SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 Season

shep

22 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Let's stop creaming our pants about Montana, we could not have played any worse our last few meetings and barring major injuries in our bye week we will be healthy.  I swear half our posters man crush on the Griz.  We better win this frickin game!!

Amen!!!

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

As long as the OL and LBs stay healthy, I think UND will beat everyone left on the schedule other than Weber St. in a close one. If the Montana game was in Missoula I would probably count that as an L, but I think UND will run all over them, which will open up the pass game and they'll pass all over them too. They need to get these penalties figured out asap but It's so nice that UND has depth at QB, RB, DL and WR this year. 

Idaho State is a good team that UND played poorly against and still almost beat. I have more confidence in them after the beat down they laid this past weekend in spite of all the penalties. 

If UND really wants to jump up in the polls, Weber State in the Alerus Center would be the game to win. 

Win out I say ...

9-2 would look nice. 

Montana next up though. One game at a time.

https://undfootball360.com/news/und-football-mid-season-evaluation/

UND Rushing Offense.  The offensive line has played above expectations considering the injuries that have taken place within that unit.  It has been a revolving door at the two tackle positions but somehow they have stayed fairly consistent.  LT Bennett Helgren has settled in and played fairly well in place of the injured starter Noah Mortel, who is done for the year with a back injury.  The RT position has been manned by freshman Matt Waletzko, who missed 2 games due to injury but will be back, Nate Nguon, who missed the first three games due to injury but is starting now, and Sean Russo.  What does that tell us?  That the interior three lineman have been pretty darn good.  LG Ryan Tobin, C Patric Rooney, & RG Grant Aplin have been the steady force behind the running game that is churning out 247 yards/game, which would be 3rd in the Big Sky and 14th nationally.  I like the way this unit is playing right now.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Also:

Pass Protection.  The aforementioned offensive line/tight end group has been able to keep QB Nate Ketteringham upright for the majority of the season.  They have only allowed 6 sacks on the season in 146 attempts.  The slow-developing play-action game that UND likes to use has had time to formulate due to the play of the lineman and tight ends.

1 hour ago, Ozzie82 said:

Also:

Pass Protection.  The aforementioned offensive line/tight end group has been able to keep QB Nate Ketteringham upright for the majority of the season.  They have only allowed 6 sacks on the season in 146 attempts.  The slow-developing play-action game that UND likes to use has had time to formulate due to the play of the lineman and tight ends.

The OL have definitely stepped up this year, especially considering the injuries.  if you told me 1 or 2 OL starters would be out every game through 5 games, I would have thought we would have been screwed.  Sucks Nortel is out for the year but hopefully with the Bye week the rest can heal up and play, and stay mostly healthy the rest of the way.  Since still some young guys on there, particularly the true freshman, hopefully they only continue to improve even more throughout the year.  Great job so far though OL! 

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

I believe they went away from doing school specific shows but now have a daily show covering all the local teams. There is Midco produced mini series called Day by Day though. 

Oh I’m sure UND hockey will have a specific show because, well, Grand Forks and this region is screwed up when to comes to priorities.

• Downvote 1

Looking at the first 5 games ....defensively it’s been a roller coaster , offensively it's been what Ive expected....frustrating ,  ST is what I expected as well...inexperienced 

overall grade of opposing team 

mvsu : F   ( 0-3)

wash: A+

sam: C     (2-2)

Idaho st: C+

n colo: D    (0-5) 

unds 3 wins...the teams have a combined 2-10 record  

game 1 -    I remarked in the post game , outside of Brady,  I was not impressed at all. This is the team that is widely considered the worst fcs team.   The game should have been over in the 1st qtr  just like every other mvsu game.  

Defense grade D

offense grade. F  

Game 2:  The D stepped up and played a fantastic 3 qtrs against a fantastic team.....ran out of gas in the fourth.   This offense (oc) has a tough time against an average fcs team... this was a top 10 fbs team. 

Defense grade A- 

offense grade D ( Santiago - A) 

Game 3 :  The D played a good game. In hindsight ....Sams offense has been average.  They are not built like the past years. Und held them to their averages.   In the 1st half, as has been the case this year,  the offense was able to move the ball only to be outdone by the opposing DC in the 2nd half.  Good road win 

Defense grade : B 

offense grade:  D  

Game 4:  the D was absolutely shredded in the first half.  The offensive play calling was fantastic for a qtr and half ....then the fumble.  The 2nd half....the D made adjustments and the offense did not. Horrible 2nd half showing by the offense 

Defense grade:  D

offensive grade :  D 

game 5:   A good showing against a winless team.    2nd half offense was same ol same ol.   ST group hopefully gaining confidence 

Defense grade:  A

offense grade:  B 

As I mentioned at the top ...the D has been a roller coaster but light years ahead of last year.  They need to shore up the run D however.   They have been getting exposed up front recently. Full confidence in this group to get it done.  

The offense.....I have continuously stated my frustrations with the OC.   The talent is there to be much better then what we have been witnessing.   They have the ability to play like the qtr and half that they did vs Idaho st ....against all but one fcs team they have scheduled this year.  Weber is tough but no other team is known for defense.  

• Upvote 1

Say what you want about the offense coordinator, but defenses will have to start playing us differennt than in the past with the passing yards Ken is putting up and the deep shots he is taking.  It should only continue to soften the d a bit more for our running game.  

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, ND1 said:

Say what you want about the offense coordinator, but defenses will have to start playing us differennt than in the past with the passing yards Ken is putting up and the deep shots he is taking.  It should only continue to soften the d a bit more for our running game.  

Offense is still designed basic, but you’re absolutely right; Kettingham’s ability to throw and hit the deep ball will absolutely revolutionize the UND offense. 

Rudolph just needs to keep calling those plays. 

#1 offensive play call improvement I saw: deep pass plays called right after turnovers. Hit ‘em when it hurts! Love that aggressiveness ... as a result, UND football finially delivers a big time blow out win!! 

Key is still forcing turnovers though. Don’t overlook that. Forcing turnovers wins games. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Offense is still designed basic, but you’re absolutely right; Kettingham’s ability to throw and hit the deep ball will absolutely revolutionize the UND offense. 

Rudolph just needs to keep calling those plays. 

#1 offensive play call improvement I saw: deep pass plays called right after turnovers. Hit ‘em when it hurts! Love that aggressiveness ... as a result, UND football finially delivers a big time blow out win!! 

Key is still forcing turnovers though. Don’t overlook that. Forcing turnovers wins games. 

And yet we still had stretches in the second quarter where he was not as aggressive as he should have been. And again, 0 third quarter points is a joke.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, homer said:

We had two possessions in the third and one was picked in the end zone.  That play was wide open and if the players execute better it’s an easy score.  That was not on the O cord.  He called a good game yesterday.  

He had his characteristic lulls in playcalling. He always throws in some questionable series and against really good teams it costs us.

7 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

He had his characteristic lulls in playcalling. He always throws in some questionable series and against really good teams it costs us.

When the game was competitive yesterday there was nothing conservative in his play calling.  Even the third quarter when we punted he ran a play on third and short and had two guys open for a first, just needed a little better throw.  

6 minutes ago, homer said:

When the game was competitive yesterday there was nothing conservative in his play calling.  Even the third quarter when we punted he ran a play on third and short and had two guys open for a first, just needed a little better throw.  

After we got up 21-0 there was a noticible change then it went back to being aggressive. We punted three times in a row after going up 21-0. Then we got more aggressive again.

• Upvote 1