SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 Season

shep

10 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Any new rules this year?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/new-ncaa-rule-turns-any-fair-catch-inside-the-25-yard-line-on-a-kickoff-into-a-touchback/

Biggest change is for a kickoff, any fair catch made betwwn the goal line and the 25 yd line will be treated as a touchback.  Not a big fan of this as it takes away the kickers ability to directionally kick and pin the offence deep in the zone.  But that's the way things are going in football these days at all levels.  Take away the hitting.  Soon kickoffs will be removed from the game of football and possession will just start on the 25.

18 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/new-ncaa-rule-turns-any-fair-catch-inside-the-25-yard-line-on-a-kickoff-into-a-touchback/

Biggest change is for a kickoff, any fair catch made betwwn the goal line and the 25 yd line will be treated as a touchback.  Not a big fan of this as it takes away the kickers ability to directionally kick and pin the offence deep in the zone.  But that's the way things are going in football these days at all levels.  Take away the hitting.  Soon kickoffs will be removed from the game of football and possession will just start on the 25.

Lame.

I hope teams poo poo this and still return the ball.  Do we have a kick returner or a kick catcher, this rule sucks!!

A rule I do like is offense can't block below the waist downfield.  I think that's been in place for a while down the field but in the 90's, 30 yards down the field an offensive guy could cut/dive at your knees/ankles at anytime.  It was brutal taking a cut from a guy with that much run at it.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Lame.

I hope teams poo poo this and still return the ball.  Do we have a kick returner or a kick catcher, this rule sucks!!

A rule I do like is offense can't block below the waist downfield.  I think that's been in place for a while down the field but in the 90's, 30 yards down the field an offensive guy could cut/dive at your knees/ankles at anytime.  It was brutal taking a cut from a guy with that much run at it.

I don't think it is going to happen as much as people think.  Returners want to get the ball and take it to the house.  I don't think you will see Santiago taking advantage of this rule too often.  

2 hours ago, GoHawks said:

I am super excited for the season, but that is a dose of reality.  Our OL will once again be a work in progress this year, I mean we all knew that and was our biggest concern but just reminds us the reality of it.  Stinks that Nguon won't be ready for Sam Houston.  I guess the only bright side of that is that other guys will get more game reps.  Please injury gods.....keep our OL healthy the rest of the year!!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

What nickel thing?

NICKEL TROPHY
The historic Nickel Trophy will be displayed out at tailgating and in game on the concourse of the Alerus Center during the first three home football games. Fans will have the opportunity to view and take pictures with the notable heirloom from North Dakota's history.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

NICKEL TROPHY
The historic Nickel Trophy will be displayed out at tailgating and in game on the concourse of the Alerus Center during the first three home football games. Fans will have the opportunity to view and take pictures with the notable heirloom from North Dakota's history.

I like the idea

• Upvote 4