SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 Season

shep

I love the optimism and understand we were depleted last year but man some of these predictions seem outrageous. I sure hope I’m wrong and maybe Ketteringham will be that big of an upgrade to help lead us. Hopefully our D can get back on the level we were played two and three years ago. Will be interesting on the safety position plays out along with the return of Deion at corner. 

3 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I love the optimism and understand we were depleted last year but man some of these predictions seem outrageous. I sure hope I’m wrong and maybe Ketteringham will be that big of an upgrade to help lead us. Hopefully our D can get back on the level we were played two and three years ago. Will be interesting on the safety position plays out along with the return of Deion at corner. 

Honestly, 2 and 3 years ago our defense wasn't even that good. We still have yet to yield fewer than 20pts/gm under Bubba. I want to see us get down to around 18/gm. That'll be tough considering we play Washington this year but I think that should be the goal for the rest of the games on the schedule. 

• Upvote 1

A 1% chance of winning at Sam Houston is simply not credible.  Even their fan base is questioning whether they would be on top of the Southland.  The Southland has some weak weak teams.  For us, a Sam Houston win would greatly elevate our playoff chances.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

A 1% chance of winning at Sam Houston is simply not credible.  Even their fan base is questioning whether they would be on top of the Southland.  The Southland has some weak weak teams.  For us, a Sam Houston win would greatly elevate our playoff chances.

Yep.  I'm going to be in Huntsville to watch UND crush them.  Anyone else making that trip?

34 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Completely agree. If we are giving UND a mere 1% chance versus a fellow FCS opponent, then UND will NOT be good enough to make the playoffs this season: 4-7 or 5-6 record this season.

I think UND has a 40% or so chance to beat Sam Houston; all comes down to UND's ability to pressure the QB and play deep-ball pass defense. Last season they couldn't play the deep ball to save their life, so that needs to improve in 2018 for UND to win the game. My record prediction is currently 6-5 with no playoffs, unfortunately. UND's pass defense and pass offense concerns me too much; I would love to be surprised, though. 

5 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Completely agree. If we are giving UND a mere 1% chance versus a fellow FCS opponent, then UND will NOT be good enough to make the playoffs this season: 4-7 or 5-6 record this season.

I think UND has a 40% or so chance to beat Sam Houston; all comes down to UND's ability to pressure the QB and play deep-ball pass defense. Last season they couldn't play the deep ball to save their life, so that needs to improve in 2018 for UND to win the game. My record prediction is currently 6-5 with no playoffs, unfortunately. UND's pass defense and pass offense concerns me too much; I would love to be surprised, though. 

Beating Sam Houston come down to beating them up. They have the skill to beat anyone but they are a soft program. They went full fetal position when NDSU repeated punched them in the face last year.

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Beating Sam Houston come down to beating them up. They have the skill to beat anyone but they are a soft program. They went full fetal position when NDSU repeated punched them in the face last year.

I almost wouldn't have minded playing them the first game since their QB is new, get them before they work out the kinks.  Maybe rattle him early in the game.  Granted we have a new QB too, but he has started FCS games before and we aren't as reliant as much on a passing game.  I guess on bright side hopefully our OL will get two games to figure things out so we can pound the rock successfully.  Washington I'm sure will be super physical, but will be good experience for our OL.....I hope. 

1 minute ago, Sioux94 said:

I almost wouldn't have minded playing them the first game since their QB is new, get them before they work out the kinks.  Maybe rattle him early in the game.  Granted we have a new QB too, but he has started FCS games before and we aren't as reliant as much on a passing game.  I guess on bright side hopefully our OL will get two games to figure things out so we can pound the rock successfully.  Washington I'm sure will be super physical, but will be good experience for our OL.....I hope. 

As long as we can figure out the RT spot. Seems like Nguon will be the guy but really he’s more of a guard.

5 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

As long as we can figure out the RT spot. Seems like Nguon will be the guy but really he’s more of a guard.

Saw Nguon the other day in a walking boot  How long is he out ?

7 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I have them 6-5 as well.  Rudy’s incompetence is directly credited for 3 of those. 

If und can implement toughness and the secondary is prepared .... the Sam Houston game is a very winnable game.  On the flip side ....if und is weak on the d front and is not getting to their qb and the secondary is average  .....they will get blown out of the water.   Sams WRs are real good.   Great route runners and incredibly fast.   Unds d line/lb need to make their qb run for his life to have a chance.    

Sams D is not that good but neither is rudy so there’s that   

36 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

I have them 6-5 as well.  Rudy’s incompetence is directly credited for 3 of those. 

If und can implement toughness and the secondary is prepared .... the Sam Houston game is a very winnable game.  On the flip side ....if und is weak on the d front and is not getting to their qb and the secondary is average  .....they will get blown out of the water.   Sams WRs are real good.   Great route runners and incredibly fast.   Unds d line/lb need to make their qb run for his life to have a chance.    

Sams D is not that good but neither is rudy so there’s that   

What number is Rudy wearing this year?   Does it get to the point where the "Rudy" thing becomes as much of an excuse as saying "we were injury riddled last year." I mean lots of other teams have inept OCs, too, and still manage to win.Their players simply execute. A lot of bad OCs out there are being made to look really good from players who execute at a high level. Players gotta execute, too.  I don't consider Messingham at SU to be this awesome all-world OC but he just won his team a national championship. Me thinks it had more to do with their players executing. Replace Messingham with Rudy on last year's UND squad and I think that our results don't change one iota.

Don't get me wrong Rudy has a lot to improve upon and a lot to prove this year, but it can get slippery if we pin our excuses on one guy. Lots of blame and credit to go around. 

Signed, 

Mrs. R  :D

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Teeder11 said:

What number is Rudy wearing this year?   Does it get to the point where the "Rudy" thing becomes as much of an excuse as saying "we were injury riddled last year." I mean lots of other teams have inept OCs, too, and still manage to win.Their players simply execute. A lot of bad OCs out there are being made to look really good from players who execute at a high level. Players gotta execute, too.  I don't consider Messingham at SU to be this awesome all-world OC but he just won his team a national championship. Me thinks it had more to do with their players executing. Replace Messingham with Rudy on last year's UND squad and I think that our results don't change one iota.

Don't get me wrong Rudy has a lot to improve upon and a lot to prove this year, but it can get slippery if we pin our excuses on one guy. Lots of blame and credit to go around. 

Signed, 

Mrs. R  :D

Unless the QB is calling his own plays (I assume he is not), the buck stops with Rudolph when it comes to play-calling and subsequent lack of results. The reverse play vs. Richmond was the wrong call at the wrong time and that is on Rudolph. Not on "lack of execution".

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Unless the QB is calling his own plays (I assume he is not), the buck stops with Rudolph when it comes to play-calling and subsequent lack of results. The reverse play vs. Richmond was the wrong call at the wrong time and that is on Rudolph. Not on "lack of execution".

Yes, I agree. But my overriding point is more than just a specific anecdotal play.  Do we run the risk of letting others off the hook by fixating so much  on one glaring need for improvement?  I want to get better all around, not just in one aspect of the game.

8 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

I used 1% in the Sam Houston game, simply because I can't picture UND winning the game. At the same point, I realize it's not technically impossible. If you look at my prediction for the season, I'm far from pessimistic, but like I said, just can't picture them going on the road and beating that team.

I would love nothing more than to be wrong, because like others said, that game would be a true game changer for the season.

10 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Yes, I agree. But my overriding point is more than just a specific anecdotal play.  Do we run the risk of letting others off the hook by fixating so much  on one glaring need for improvement?  I want to get better all around, not just in one aspect of the game.

Nobody is "letting others off the hook" for anything. But the fact is Rudolph has not been utilizing the talent he has at his disposal. And people are just sick and tired of it.

• Upvote 3

I bet 90% of us are on the same page with our overall dissatisfaction with play calling / adjustments / coming from the offensive side of the ball. As far as I'm concerned this is not even close to a Rudolph only issue anymore (it probably never was), but Bubba has now handcuffed himself with Rudolph in my eyes. He had a chance this past summer to separate himself from Rudolph and didn't, so the pressure should be on Bubba more than Rudolph. Ultimately, he's the one that makes the decisions for game plans, ect, if he doesn't like the 2nd and 9 run up the middle for 2 yards every time, he would have stopped it. If Rudolph fails, so does Bubba and they both need to be gone.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Nobody is "letting others off the hook" for anything. But the fact is Rudolph has not been utilizing the talent he has at his disposal. And people are just sick and tired of it.

I mean, he has utilized his RB's to the point where one is a three time All-American and another is two time all-conference. And I don't think anyone is going to say our O-Line has been a strength any of the last 3 years.

Yes, there's room for improvement but I think the blame game on this has jumped the shark.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I mean, he has utilized his RB's to the point where one is a three time All-American and another is two time all-conference. And I don't think anyone is going to say our O-Line has been a strength any of the last 3 years.

Yes, there's room for improvement but I think the blame game on this has jumped the shark.

Santiago is a great RB, no question. But all those predictable running plays on 1st and 2nd down, followed by the inevitable 3rd down pass, have killed this team at times. When the fans can predict what the play call is going to be, how hard is it to defend? I am guessing not too hard. You need to have some level of unpredictability to score points at this level. Rudolph doesn't seem to get that. He doesn't have the best talent across the board, not even close. But the cupboard isn't as bare as it was when he got here. Time to produce more points so the defense doesn't have to do everything by itself.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, AJS said:

I bet 90% of us are on the same page with our overall dissatisfaction with play calling / adjustments / coming from the offensive side of the ball. As far as I'm concerned this is not even close to a Rudolph only issue anymore (it probably never was), but Bubba has now handcuffed himself with Rudolph in my eyes. He had a chance this past summer to separate himself from Rudolph and didn't, so the pressure should be on Bubba more than Rudolph. Ultimately, he's the one that makes the decisions for game plans, ect, if he doesn't like the 2nd and 9 run up the middle for 2 yards every time, he would have stopped it. If Rudolph fails, so does Bubba and they both need to be gone.

Exactly.

32 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Agree.   As we've seen at times, Santiago or Olivera do not need very must space at the line to break off a long run.   Sometimes just one more battle won by an O-lineman would result in a big play.  Rudolph does get that.  So does Bubba, who obviously sets up the offensive attack along with Rudolph.   If John breaks off a run for 40 yards people will say "great call".   If he's stuffed at the line, people will say Rudolph can't call a game.  

But, I think it's all part of Bubba's philosophy, challenging the offense to be a dominant running team and keep the clock running.  I liked Keaton, but at times his accuracy drove me crazy.  The Bubba-Rudolph's philosophy seems to be to avoid the 45 seconds drive after a couple of incomplete passes.  I think we have some nice QB options heading into the fall and because of that we're going to see the RBs have a great year.   Good QB play can make an average line look better and vice versa and that's going to help the run game.  I want to believe the offense takes a big step this year.  I can't wait.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Sioux_FF said:

Agree.   As we've seen at times, Santiago or Olivera do not need very must space at the line to break off a long run.   Sometimes just one more battle won by an O-lineman would result in a big play.  Rudolph does get that.  So does Bubba, who obviously sets up the offensive attack along with Rudolph.   If John breaks off a run for 40 yards people will say "great call".   If he's stuffed at the line, people will say Rudolph can't call a game.  

But, I think it's all part of Bubba's philosophy, challenging the offense to be a dominant running team and keep the clock running.  I liked Keaton, but at times his accuracy drove me crazy.  The Bubba-Rudolph's philosophy seems to be to avoid the 45 seconds drive after a couple of incomplete passes.  I think we have some nice QB options heading into the fall and because of that we're going to see the RBs have a great year.   Good QB play can make an average line look better and vice versa and that's going to help the run game.  I want to believe the offense takes a big step this year.  I can't wait.

Well Said.