SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 UND Recruiting

UNDBIZ

On 8/1/2018 at 9:50 AM, gundy1124 said:

I wonder how many times numb nuts called and texted the kid in the last 24 hours??  Fleck is a total stroke in my book.  (Texting kids every 30 minutes for an answer)

Kid tweeted out an apology and said things were exaggerated and he has nothing but respect for Minnesota. Fleck says he isn't for everybody and that is alright but he is real. He has already produced some of the highest ranked recruiting classes Minnesota has seen. I would've liked to see him close on a few more of the top guys like Quinn Carroll and Bryce Benhart but as the wins come it will be easier to land those guys.

16 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Kid tweeted out an apology and said things were exaggerated and he has nothing but respect for Minnesota. Fleck says he isn't for everybody and that is alright but he is real. He has already produced some of the highest ranked recruiting classes Minnesota has seen. I would've liked to see him close on a few more of the top guys like Quinn Carroll and Bryce Benhart but as the wins come it will be easier to land those guys.

If the wins comes.... (had to do it)

he might get another pass this year (outside of Reusse from the Star-Trib) but starting in 2019 if things don't pick up it won't matter what he does or how many times he says row the boat. I don't want to hear another year zero comment from him this year.  The QBs cannot be worse than they were last year. (I hope the Mankato West kid wins the job)

30 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

If the wins comes.... (had to do it)

he might get another pass this year (outside of Reusse from the Star-Trib) but starting in 2019 if things don't pick up it won't matter what he does or how many times he says row the boat. I don't want to hear another year zero comment from him this year.  The QBs cannot be worse than they were last year. (I hope the Mankato West kid wins the job)

Yeah I thought they would've won more last year and probably should've found a way to beat Maryland and Purdue even with the injuries. Think there will be a lot of new faces seeing a lot of time but that doesn't mean they can't win and in most cases it is a good thing. Agree on the QB play being better even though neither guy has made a start. At minimum I think they will be bowl eligible this season.

1 hour ago, SiouxScore said:

Yes, not for everyone, but probably more in line with recruits today than I.  (much softer and with pom poms)  I guess the guy has dozens and dozens of photos of himself in his office, not for me!!

43 minutes ago, Hambone said:

Looks like Westberg has flipped to the Bison.

Disappointing for sure, but more than enough time to fill his spot. I know this is one guy, but I do see this as a positive that despite the recruits offers (Westberg only had D2 before UND), that the coaching staff has an eye for talent. If Westerberg is good enough for the NDSU O-Line, he's good. This type of thing is relatively rare as UND can usually hold on to guys once they commit, so here's hoping no one else flips.  

Classy move by the kid deleting all history of his offer and commitment to UND.  Then re-writes a whole new commitment tweet.  ???

Be interesting to see how BV spins this one.  Remember, he was one of our "no other offer" guys they mocked.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Classy move by the kid deleting all history of his offer and commitment to UND.  Then re-writes a whole new commitment tweet.  ???

Be interesting to see how BV spins this one.  Remember, he was one of our "no other offer" guys they mocked.

Bold take assuming they will actually comprehend the irony. 

UND has a good history picking up guys from northern Minnesota (which starts around Elk River/Andover) as it tends to be an under recruited area. Hope they can hang on to the other guys the have up there. 

2 hours ago, Hambone said:

Looks like Westberg has flipped to the Bison.

......millennials

I would like to think 'your word' still means something, and I think it does for most......but it doesn't for a few, and that stains the entire process.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

......millennials

I would like to think 'your word' still means something, and I think it does for most......but it doesn't for a few, and that stains the entire process.

Happens, won't be the last.  Some handle it differently.  

The spin is everything I thought it would be.  :blink:

I don't care that much about losing the recruit, it won't be the last one.  Since this is a message board I more care about their spin on taking our D2 leftover who suddenly became "talented" and a "hidden gem".

24 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

The spin is everything I thought it would be.  :blink:

I don't care that much about losing the recruit, it won't be the last one.  Since this is a message board I more care about their spin on taking our D2 leftover who suddenly became "talented" and a "hidden gem".

Hey now; he really improved over the past two weeks. :lol:

10 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

......millennials

Yet if it were reversed and the Weerts kid flipped to UND you would be praising the kid for seeing the light and praising Bubba for being persistent in his recruitment...

5 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Yet if it were reversed and the Weerts kid flipped to UND you would be praising the kid for seeing the light and praising Bubba for being persistent in his recruitment...

#butnootheroffers

..and no we would not say that.  That is what was just stated on BV about this situation.

The kid obviously wasn't very committed.  Whatevs.

11 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

#butnootheroffers

..and no we would not say that.  That is what was just stated on BV about this situation.

The kid obviously wasn't very committed.  Whatevs.

I don’t like to see flips like this either. I wish a kid would stick with his commitment. But UND hockey just flipped the Randklev kid from Moorhead from ASU to UND. I don’t think there was talk about the entire process going in the tank then.

3 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

I don’t like to see flips like this either. I wish a kid would stick with his commitment. But UND hockey just flipped the Randklev kid from Moorhead from ASU to UND. I don’t think there was talk about the entire process going in the tank then.

This isn’t a hockey forum. Who cares? 

Appears UND has an eye for talent despite what NDSU trolls think or say. 

The kid may be on a good football team but he will receive an inferior education; and who knows how this thing plays out when regularly scheduled conference play opens up between UND and NDSU again. We all know how conference play went between the two programs before. 

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The kid may be on a good football team but he will receive an inferior education; and who knows how this thing plays out when regularly scheduled conference play opens up between UND and NDSU again. We all know how conference play went between the two programs before. 

Yeah, superior education? When your Law School grads start passing the ND Bar at a rate higher than a third of grads from out of state schools then get back to me about the great education at UND. 

But this is a recruiting forum. What about the Stecklet kid that was about to sign as a PWO with NDSU and at the last minute UND offered a scholly?

and by the way, this ain’t the late 90’s or early 2000’s. The playing field has shifted greatly.

10 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Yeah, superior education? When your Law School grads start passing the ND Bar at a rate higher than a third of grads from out of state schools then get back to me about the great education at UND. 

But this is a recruiting forum. What about the Stecklet kid that was about to sign as a PWO with NDSU and at the last minute UND offered a scholly?

and by the way, this ain’t the late 90’s or early 2000’s. The playing field has shifted greatly.

Aahh Stecker.  Go look at how he handled it on Twitter (correctly).  Plus, UND was on him the whole time, its just NDSU gave him a PJ-like deadline and he obviously didn't want to take it but felt pressured.  This situation is completely different.  

29 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Agree with you to a point. I’m not a fan of flips,but you take em when you get em and you hate it when you lose em.

As for hockey, much different process. Some of these kids start committing at like 13 or 14 before they know where they actually want to be for college and before the schools even know where their development will be at. It’s dumb. 

I think the majority of the people commenting are more tongue in cheek about NDSU stealing a kid with no other D1 offers when many (not all) Bison fans were chastising UNDs recruiting the kid in the first place.

i do think it was tacky how the kid did it. Pretty simple to, rather than delete you prior commitment, simply thank UND for the opportunity, but announce you have weighed you options and are changing you commitment. No obligation to do this, but it is a character thing.

im sure the kid has some talent, or NDSU wouldn’t have offered him, and I’m sure he will do well in that program. Onto the next recruit.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Are we really going to resort to slamming NDSU’s education ? I don’t think it is really necessary to go there. Just makes our fan board sound like the jealous ex girlfriend. I work with several NDSU grads, they are fine people, intelligent, and good workers. Let’s stick to football