SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 UND Recruiting

UNDBIZ

1 hour ago, SkoHawks said:

So......Are we even going to try for a QB in this class or just pick up one last minute again?  Doesn't seem like I've read about much interest or offers for one.  Other than that and the fact I wish we had more commits at this point, I'm liking how the class is shaping up.  Always nice to get some local/in-state kids, grab a couple hogs for the OL, and Riviere was a really big get for us, and if I recall correctly was one of the first players we offered.

Doesn't help that UND's offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach is maybe the most incompetent coach on UND's staff. Frustrating ...

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Doesn't help that UND's offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach is maybe the most incompetent coach on UND's staff. Frustrating ...

So why doesn't Bubba change out the coordinator?  I can understand loyalty to a peer, but his loyalty to this guy could be his undoing as the head coach of the UND football team...Granted, the team needs to execute, but some of the play calling (e.g. Playoff game) was excruciating to watch.

22 minutes ago, BobIwabuchiFan said:

So why doesn't Bubba change out the coordinator?  I can understand loyalty to a peer, but his loyalty to this guy could be his undoing as the head coach of the UND football team...Granted, the team needs to execute, but some of the play calling (e.g. Playoff game) was excruciating to watch.

If we knew that then we could fix the problem.   It almost seems as if Bubba keeps Rudy around so he has a scapegoat to blame when things go bad.   I'm really starting to believe it.

• Upvote 1

Fair points above....but at least someone in the coaching staff has to have realized how bad it is for our program to not recruit QBs regularly...had to waste Studrud's first year, and then didn't seem to have any depth behind him when he got injured.  The school to the south seems to recruit highly touted QB's in every class, knowing the value of quality depth at the position.  I realize we probably aren't going to land a highly touted QB every year with our system, but I haven't even seen many offers for some either, at least this year.  Can't get any if you don't try.  Disclaimer: I will give credit to the staff for getting more transfer QBs in, our depth at QB is probably the best it's been with this coaching staff, but still we should be recruiting one quality QB and one RB every year, then we really only need to hit on them every 2-4 years.

18 hours ago, SkoHawks said:

Fair points above....but at least someone in the coaching staff has to have realized how bad it is for our program to not recruit QBs regularly...had to waste Studrud's first year, and then didn't seem to have any depth behind him when he got injured.  The school to the south seems to recruit highly touted QB's in every class, knowing the value of quality depth at the position.  I realize we probably aren't going to land a highly touted QB every year with our system, but I haven't even seen many offers for some either, at least this year.  Can't get any if you don't try.  Disclaimer: I will give credit to the staff for getting more transfer QBs in, our depth at QB is probably the best it's been with this coaching staff, but still we should be recruiting one quality QB and one RB every year, then we really only need to hit on them every 2-4 years.

The issue is that, in addition to not recruiting the position, the QB position is also not utilized correctly. The offense that Rudolph runs is very limiting to the quarterback position. It is run orientated, does not utilize a lot of spread formations or intermittent up tempo, doesn't have a screen game,  and perhaps over emphasizes the quarterback run.  All aspects that should have been played around with, especially last season. 

North Dakota State, in addition to also having an offensive line that can run block, caters to their quarterbacks through playcalling.  Don't get me wrong, the talent of their quarterbacks has also been really good. Jenson, Wentz, and now Stick are all very good quarterbacks.  UND needs to be looking out for that type of talent; even if you want to be a tough minded, physical  team, you have to have a competent quarterback. 

• Like 1

On 7/4/2018 at 3:12 PM, North Dakota said:

Bubba figured he would go there anyway so why bother.

On 7/4/2018 at 2:32 PM, Hawkster said:

I can't find anything that we even offered him.   ? ? ?

On 7/4/2018 at 3:12 PM, North Dakota said:

Bubba figured he would go there anyway so why bother.

You really think so? :whistling:

23 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Must be a bad year for LB's in MN. If you believe Gopherhole, there is exactly one D1 offer for LB's in the State of MN this year, and that is the one from UND to Navratil. 

So how many D1 offers are there for LBs in MN? 

1 hour ago, homer said:

So how many D1 offers are there for LBs in MN? 

Wow - I guess it is a weak year for MN LBs.  Payton Shafer was recruited by (and has verballed to) SDSU as a LB but he could also play safety.  I can't find any other offers.

UND football just landed its seventh commitment (third in-state) for the 2019 recruiting class. Luke Lennon, a 6-5, 210 TE from West Fargo and the nephew of legendary UND coach Dale Lennon, has verballed to the Fighting Hawks.

• Upvote 3

• UNDBIZ featured and unfeatured this topic