SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 Season

shep

The secondary is in a good place right now. Holm has been the best player for UND so far this year, hands down. Blubaugh looks much improved which is to be expected. He was thrown to the fire last year, he had potential but you could very much tell he was a freshman. It gives me confidence in the D-backs coach to be able to get these young players to improve. It also gives me a bit more confidence in the strength training staff right now. I also like the improved strength of the offensive line. Last year they got pushed around, this year we're getting quite a bit more push. I don't think I've seen a QB sneak fail yet this year and that speaks volumes to the initial push of the center and guards. 

Another bright point for me has been the play of Noah Larson, he has been fantastic and it's easy to see why the coaches were so high on him even last year. Of course Mason Bennett is an absolute terror to opposing QB's, and I have so much respect for what Steve Greer is doing this year. He has been a beast in the middle of that defense. 

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I was very discouraged by Blublaugh’s play last season. Anyone who watched the games should’ve been concerned also.

He definitely has improved tons since then and is now playing great ball. His confidence is in a good place too. He isn’t a starter yet as Harris and Holm have those spots, so will still have to wait for his junior season to be really convinced, but he’s definitely on the right track. 

I think Blubaugh is the most improved player on the team.  He plays a better off man than Harris.  He tackles better than Harris.

Harris is the best man press guy we have, and he's a cold-blooded river boat gambler.....or at least he was with some of his past pick 6's.  I am not positive, but on the Montana jet sweep......Harris needs to keep this play inside.  That defensive play by UND was horsesh-t other than Holm running it down.

About Holm, he's are most consistent corner right now, as many have stated.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Feff said:

I don't think I've seen a QB sneak fail yet this year

Such a nice weapon to have in the arsenal.  I'm sure they'll be a team with a defensive line that it won't work against, but for now it keeps drives rolling and scores touchdowns.

On 10/14/2018 at 11:44 AM, Devils said:

I don't think Rudy is the best OC ever, but you guys would have been complaining if they had been aggressive when they were up 21-0 and had an int returned or a strip sack, etc.  Just the nature of fans that have to always find something negative.  

Now you're just playing devil's advocate

Was just wondering to myself how the freshman class is sitting with the number of games played so far, given the new redshirt rule.  So here's a list of how many games each have played (if they have).  Obviously we knew Hinders and Peterson weren't redshirting, and that there was a very high chance that Maag wouldn't be either.  Maybe if Mortel didn't get hurt we could've kept Waletzko's shirt in tact, but was probably getting pulled regardless, looks to be for sure now that he'll play in more than 4 games this year.  With the development of Blubaugh, the play of Holm and Harris, I'm hoping we can keep Odom's shirt in tact (as well as everyone else not mentioned yet).  If we need some Snaps, Odom could still play in one more game, plus Siegel could play 3 more, otherwise, some other upperclassmen can fill in when it's not Holm/Harris/Blubaugh out there.  (Got info from UND's stats page and it's possible there could be an error or two either by me or the page)

Ross Hinders LS 5-11 200 Fr. Johnston, Iowa / Johnston 6
Cade Peterson P 6-1 180 Fr. Kewaskum, Wis. / Kewaskum 6
Garett Maag WR 6-4 200 Fr. Inver Grove Heights, Minn. / St. Croix Lutheran 6
Jacob Odom DB 6-0 175 Fr. Wheaton, Ill. / Wheaton-Warrenville 3
Matt Waletzko OL 6-7 320 Fr. Cold Spring, Minn. / Rocori 3
Ted Mullin LB 6-1 195 Fr. Littleton, Colo. / Columbine 2
Jaelen Johnson DL 6-2 225 Fr. Greendale, Wis. / Greendale 2

Following 8 players have all played in just one game-

Caden White,  CJ Siegel , Mike Bruner , Kadon Kauppinen,

Otis Weah , Beau Foix , Griffin Lickfeldt , Noah Sickler

There are 8 true freshman who have yet to play.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, SkoHawks said:

Was just wondering to myself how the freshman class is sitting with the number of games played so far, given the new redshirt rule.  So here's a list of how many games each have played (if they have).  Obviously we knew Hinders and Peterson weren't redshirting, and that there was a very high chance that Maag wouldn't be either.  Maybe if Mortel didn't get hurt we could've kept Waletzko's shirt in tact, but was probably getting pulled regardless, looks to be for sure now that he'll play in more than 4 games this year.  With the development of Blubaugh, the play of Holm and Harris, I'm hoping we can keep Odom's shirt in tact (as well as everyone else not mentioned yet).  If we need some Snaps, Odom could still play in one more game, plus Siegel could play 3 more, otherwise, some other upperclassmen can fill in when it's not Holm/Harris/Blubaugh out there.  (Got info from UND's stats page and it's possible there could be an error or two either by me or the page)

Ross Hinders LS 5-11 200 Fr. Johnston, Iowa / Johnston 6
Cade Peterson P 6-1 180 Fr. Kewaskum, Wis. / Kewaskum 6
Garett Maag WR 6-4 200 Fr. Inver Grove Heights, Minn. / St. Croix Lutheran 6
Jacob Odom DB 6-0 175 Fr. Wheaton, Ill. / Wheaton-Warrenville 3
Matt Waletzko OL 6-7 320 Fr. Cold Spring, Minn. / Rocori 3
Ted Mullin LB 6-1 195 Fr. Littleton, Colo. / Columbine 2
Jaelen Johnson DL 6-2 225 Fr. Greendale, Wis. / Greendale 2

Following 8 players have all played in just one game-

Caden White,  CJ Siegel , Mike Bruner , Kadon Kauppinen,

Otis Weah , Beau Foix , Griffin Lickfeldt , Noah Sickler

There are 8 true freshman who have yet to play.

Thanks for checking into this.  Good info.  Hopefully we can save most of these shirts and give them 4 games experience.  Montana was a good team for some of them to get their feet wet.

13 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Thanks for checking into this.  Good info.  Hopefully we can save most of these shirts and give them 4 games experience.  Montana was a good team for some of them to get their feet wet.

Yes, great info. With Odom not dressing against Montana, my guess is they are indeed trying to keep his shirt intact. If the CB position stays mostly healthy, I like now using Siegel for 4 and then give Odom another game. Would be huge to not use Odom's.

Edit: I thought Waletzko's was going to be pulled for sure, but appears he didn't play against Montana. That would be another one that would be huge if kept his intact.

5 hours ago, Feff said:

The secondary is in a good place right now. Holm has been the best player for UND so far this year, hands down. Blubaugh looks much improved which is to be expected. He was thrown to the fire last year, he had potential but you could very much tell he was a freshman. It gives me confidence in the D-backs coach to be able to get these young players to improve. It also gives me a bit more confidence in the strength training staff right now. I also like the improved strength of the offensive line. Last year they got pushed around, this year we're getting quite a bit more push. I don't think I've seen a QB sneak fail yet this year and that speaks volumes to the initial push of the center and guards. 

Another bright point for me has been the play of Noah Larson, he has been fantastic and it's easy to see why the coaches were so high on him even last year. Of course Mason Bennett is an absolute terror to opposing QB's, and I have so much respect for what Steve Greer is doing this year. He has been a beast in the middle of that defense. 

Our D backs and linebackers were all over their recievers all game and making tackles on first contact.  Greer had another good game like he has had all year dispite limited reps.  Notice how he laid out and cuffed the QB's ankles on his sack and popped right back up on his feet.  Pretty athletic for 320 lbs.  He should be getting the majority of the reps at NG until and unless something changes.

6 hours ago, Feff said:

This team is getting better fast.  Third play of the game reminded me so much of 2016.  Harris got the pick and nice return after Larson crushed the qb as he threw.  Defense is really solid, creating turnovers and the offense is using weapons. Could end up being a season to remember. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Midwestern Hawk said:

This team is getting better fast.  Third play of the game reminded me so much of 2016.  Harris got the pick and nice return after Larson crushed the qb as he threw.  Defense is really solid, creating turnovers and the offense is using weapons. Could end up being a season to remember. 

I am still in somewhat of a wait and see mode with this team, but I kind of feel the same. Just keep getting better week in and week out and we'll have a second chance in the playoffs.

40 minutes ago, ep92501 said:

Our D backs and linebackers were all over their recievers all game and making tackles on first contact.  Greer had another good game like he has had all year dispite limited reps.  Notice how he laid out and cuffed the QB's ankles on his sack and popped right back up on his feet.  Pretty athletic for 320 lbs.  He should be getting the majority of the reps at NG until and unless something changes.

I purposely watched Greer as much as I could, and while he's a nice player, I did not see him get off the line real well and while he got in on a sack it was forced by someone else. I think he's playing well, but so is Tank.

7 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

This is the type of play I want to see more of with Santiago. So many options for us and so much to worry about for them.

That would be a good one.  Also I forget which team used the diamond formation on an extra point.  The defense could adjust.  If the defense moves players to cover the diamond, Nate keeps it and runs in on touched.

2 hours ago, Cratter said:

https://undfootball360.com/news/und-defense-loses-their-captain/

How many more injuries can this team sustain before the season turns?

Guy was leading the team in tackles. UND might not be the same team anymore.

He was tied for the team lead so it’s not like Montana losing the guy with 100 tackles production wise. However, he was a huge piece of our success because of his speed and coverage ability.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

He was tied for the team lead so it’s not like Montana losing the guy with 100 tackles production wise. However, he was a huge piece of our success because of his speed and coverage ability.

And brain. The guy always knew where to be on every play.