SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 Season

shep

7 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

Was at practice today......just a little bit concerned that Santiago and JJ aren’t padded up.  It’s been like that awhile from the sound of it.  By the way they both walk, stretch and hold their hip area I assume it’s the groin.  If so they can linger all year.  

#Hamstrings

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

Was at practice today......just a little bit concerned that Santiago and JJ aren’t padded up.  It’s been like that awhile from the sound of it.  By the way they both walk, stretch and hold their hip area I assume it’s the groin.  If so they can linger all year.  

That totally sucks...as yeah they do tend to linger.  Would it be tempting to just keep them out of the first game and let them rest as much as possible to let it healed better? 

15 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

That totally sucks...as yeah they do tend to linger.  Would it be tempting to just keep them out of the first game and let them rest as much as possible to let it healed better? 

For sure. All you can do for now is rest them up and get the younger guys some more reps.

23 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Absolutely. It’s nice to knock the rust off but as everyone knows, hammys linger and can ruin an entire season of not allowed to fully heal. 

25 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

and if needed the 2nd game against Washington... Because lets face we have about the same chance of beating them as the Delta Devils have beating us. 

48 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Guess I disagree with most of this. The write-ups are what they are supposed to be: short, high-level updates on practice. Yesterday they touched on the QB race with a video interview with Rudolph, so there was a bit more content with that. They intentionally aren't going to go in-depth or speculate on a lot of the things fans want to know, that would actually be a bit crazy. For comparison, NDSU hasn't had a single write-up on their own website yet. Yes, they are in a different spot and don't need to "promote" their team, but they literally haven't posted on fall camp on their website, the only thing I've seen on their fall camp is a few short clips on Twitter.

Hoping to see some of this Midco show we've been hearing about sooner than later.

UNDFB360 continues to do great things and can provide a little more "insight" and speculation than traditional media can.

The Herald has had 8 articles on the football team since camp started, so almost daily. Majority of them aren't really daily practice updates on position battles, etc, but they are at least putting some stuff out there. Obviously the majority here (including myself) would like to see a bit more but looking it up, it was more than I thought.

Fair enough, maybe I'm just too anxious for football, and can't get enough content.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The closer we get to this season, the more optimistic I have become.

Official prediction: 8 - 3

• Mississippi Valley State - W
  • Washington - L
  • Sam Houston - W
  • Idaho State - W
  • Northern Colorado - W
  • Montana - W
  • Sacramento - W
  • Weber - W
  • Idaho - L
  • Portland State - W
  • Northern Arizona - L

1 hour ago, Sioux94 said:

It sounds like Maag is the real deal and a stud.  Was there a lot of hype around him during recruiting, I don't remember.  

I think some with good football knowledge thinking Maag would be a steal.  I was at practice on Sunday.  I watch him on some of the drills.  He has real soft hands and velcro.  The ball sticks to his hands.  Oh by the way.  I saw Tom Miller watching practice as well.

14 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

I think some with good football knowledge thinking Maag would be a steal.  I was at practice on Sunday.  I watch him on some of the drills.  He has real soft hands and velcro.  The ball sticks to his hands.  Oh by the way.  I saw Tom Miller watching practice as well.

How does he run? Seemed to run well on film.

5 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

How does he run? Seemed to run well on film.

I couldn't stay for the 11 on 11.  He did make some nice catches in traffic during the drills.  It will not be easy to defend the pass near the end with the height of WR and TE.  

3 hours ago, nodak651 said:

• Washington - L
  • Sam Houston - W
  • Idaho State - W
  • Northern Colorado - W
  • Montana - W
  • Sacramento - W
  • Weber - W
  • Idaho - L
  • Portland State - W
  • Northern Arizona - L

I believe it but we just need to stay healthy in leaner depth positions. There is so much talent on this team they just need to put it on the field. I can’t wait for Sam Houston as it will be a great measuring stick on the future of our young talent.

I don't want to be "that guy" but at this point last year, we were all looking forward to the SD game as that would be the measuring stick. 

Sure didn't like how we measured up, but the SH game has the same feel to it. I'm hopeful things go better this year.

4 hours ago, shep said:

I don't want to be "that guy" but at this point last year, we were all looking forward to the SD game as that would be the measuring stick. 

Sure didn't like how we measured up, but the SH game has the same feel to it. I'm hopeful things go better this year.

What happened against SD last year...….that has not even entered my mind as a possibility.  Not that it's not a possibility....I just don't think that is going to happen this year.  It's possible they make a bunch of big pass plays and maybe hang 20 on us if things go wrong and we play poorly, but to get completely demoralized in the game.....god I sure hope not, and I don't think it will.  I'm not sure what the mindset of the team was going into the game last year, honestly I remembered not feeling all that great about it.....but I didn't think we'd get blown out like that.  This year I think the team's mindset will be that they have something to prove, let's hope they do. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, nodak651 said:

• Washington - L
  • Sam Houston - W
  • Idaho State - W
  • Northern Colorado - W
  • Montana - W
  • Sacramento - W
  • Weber - W
  • Idaho - L
  • Portland State - W
  • Northern Arizona - L

Idaho is NOT better than Sam Houston. If UND can get a win versus Sam Houston, then the Idaho game should also be a win.

Also, a loss versus Northern Arizona? Maybe with injuries late in the season I could see loss of progress. 

Looking at the positions and quality depth (solid 2-deep), would this be fair:

Set

QB, RB, TE, WR, ILB, CB

Concerns

O-Line, D-Line, OLB, Safety

To break down the concerns (biggest to smallest):

O-Line: Biggest concern right now, considering the question on the right side of the line. Very, very young group.

Safety: Along with O-Line, this has been the other position of concern for a while now.

OLB: Palmberg, Turner and Lawrence is a good start, but worried about Gordon being on the 2-deep

D-Line: Best "starters" out of the concerns, the depth is young, but talented

12 minutes ago, AJS said:

Set

QB, RB, TE, WR, ILB, CB

Concerns

O-Line: Biggest concern right now, considering the question on the right side of the line. Very, very young group.

Safety: Along with O-Line, this has been the other position of concern for a while now.

OLB: Palmberg, Turner and Lawrence is a good start, but worried about Gordon being on the 2-deep

Where is the updated two deep? 

19 hours ago, nodak651 said:

• Washington - L
  • Sam Houston - W
  • Idaho State - W
  • Northern Colorado - W
  • Montana - W
  • Sacramento - W
  • Weber - W
  • Idaho - L
  • Portland State - W
  • Northern Arizona - L

I have 8-3 too. 

• Washington - L
  • Sam Houston - L
  • Idaho State - W
  • Northern Colorado - W
  • Montana - L
  • Sacramento - W
  • Weber - W
  • Idaho - W
  • Portland State - W
  • Northern Arizona - W

54 minutes ago, AJS said:

Set

QB, RB, TE, WR, ILB, CB

Concerns

Agree with OLB.  Ray Haas would have looked good in a uni this year and rounded out that group nicely.  

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Set

QB, RB, TE, WR, ILB, CB

Concerns

Just for the sake of conversation and to dig even further into my list of concerns: My hope for fall camp at a minimum would be for the following to emerge.

O-Line: Feel fine with Mortel, Tobin, Rooney, Aplin & Nguon. Need at a minimum one guard and one tackle to emerge as a real quality depth player,

Safety: Need Lenny / Canady to be the guys and adequate starters. At a minimum one quality back up.

OLB: Need one guy to be a solid 4th (after Palmberg, Turner, Lawrence)

D-Line: Need two of the freshman to be ready from Day 1