks? I've noticed it in his first 5 games but he never really paid for it. Denver's last 2 goals were scored on essentially empty nets while Thome was on the opposite side of the crease. It reminded me of Eidsness. 

Thome has great potential but needs to get a little more refined. I'm excited to get Cam back in the net for the stretch run. 

Yes I noticed it too. This was my first weekend seeing him live and I commented to my wife how overly aggressive he appeared in his crease. He slides around a lot and he oftentimes rests on his pillows. Terry’s goal on Friday went upstairs and I wonder if he would’ve scored had Thome been standing up? Kid’s got a lot of natural talent but he seems raw at times and inexperienced compared to Johnson. Give Peter Thome a ton of credit though-the circumstances in which he was thrust into the starting position, talk about being thrown to the wolves. Kudos to Thome!

• Upvote 1

Love those black sweaters. Too bad they are an “away” jersey. Often with limited home-fan TV coverage. And they only surface when we think it’s all uphill, which means it’s a critical contest (but then which ones aren’t?). What is our black sweater record now? I don’t know. Nevertheless Denver remains the team to beat, we get another chance at The Ralph in late January. In the meantime ... Keep on keeping on. Go Sioux!

1 hour ago, WiSioux said:

I just want the games to be reffed consistently. If you're gonna make stupid calls, make stupid calls all around. I said it last night and I will say it again, the ref should never be the center of the game. And penalty calls should not be dictated based on which coach is whining.

So which way do we want it?  When DU gets 8 straight power players, we complain about the officiating.  When DU gets two straight power plays, the assumption is that UND should automatically get the next one to "even things up a bit," but then penalty calls are dictated by whining coaches and fans.  I'm so confused...

• Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

So which way do we want it?  When DU gets 8 straight power players, we complain about the officiating.  When DU gets two straight power plays, the assumption is that UND should automatically get the next one to "even things up a bit," but then penalty calls are dictated by whining coaches and fans.  I'm so confused...

I'd be fine with unbiased officiating, call penalties that are penalties and call both teams the same. Last night was an obvious example of not doing that. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Feff said:

I'd be fine with unbiased officiating, call penalties that are penalties and call both teams the same. Last night was an obvious example of not doing that. 

"Call it both ways" is something I've heard going back about 30 years.  Statistics show that the home team typically gets the benefit of some calls because of the influence of the home fans cheering or booing as certain calls are made as well as the home coach giving the referees an earful.  Last night's games was an example of both of those happening.  

• Downvote 1

Dangerous hit?  I think that hit had more to do with the fact that Montgomery clearly had a kid playing that was still injured and wasn't ready to be back in the lineup.
That's two weeks in a row that I've seen Montgomery whining at the refs constantly...and two weeks in a row that DU's opponent has had a goal disallowed late in the 3rd.
I didn't watch the DU/WMU series, but I can only imagine it was happening then as well with DU getting swept.

Time to start giving him delay of game penalties with all that yelling and complaining.  He was yelling at the refs last night too even with them getting all the calls.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

"Call it both ways" is something I've heard going back about 30 years.  Statistics show that the home team typically gets the benefit of some calls because of the influence of the home fans cheering or booing as certain calls are made as well as the home coach giving the referees an earful.  Last night's games was an example of both of those happening.  

Maybe the latter but the home fans at Magness are always completely drowned out by Sioux fans. Really no home ice advantage there.

11 hours ago, Smoggy said:

When I first saw the Smith hit I thought it was an interference.  Then when the player was injured I thought he got hit in head.  Then I saw replay and that wasn't true.  Then boarding was called when the player never hit the boards.  Then I saw the replay on this site (since tv only showed once) and realized Smith wasn't even looking in the direction of the player.  He literally was reacting to being run into.

Can somebody post a replay of this hit please 

45 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I'm taking my green glasses off.  Let's talk about this.

I'll be your huckleberry...heard last night that DU converted 50% of its power plays this weekend (trying to verify that).  Anyone here think that, regardless of whether good or bad penalties, that that's probably NOT acceptable for any team's PK unit?

• Downvote 2