SiouxSports.com Forum

ND High School Hockey 2017-18

OgieOgilthorpe

10 hours ago, petey23 said:

Just leaving Scheels arena after the Davies v Red River game. Good game, not much separation between them.

Red River wins it in the 14th round of the shootout....yes 14th round.

Damn. That has to be a record or close to it. Davies has now lost both shootouts to the GF teams 

30 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

Damn. That has to be a record or close to it. Davies has now lost both shootouts to the GF teams 

I think the Central shootout went 8 rounds.

I was worried they were going to get to the backup goalies!:D

I think they need to adapt the rules in high school if they are going to use the shootout.

3 from each team and if not decided, then sudden death but after each team has used 5 shooters they need to allow them to re-use shooters.

Kunz was injured in first period(broke a couple teeth I heard) and I think he played a little after that but wasn't around for the shootout and Davies best shootout player(Stibbe) picked up a 5 minute major with about 7 minutes left in the game so he wasn't available.

Red River's first and 14th shooter scored and Davies 3rd shooter scored.

13 hours ago, petey23 said:

Just leaving Scheels arena after the Davies v Red River game. Good game, not much separation between them.

Red River wins it in the 14th round of the shootout....yes 14th round.

Surprised it was that tight. Think RR has a lot of seniors, must not be that good. 

Haven’t see the team play just speculating off stats. 

10 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Wahpeton/breck is 5-1 in their Minnesota schedule so far, outscoring their opponents 47-17. Tonight they got yoked on by Jamestown(5th in the west) 10-2. Like I always say...Minnesota always has 3x as many horrible hockey teams as they do elite teams. 

I was at the game. Aside from a couple decent players they are bad. I can’t imagine what the 5 teams they beat look like. 

11 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Grand forks central 3 Devils Lake 0 

Surprised that they played Central so tough after losing to West Fargo?  Did you see the game?  Their young defense and inexperienced goalie seem to be playing surprisingly well;  they've only given up more than 3 goals twice all season.

10 minutes ago, MoSiouxFan said:

Surprised that they played Central so tough after losing to West Fargo?  Did you see the game?  Their young defense and inexperienced goalie seem to be playing surprisingly well;  they've only given up more than 3 goals twice all season.

I did not see the game but it sounds like DL showed some fight and have themselves a gem of a goalie...as DL always seems to have. Central outshot them 19-4 in the final period which threw the SOG advantage nearly to 3 to 1.

Maybe their inexperience is causing them to be playing up and down to the competition. I think they'll keep improving as their young guys keep settling in. 

The same thing happened in this matchup last year when central went to DL. They had their closest game of their undeafted season in a one goal game where johnson was held pointless for the only time that entire season. 

5 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

I did not see the game but it sounds like DL showed some fight and have themselves a gem of a goalie...as DL always seems to have. Central outshot them 19-4 in the final period which threw the SOG advantage nearly to 3 to 1.

Maybe their inexperience is causing them to be playing up and down to the competition. I think they'll keep improving as their young guys keep settling in. 

The same thing happened in this matchup last year when central went to DL. They had their closest game of their undeafted season in a one goal game where johnson was held pointless for the only time that entire season. 

Agree.  A good second half gets them a fifth place seed and a winnable game against, undoubtedly, Grafton in the first round of the EDC.

1 hour ago, sioux rube said:

I was at the game. Aside from a couple decent players they are bad. I can’t imagine what the 5 teams they beat look like. 

Worthington and Fairmont are the two worst teams in the worst section in class A.  They are a combined 1-19 and the one win was Fairmont beating Worthington.

Bagley is 0-8, Red Lake Falls is 1-6 and their win was against Bagley. 

7 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Worthington and Fairmont are the two worst teams in the worst section in class A.  They are a combined 1-19 and the one win was Fairmont beating Worthington.

Bagley is 0-8, Red Lake Falls is 1-6 and their win was against Bagley. 

I grew up in Red Lake Falls and played hockey there. The high school team only has about 10 players this year and is terrible. 0 talent at all. Bantam team is solid and would beat the high school in running time this year easily.

Davies has some depth (not a lot of teams in ND hockey can say that) and that makes them a contender out east. I have seen Davies toy with some lesser teams this season. 

Let’s see what we learn from the holiday tournaments but at this point it looks like the two GF schools and Davies.  Nice to see Grafton has improved but there may be a drop-off between # 3 and  #4 in the EDC standings. 

12 minutes ago, GoalieMask said:

Davies has some depth (not a lot of teams in ND hockey can say that) and that makes them a contender out east. I have seen Davies toy with some lesser teams this season. 

Let’s see what we learn from the holiday tournaments but at this point it looks like the two GF schools and Davies.  Nice to see Grafton has improved but there may be a drop-off between # 3 and  #4 in the EDC standings. 

I think Century will drop 1 or maybe even both GF teams in the holiday tournament. I'm anxious to see how they match up.