SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 UND Recruiting

UNDBIZ

On 3/8/2018 at 10:09 AM, UND Fan said:

Bubba and staff have been busy - going head-to-head with other MVC teams on a lot of these kids.  New offers:

WR/P Matthew Wedig, 6'4", 210, 4.8, Beloit (Memorial), WI  

Luke Reimer, 6'2", 210, Lincoln (Nroth Star), NE   Has offers from USD & SDSU

LB Tom Brunner, 6'4", 215, Milwaukee (Whitefish Bay), WI

DE Caden Johnson, 6'3", 240, Wahoo (Bishop Newmann), NE  Has offers from UNI, USD & SDSU

DE Christopher Reames, 6'7", 215, Van Meter (Van Meter), IA  Has offers from NDSU, SDSU, USD, UNI & SF Austin

WR Larry Williams, 6'1", 195, St. Louis (Cristian Bothers), MO  Has offer from Ball St

PK Matthew Jaeger, 6'1", 180, Plymouth (Robbinsdale), MN  Has offer from Drake

DT Coty Lemon, 6'3", 285, Dallas Center (Dallas Center), IA

DE Nick Dejong, 6'6", 250, Pella (Pella), IA  Has offers from USD & UNI 

Reames will play at Iowa. 

On 10/19/2018 at 1:40 PM, gfhockey said:

So what if I came up with natty

I'm sure it came to you as you woke up bleary-eyed one morning and saw ... 

Natural-Light-Beer.png?w=980&q=75

Sad thing is that's probably the best thing you've ever woken up bleary-eyed to.  :0 

• Upvote 1

Just spent 1/2 reviewing this subject and previous posts.

Willmar, Mn QB Dirk Dricksen 6'4" 185 lbs. Never mentioned as. 2019 recruit.   He tore up a very good undefeated Detroit Lakes team last night. I know he is also an outstanding BB player but he has big time talent.  Big time arm.  Threw for 4 TD's and the DL DB's had good coverage almost all night. I think only twice were there missed assignments. He was 11 for 19 with a couple of drops. Had 148 yds  passing and 4 TD's and 120 yds rushing. He keeps plays alive with his athletic ability and as he scrambles he is always looking downfield. Good speed and great quickness for big kid.  DL was missing  their stud defensive player but the Dirksen kid makes a good Willmar team great. Has Mollberg's arm but a little taller and he is quicker.  He can start at UND and I think he is better than the 2 guys the Gophers have started this year. Of course you have to take my opinion with a grain of salt.  I also tried to convince UND Adam Thielen could have played at UND.  Check out his HUDL highlights. You can't have too many QB's.  I would offer this guy.  Willmar 's receiver Ty Roelofs should also be looked at. Great hands, good size.  Good not great speed.  

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Willmar, Mn QB Dirk Dricksen 6'4" 185 lbs. Never mentioned as. 2019 recruit.   He tore up a very good undefeated Detroit Lakes team last night. I know he is also an outstanding BB player but he has big time talent.  Big time arm.  Threw for 4 TD's and the DL DB's had good coverage almost all night. I think only twice were there missed assignments. He was 11 for 19 with a couple of drops. Had 148 yds  passing and 4 TD's and 120 yds rushing. He keeps plays alive with his athletic ability and as he scrambles he is always looking downfield. Good speed and great quickness for big kid.  DL was missing  their stud defensive player but the Dirksen kid makes a good Willmar team great. Has Mollberg's arm but a little taller and he is quicker.  He can start at UND and I think he is better than the 2 guys the Gophers have started this year. Of course you have to take my opinion with a grain of salt.  I also tried to convince UND Adam Thielen could have played at UND.  Check out his HUDL highlights. You can't have too many QB's.  I would offer this guy.  Willmar 's receiver Ty Roelofs should also be looked at. Great hands, good size.  Good not great speed.  

*Drey

http://www.hudl.com/profile/5625356/Drey-Dirksen/videos

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

Ira I feel like you’ve been missing a lot lately. Love hearing your opinions!

On November 3, 2018 at 2:16 PM, geaux_sioux said:

He definitely has impressive elusively. Really good shake. The one thing I would question is how long his delivery is. Takes him a bit too long to get the ball out of his hand. Looks to have tons of potential though.

Flick of his wrist for a 25yd completion. He looked  like it was effortless.  

On 11/3/2018 at 1:56 PM, iramurphy said:

I can buy this.  Dricksen plays with a ton of confidence, too!!  I was impressed with Willmar's offensive line, too.  Back to Dricksen......he has a six sense on the field and for being a little thin, always fell forward for more yards, so strong.  He will fill out nicely and not worried about his throwing motion.  (a good QB coach could tighten that up, so I guess a little worried about that)  I was hoping to see more from DL offensively but it seems like their offensive scheme is limited to running up the middle, never tested the outside, passing game is elementary.  Play calling was suspect, too!!  How Willmar managed 9 in the box was impressive. The counter part to Dricksen is a big kid, too, the DL QB but I am afraid the offense and limited coaching will not do him any favors, he better get to some camps this summer and sell himself, because handing off 45 of 50 plays makes for a short HUDL film!!  On the MN concussion protocol, you have to tell kids to sit down for 5 minutes and don't dare say anything about your head or ears ringing!!  The DE for Detroit Lakes, the lone guy that could have made a difference, 240 lb DE that is freakishly strong, was held out because he only was 4 days cleared on his concussion test, not 5 days.  He complained for 2 seconds that his ears were ringing and his helmet was yanked.......can't do that leading into the section final.  Willmar had a rabbit foot up their a_s, too.  They converted 3rd and 18 on their 1st drive on a diving catch, recovered both of their fumbles in 1st half and scored all 3 times on those drives.  Then DL fumbles the opening kick-off.  Between DL and UND, it was a devastating weekend, not sure how long it will take me to recover!!

DL had a lot of Jrs this year.  If their RB, Isaiah, cuts his 40- time by a 10th or 2, I think he can play FCS, too.  Then, as mentioned, the QB has potential, which one would gather when both parents are all american athletes in college and father threw mid 90's in the minor leagues......but I am not overly optimistic he gets exposure in that limited system.  Rudy could teach them a toss play to the outside, that would help.......  Then more than 2 pass plays during the year, would also be helpful.

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

I can buy this.  Dricksen plays with a ton of confidence, too!!  I was impressed with Willmar's offensive line, too.  Back to Dricksen......he has a six sense on the field and for being a little thin, always fell forward for more yards, so strong.  He will fill out nicely and not worried about his throwing motion.  (a good QB coach could tighten that up, so I guess a little worried about that)  I was hoping to see more from DL offensively but it seems like their offensive scheme is limited to running up the middle, never tested the outside, passing game is elementary.  Play calling was suspect, too!!  How Willmar managed 9 in the box was impressive. The counter part to Dricksen is a big kid, too, the DL QB but I am afraid the offense and limited coaching will not do him any favors, he better get to some camps this summer and sell himself, because handing off 45 of 50 plays makes for a short HUDL film!!  On the MN concussion protocol, you have to tell kids to sit down for 5 minutes and don't dare say anything about your head or ears ringing!!  The DE for Detroit Lakes, the lone guy that could have made a difference, 240 lb DE that is freakishly strong, was held out because he only was 4 days cleared on his concussion test, not 5 days.  He complained for 2 seconds that his ears were ringing and his helmet was yanked.......can't do that leading into the section final.  Willmar had a rabbit foot up their a_s, too.  They converted 3rd and 18 on their 1st drive on a diving catch, recovered both of their fumbles in 1st half and scored all 3 times on those drives.  Then DL fumbles the opening kick-off.  Between DL and UND, it was a devastating weekend, not sure how long it will take me to recover!!

DL had a lot of Jrs this year.  If their RB, Isaiah, cuts his 40- time by a 10th or 2, I think he can play FCS, too.  Then, as mentioned, the QB has potential, which one would gather when both parents are all american athletes in college and father threw mid 90's in the minor leagues......but I am not overly optimistic he gets exposure in that limited system.  Rudy could teach them a toss play to the outside, that would help.......  Then more than 2 pass plays during the year, would also be helpful.

Gundy,

Your info on the concussion isn't accurate.  I pulled his helmet and have never pulled a helmet for a kid who complained of anything for 2 seconds. We utilize a strict concussion protocol similar to that used at  colleges and the pros across the country.  Our athletic trainer will come in on weekends to start the protocol as soon as possible once an athlete is symptom free.  He is also going to be cautious because we had at the youth athletic level who repeatedly was returned to play and who did not have proper concussion management and lost his last year and one half of contact sports because he has what appear to be permanent cognitive deficits.  One of my former teammates, who was arguably the best linebacker in UND's history, is now in a nursing home. No high school athletic event is that important. The 240 lb DE end could have compromised his chances to play in the next game had he played and got hit in the head again.  It is tempting for medical staff to send kids who seem fine back to soon because we want them to be able to play and we want their teams to be successful.

I agree the game might have been different with our DE playing.  We are obligated to follow a strict protocol in order to protect the athletes.  It protects the athletes and it protects the school from litigation. I also agree our RB who ran for over 1600 yds playing in just over half of our games this year is a kid to watch as is our QB and our kicker.  All 3 kids need to continue to develop and physically mature.  Bubba is aware of all 3 of them.  I semt him a note on the Willmar QB and they were aware of him but said they would take another look.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Gundy,

Your info on the concussion isn't accurate.  I pulled his helmet and have never pulled a helmet for a kid who complained of anything for 2 seconds. We utilize a strict concussion protocol similar to that used at  colleges and the pros across the country.  Our athletic trainer will come in on weekends to start the protocol as soon as possible once an athlete is symptom free.  He is also going to be cautious because we had at the youth athletic level who repeatedly was returned to play and who did not have proper concussion management and lost his last year and one half of contact sports because he has what appear to be permanent cognitive deficits.  One of my former teammates, who was arguably the best linebacker in UND's history, is now in a nursing home. No high school athletic event is that important. The 240 lb DE end could have compromised his chances to play in the next game had he played and got hit in the head again.  It is tempting for medical staff to send kids who seem fine back to soon because we want them to be able to play and we want their teams to be successful.

I agree the game might have been different with our DE playing.  We are obligated to follow a strict protocol in order to protect the athletes.  It protects the athletes and it protects the school from litigation. I also agree our RB who ran for over 1600 yds playing in just over half of our games this year is a kid to watch as is our QB and our kicker.  All 3 kids need to continue to develop and physically mature.  Bubba is aware of all 3 of them.  I semt him a note on the Willmar QB and they were aware of him but said they would take another look.

If the team is satisfied with Section Runner-up Shirts that's fine.  I guess times are just different. 

As far as 2019 recruiting, you've had a good eye.  

First off, great to get another commit. But how long can UND continue bringing in 4-5 DEs per year while largely ignoring the QB, RB, & NT positions? 

I'm getting concerned over the lack of weight returning on our DL. Will need a couple OL to switch sides or bring in a couple JUCOs.

• Upvote 1