SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 Season

shep

If the first 4 in the article play a lot, it will be incredible improvement. Not sold on Lawrence and Palmborg on the weak side as I like Turner better, but to have them all would be great. Also like to see what a Cam Hunt can do after a year of weights and knowledge of the D.

27 minutes ago, shep said:

Ketteringham, 

Z

Boltmann

So, based on those three we are forgoing a QB in this years class?    I can't believe there are any top notch QB's left out there that are uncommitted.    My hope is that this doesn't come back to bite us if, that is indeed the strategy.

11 hours ago, shep said:

If the first 4 in the article play a lot, it will be incredible improvement. Not sold on Lawrence and Palmborg on the weak side as I like Turner better, but to have them all would be great. Also like to see what a Cam Hunt can do after a year of weights and knowledge of the D.

Should be pretty solid two-deep at lb with a bunch more size and athleticism in the middle.  Should change the flow of the game a bunch if we can stop the run again and get to the qb consistently when blitzing. 

Anyone know if Rodgers is 100% recovered?  From the article it sounds as though Larson is recovered.

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Should be pretty solid two-deep at lb with a bunch more size and athleticism in the middle.  Should change the flow of the game a bunch if we can stop the run again and get to the qb consistently when blitzing. 

Anyone know if Rodgers is 100% recovered?  From the article it sounds as though Larson is recovered.

Not sure if this answers it about Rodgers, but I saw a Twitter post in which a group of UND players won an intramural BB league. Rodgers was in that pic.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, shep said:

Not sure if this answers it about Rodgers, but I saw a Twitter post in which a group of UND players won an intramural BB league. Rodgers was in that pic.

I was told by a member of the coaching staff over the weekend that Rodgers was still healing up - but he might have been healthy enough to play some BB. 

16 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

https://millersports.areavoices.com/2018/01/30/und-2018-position-by-position-linebackers/

Hopefully the Gopher transfer can be a player for us this fall.....is it August yet?

"Maybe the best news? My predictive two-deep at inside linebacker features four players who played a total of eight games for UND a year ago. Maybe that sounds strange as a positive, but I think it is considering the results."

Miller isn't breaking any news, but this is why I'm extremely optimistic that defensively, last year will be an abnormal blip for UND's defense. Thinking back to games like USD / Montana State where they could run up the middle at will. That won't happen this year.

Rankings are obviously subjective, but on a 1-10 scale (10 being the best), what's everyone's rankings for this team defensively:

2016: 7

2017: 3

2018: 7

Does anyone think they'll be back to how they were in 2016? Slightly worse? Slightly better?

31 minutes ago, AJS said:

"Maybe the best news? My predictive two-deep at inside linebacker features four players who played a total of eight games for UND a year ago. Maybe that sounds strange as a positive, but I think it is considering the results."

Miller isn't breaking any news, but this is why I'm extremely optimistic that defensively, last year will be an abnormal blip for UND's defense. Thinking back to games like USD / Montana State where they could run up the middle at will. That won't happen this year.

Rankings are obviously subjective, but on a 1-10 scale (10 being the best), what's everyone's rankings for this team defensively:

Does anyone think they'll be back to how they were in 2016? Slightly worse? Slightly better?

2018:  8    LB corp much better and much deeper.  Experienced DL with potentially excellent depth.  Harris hopefully back in the secondary, but either way, much greater depth in the secondary.

39 minutes ago, AJS said:

Depth and experience will be plus for us this year in places other than the DL.   I am saying 7 with potential for a 9 if Harris is 100% and the ILB can stop the run.

1 hour ago, AJS said:

If we stop the run, teams will torch us in the air.  All I see right now in the secondary is injuries and inexperience at safety.  I predict a 5.

Off topic and also not sure if this has been addressed here yet, but what is UND's official classification in regards to the Big Sky in football for the next 2 years?  We are playing a conference schedule, but can't win the autobid for winning the Big Sky.  Can we claim a Big Sky Championship if we go say 8-0 in "conference games"?  So we count as conference games for our opponents?  Also, are we considered a Big Sky team or are we technically an independent for 2 years.  Just wondering.

4 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Off topic and also not sure if this has been addressed here yet, but what is UND's official classification in regards to the Big Sky in football for the next 2 years?  We are playing a conference schedule, but can't win the autobid for winning the Big Sky.  Can we claim a Big Sky Championship if we go say 8-0 in "conference games"?  So we count as conference games for our opponents?  Also, are we considered a Big Sky team or are we technically an independent for 2 years.  Just wondering.

I we are independent so can't claim a championship.

Just now, SiouxFan100 said:

I was under the impression that our Defensive Line also didn't perform as well as expected last year. We all know the LBs situation. Wasn't there a cumulative effect of under performing DL along with all the injuries to our LBs?

If you can't stop the run, it has a huge cumulative effect on the whole defense.  The problems at ILB also affected the passing game, we couldn't get home on blitzes.  DB's  can look great if the QB is constantly running for his life and getting tagged.