SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 UND Recruiting

UNDBIZ

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 8:47 PM, UND-FB-FAN said:

The most recent Heisman Trophy winner was only 5’9” ....

Im not worried about 6’1” AT ALL. There are so many other factors more important, such as leadership, arm strength and accuracy, and decision-making. Most importantly, possibly, is clutch play. The good ones make big plays in big games in big situations. 

I think Freund’s offense and QB coaching will make the most difference in UND’s QB play. 

This right here is what I think the biggest difference will be this year!

• Upvote 2

Hero compiled a list of the top 300 FCS recruits, none of them are our signees unfortunately.    In the short run the coaches are going to have to mold what we have into top calibre players.   In the long run we have to pick up players that make the list, just no two ways about it.    I'm actually surprised Billy Rivere didn't make the list though, he's a solid player.   https://herosports.com/fcs/football-2019-recruiting-top-300-fcs-signees-rankings-ajaj?fbclid=IwAR0Ozr1VydJUgCb5LtEqhWRfM7c06l5YcgUbm_YW46Uo4AnwbJlKBDkPMM0

I just looked at that list of top recruits it seems to heavily weighted with kids from the south and both coasts. It had about less than 6 kids from MN, WI, IA, SD, ND  for UND to get top recruit out of this area is pretty small looking at the number FCS programs recruiting out this same area. NDSU had 3 of the recruits and SDSU had one so others went to Iowa or some place else. I think this list is for fans to ponder over and use as material weighing their own teams if had good recruiting year. I think better way to judge on how well your school is recruiting is buy how well each recruiting class performs in next few years and quality of the team you have at that time.  You hope your schools coaching staff is good at judging talent and developing talent because that is how your going to win at FCS level division of football. Programs like UND are never going to get the top recruits of the country to come hear unless its because they have other reasons to come hear and go to school this is not like Top FBS programs in the country. My big concern is that they can recruit enough talent so we have enough depth when injuries mount up you have players ready to step up and fill in. This where you need that good players that are walk on  that fill up your depth charts so when you have injuries you have quality players to fill in. This has been the difference that NDSU has had in last 4 to 5 years is that they have the depth across the board that they had talent to step up and fill positions when they have had injuries. Where we have had not the depth to do this we either pulled redshirt or we moved players from other positions this shows why we have fallen off as season progresses it because we haven't had that extra depth.

11 hours ago, Hawkster said:

Hero compiled a list of the top 300 FCS recruits, none of them are our signees unfortunately.    In the short run the coaches are going to have to mold what we have into top calibre players.   In the long run we have to pick up players that make the list, just no two ways about it.    I'm actually surprised Billy Rivere didn't make the list though, he's a solid player.   https://herosports.com/fcs/football-2019-recruiting-top-300-fcs-signees-rankings-ajaj?fbclid=IwAR0Ozr1VydJUgCb5LtEqhWRfM7c06l5YcgUbm_YW46Uo4AnwbJlKBDkPMM0

From the article: 

• This isn't the 247Sports "star" rating formula, or Rivals.com. It's only based on scholarship offers. If you held at least three FCS offers? You added bonus points to your school's ranking. But no matter what? If you signed with your school, you helped in the ranking below in our formula.
  • We consider all D-1 scholarship offers of the 2,500 or so FCS signees ... P5 offers? FBS offers? FCS? How many? And if you signed with your favorite school? The offers are "tiered" and you helped the "score" because we gave credence to quantity AND quality. Once again, everybody who signed with an FCS school helped their school's rating in the formula.

I mean, how can you give much credence to that. Not a chance they knew every kid's offers and how many of them were even committable?  Also, some kids shut down their recruitment after they commit there and other offers they get (or would have got) are never made public.  As previously stated, fine piece for conversation, but pretty short on actual relevance due to the shadiness of recruiting in general and here's a prime example of how accurate this kind of thing is:

29 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

From the article: 

• This isn't the 247Sports "star" rating formula, or Rivals.com. It's only based on scholarship offers. If you held at least three FCS offers? You added bonus points to your school's ranking. But no matter what? If you signed with your school, you helped in the ranking below in our formula.
  • We consider all D-1 scholarship offers of the 2,500 or so FCS signees ... P5 offers? FBS offers? FCS? How many? And if you signed with your favorite school? The offers are "tiered" and you helped the "score" because we gave credence to quantity AND quality. Once again, everybody who signed with an FCS school helped their school's rating in the formula.

I mean, how can you give much credence to that. Not a chance they knew every kid's offers and how many of them were even committable?  Also, some kids shut down their recruitment after they commit there and other offers they get (or would have got) are never made public.  As previously stated, fine piece for conversation, but pretty short on actual relevance due to the shadiness of recruiting in general and here's a prime example of how accurate this kind of thing is:

The only rating that matters is W's.  (Clean W's, that is)

• Upvote 4

FBS recruit rankings (Rivals, ESPNU, etc.) are a crapshoot, so how in the hell would “HeroSports” know all the secrets of the even more under-the-radar FCS recruits? Answer: they don’t. 

The rankings are crap. @gundy1124 said it best: base the recruiting class rankings off of the subsequent wins (or lack thereof). There’s just no way to really know right now. Sorry to all those master predictors out there. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/7/2019 at 10:50 PM, bincitysioux said:

Here's my hot-take: Michigan's Player of the Year probably doesn't suck as bad as a lot of people may think.......

You could be right. But there are a lot of low level G5 FBS teams in Michigan and MVFC teams that recruit Michigan hard, and his only offer was D2. Not even any PWO's. Not saying he won't work out, but there must be a reason no one else offered. He wasn't under the radar if he was playing in the largest class in Michigan. 

7 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

You could be right. But there are a lot of low level G5 FBS teams in Michigan and MVFC teams that recruit Michigan hard, and his only offer was D2. Not even any PWO's. Not saying he won't work out, but there must be a reason no one else offered. He wasn't under the radar if he was playing in the largest class in Michigan. 

Maybe because he is 6'1" not 6'4"... 

11 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Very few FCS teams recruit Michigan that hard.  They may dabble but it's pretty under-recruited, actually.

10 minutes ago, shep said:

By the same token, there's talk that a 5'9" guy is the #1 QB in the NFL draft.

With the right system, this can happen. No square peg through a round hole.

6’0” Drew Brees does great, but doesn’t hurt having offensive genius in Sean Payton either. 

Murray is completely different player than Brees, though, and will require something like what Robert Griffin III had in NFL/Washington (that is, all is good until injury strikes).  Murray’s career in the NFL will go as far as his health will take him, but such is the truth for most NFL players. 

As for UND and “short QBs”, it will come down to intangibles (e.g., leadership in big moments) AND the offensive plan of Mr. Freund. Excited, and anxious with anticipation of importance, to see what Freund can do. Spring ball will be nice initial indicator of schematics. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

As for UND and “short QBs”, it will come down to intangibles (e.g., leadership in big moments) AND the offensive plan of Mr. Freund. 

I really want to see a picture of this QB and Freund side by side. I suspect they are nominally the same height. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...