SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 Season

shep

13 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Check midco sports youtube page.

Thanks.  Although wish it was 1993 ish again where the football team had a it's own dedicated 30 minute show each week during the season.  Looked forward to watching that every Sunday night.  

6 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Anybody have a link to the weekly UND sports show or whatever it is?  Is there still such a thing?  

Midco produces a weeknight show called "Midco Sports Tonight" that discusses topics that Midco covers; essentially Midco's version of Sportscenter, but solely focused on their broadcast rights.  It airs at 6:30 pm.  On Monday night (first show following Saturdays football games), UND beating Sam Houston State was the top story.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Craig Haley's first FCS playoff bracket prediction.  Potential tasty matchup in the second round!!

bracket.JPG

That would be the ultimate way to end the regular season. I think if this team stays healthy we can give any team a run for their money. Let’s make the post season and play like we are using house money.

Sam Houston State? According to some geniuses once UND beat them they are obviously not playoff caliber. 4 Big Sky Schools (5 if you count UND) and only 3 from Summit - oh the indignation! The fact it's only week 3 and some will go ballistic on him makes it all the funnier. 

Serious note, energy from the fan base is ramping up. A good win can do this and a good loss can also  

The participation on this weeks message board is intoxicating.

I hope this continues through the season. I think the team and coaches deserve that. 

Not knocking constructive criticism, it has great value also. 

• Upvote 1

Jaelen Johnson is a name und fans should keep an eye on. Attended a few a practices and he definitely has the look and ability just a tad underweight.  Has great feet and positioning.  With it sounding like zeke will be out (damnit.....damnit!) I think Jaelen will get some time.  Not sure if the coaches will pull his shirt ....maybe play him the four games and  keep him shirted ?  Regardless...the kid has talent. 

9 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Jaelen Johnson is a name und fans should keep an eye on. Attended a few a practices and he definitely has the look and ability just a tad underweight.  Has great feet and positioning.  With it sounding like zeke will be out (damnit.....damnit!) I think Jaelen will get some time.  Not sure the coaches will pull his shirt ....maybe play him the four games and  keep him shirted ?  Regardless...the kid has talent. 

Love to hear things like this, I go back and forth with wanting / not wanting a red shirt pulled. Personally, there needs to be two things (1) Significant playing time (2) Significant upgrade over another option. Like everyone else I love the new four game rule, I hope he sees time in four games and they keep his red shirt. The ship has sailed with Maag, Odom and Waltetzko, but with Waltetzko, I'm hoping for more time from Russo and possibly keeping his shirt intact (now that he's injured until after the bye). I know that's a long shot, but anyone who can play well his true freshman year and is a borderline starter, you know he'd be a monster his 5th year. 

29 minutes ago, AJS said:

Love to hear things like this, I go back and forth with wanting / not wanting a red shirt pulled. Personally, there needs to be two things (1) Significant playing time (2) Significant upgrade over another option. Like everyone else I love the new four game rule, I hope he sees time in four games and they keep his red shirt. The ship has sailed with Maag, Odom and Waltetzko, but with Waltetzko, I'm hoping for more time from Russo and possibly keeping his shirt intact (now that he's injured until after the bye). I know that's a long shot, but anyone who can play well his true freshman year and is a borderline starter, you know he'd be a monster his 5th year. 

Technically the shipped hasn’t sails on any of them as we are closing in on game four.   But yeah .....I’m with you.  If the kid is talented to make a difference....he should be playing.  If he plays sparingly ....shirt him....aka Izzy last year. If crazy talented ...aka Santiago and Grady...pull the shirt.  

As crazy as it sounds I would love to see the day when a superb talent was not be able to start or play significant minutes until at least his sophomore year.  Reason being.......there is superb talent in front of him.     #quality depth.  

8 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Technically the shipped hasn’t sails on any of them as we are closing in on game four.   But yeah .....I’m with you.  If the kid is talented to make a difference....he should be playing.  If he plays sparingly ....shirt him....aka Izzy last year. If crazy talented ...aka Santiago and Grady...pull the shirt.  

As crazy as it sounds I would love to see the day when a superb talent was not be able to start or play significant minutes until at least his sophomore year.  Reason being.......there is superb talent in front of him.     #quality depth.  

If we can build the kind of depth where kids don't play until they're a sophomore or redshirt sophomore I would be thrilled. 

6 minutes ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

If we can build the kind of depth where kids don't play until they're a sophomore or redshirt sophomore I would be thrilled. 

As much as I hate to use them in any positive way ...absolutely  pains me....but how is possible that a #2 pick and would of been nfl MVP in his second nfl year couldn’t start at NDSU until his junior year?  That is insane!  They have built something incredible.  No way he waits to start until his junior year to start  in 90% of the fbs programs.  But if they are able to do it why can’t any othe fcs program?  ...and that includes und. That’s where I would love to see und.  

On 8/17/2018 at 8:03 AM, Longtime fan said:

If the opposing team has an average to decent D the DCs would have to watch maybe two games of unds O to “get it” and damper most anything und tries. Against und , the safeties are just 2 extra LBs.  Since und doesn’t use its TEs and the WRs are unable to get separation, allowing the CBs to man up....the safeties essentially become LBs and hug the scrimmage.   No way unds o line has a chance to block that many bodies.  

So far in Rudy ball.....und stuck with a qb that couldn’t throw and was mostly injured , WRs that can’t get separation, TEs not used, powering up the gut with a 175 lb against essentially a 9 man front.   No game plan.   No in game adjustments.  Not able or willing  to use the strength of his players. 

I have a 4-7 prediction for this year maybe 5-6 with a sac st win but I solely lay at least 3-4 losses on Rudy. No question. The talent is there to be better then what they will show.   There is nothing the suggests he is capable of running a competent offense and for the life of me I don’t understand what  bubba sees that warrants Rudy being a D1 OC. 

With what I believe could be a very good year....my pessimism is at full throttle and it starts with Rudy and ends with Rudy.  

Sticking with my August 17th post 

• Upvote 1

This is not just on Rudy. Rudy is running the offense Bubba wants, or he would have been replaced 2 or 3 years ago. This is a case of the blame rising to the top. Nice guy or not, Bubba is not a DI head coach. He couldn't get UMD the natty that Bob Nielsen got 2 years in a row., and that was DII. After the lack of offense in the second half, 5 punts in a row (sorry, punting is not trying to score) major changes need to be made. It's time to give Zimmerman a chance. Schmidt needs to see that Harris is not the ball hawk he was 2 years ago, or maybe he just got lucky taking chance back then, but the secondary has always been suspect under this staff. The Defense giving up 350 yards in the first half, and as someone in another post said, giving up 80 yards in 3 plays - the same 3 plays. The blame doesn't just go on Rudy... Bubba needs to get a mean streak, whether it's with his staff or the opposing team... Something needs to change at the top.

Bubba's big brother may have too much say with Faison, but maybe Chaves has a mind of his own. It's time for the #gobc to step aside.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Is it the caliber of the win at the time the game is played or is history rewritten at the end of the season? 

I guess it depends.  

When it’s UND vs Sam Houston State, we base the caliber of the win on past performance and pre-season rankings.  

When it’s NDSU vs Iowa or Kansas State, we belittle the caliber of the win because of the end of season records.  

Whatever fits the narrative, I guess. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, AJS said:

Sitting at 2-2 going into week 5, the season isn't over, but there is also no room for error. I want this team to treat the rest of the year like every game's a playoff game. Just win, starting next week at NoCO.

I would love it if they played every minute of every game every year like it’s a playoff game.....aggressive with a killer instinct.  

• Upvote 2

Und has scored a WHOPPING 24 points in the second half this year. Average of 6 points!?!?!  Complete trash!  Mvsu , Sam and Idaho st will NEVER EVER be known as a top 100 D.  Opposing DCs on less than average teams making adjustments....Rudy doing Rudy things ....which is absolutely nothing!  How the hell does bubba keeps this loaf of bread around!?  I praised Rudy for a fantastic called 1st qtr..... then the fumble happened . He went face first back to page 1 and conservative so in his mind ....”to keep und from losing by much” ..”keep it close”.  So sick of this !@#$.   Keep the throttle down !!!  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

I would love it if they played every minute of every game every year like it’s a playoff game.....aggressive with a killer instinct.  

Did you watch our last playoff game?  - I never want to see a repeat of that.  Killer instinct my a**.