SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 Season

shep

4 hours ago, northernraider said:

We dont win by at least 21 points, I'll be worried about the season. 

I totally agree, but it kind of sucks if we win 42-7 that it's looked at almost as a disappointment. 

This is a great opening game. Best case, the place is sold out thanks to the Valley Dairy deal, we blow out MSVS, not injured, and the casual fan becomes excited not knowing how terrible of a team we beat.  

However, flip side we lose and basically have zero support or hype for rest if the season

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, northernraider said:

This is a great opening game. Best case, the place is sold out thanks to the Valley Dairy deal, we blow out MSVS, not injured, and the casual fan becomes excited not knowing how terrible of a team we beat.  

However, flip side we lose and basically have zero support or hype for rest if the season

We just smoked MISSISSIPPI (valley) STATE! Who’s next?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

I totally agree, but it kind of sucks if we win 42-7 that it's looked at almost as a disappointment. 

No worries on this one.    We should easily win by 50 and see lots of guys playing.

17 hours ago, northernraider said:

We dont win by at least 21 points, I'll be worried about the season. 

This game is a joke, should be 21-0 after our 1st three offensive drives.  If it isn't, our season is in trouble.

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 2:35 PM, AJS said:

There's going to be a lot of questions in this post. I'll start with the defense. Looking back last year would the following quick assessment be fair.

Defensively: Poor (On a 1 to 10 scale about a 2)

My big questions would be:

• If fully healthy, would the ILB's go from the biggest weakness to the biggest strength on the defense?
  • Is it a reasonable expectation that this front 7 returns to one of the stronger units in the Big Sky?

Going from a team that couldn't stop the run or pass, fixing one of those completely would go a long way in becoming competitive.

• What needs to happen when viewing the secondary? Strictly guys staying healthy?

I'm fully optimistic in the Front 7 doing a complete 180, but not so much the secondary. Even so, is it reasonable that there should be improved play from both the Safety & CB spots next year, strictly with guys coming back from injuries / getting experience?

My hope is that after being a 2 last year, they can be either a 6 or 7 this year (Slightly above average defense).

Offensively: Below Average (On a 1 to 10 scale about a 4)

My big questions would be:

• Offensive Line
  • QB - I think this is the most quality depth this team has had in a while at the QB position, the question would be can one of them be great?
  • WR - Do we think one of the young receivers will be a true deep threat

If you break down each offensive unit, I actually really like the depth and talent at QB, RB, WR and TE. Like everyone else has said, it really comes down to the O-Line. Will they be better next year? Like others, I think the Sophomore class can be a pretty special group. Will we see 4 Sophomores starting this year?

Prediction: 5 or 6 (Average Offensively)

Overall:

I think this team bounces back, there's been a lot more good than bad during the Bubba era. Like I've written before, after the Missouri State game last year, I would have never believed they would have finished the way they did. I truly believe they will be back defensively, which will completely change everything about this team. I don't think I can emphasis enough how big the ILB difference will make from this year to last. All eyes on the offensive line next year, if they can be average, they should be ok.

Prediction: 7-4

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I don’t worry about season records, or games, or scores. I say start simple. 

Win this snap.

Honestly, that’s all there is in football: the coming snap. 

Win this snap. 

Win doesn’t have to mean score or strip the ball. 

Win means 4 yards on first down.
Win means converting on third down.
Win means catching the ball even if it’s for no gain. 
Win means executing a coffin corner punt. 
Win means stuffing a run for no gain. 
Win means breaking up a pass. 
Win means making their QB throw it away because there are no options. 
Win means wrapping up a tackle. 
Win means hanging onto the ball. 
Win means making a block or getting off a block. 

Win means executing all the tiny but huge parts of the game in your favor every snap. 
Win means all 11 guys on the same page executing as one. 

Win this snap. 

Or as Al Davis said, “Just win, baby.” 

So my thoughts on 2018? 

Win this snap. 

What else is there. 

Simple, yet elegant

On 7/8/2018 at 9:46 PM, The Sicatoka said:

I don’t worry about season records, or games, or scores. I say start simple. 

Win this snap.

Honestly, that’s all there is in football: the coming snap. 

Win this snap. 

Win doesn’t have to mean score or strip the ball. 

Win means 4 yards on first down.
Win means converting on third down.
Win means catching the ball even if it’s for no gain. 
Win means executing a coffin corner punt. 
Win means stuffing a run for no gain. 
Win means breaking up a pass. 
Win means making their QB throw it away because there are no options. 
Win means wrapping up a tackle. 
Win means hanging onto the ball. 
Win means making a block or getting off a block. 

Win means executing all the tiny but huge parts of the game in your favor every snap. 
Win means all 11 guys on the same page executing as one. 

Win this snap. 

Or as Al Davis said, “Just win, baby.” 

So my thoughts on 2018? 

Win this snap. 

What else is there. 

I understand this type of football....life is simple!

Go Sioux!

When does camp actually start?

Are those with injuries on track to start?

Will Teeder be giving his usual reports?

I know its early July, and I hate to wish away the great weather, but man am I ready for some football. Last season was so disheartening, but there will be a lot of pieces in place this year, that were not there last year.

So many back from injury, as well as some nice additions and R.Freshman. Maybe some true Freshman that can compete as well (still bummed about Slater, and missing on Okpoko). Biggest question mark will have to be who steps up at QB. I'm on the Ketteringham bandwagon at this point. There were some nice reports on him last fall running the scout team, and I think one that said he looked the part last summer. If he can develop some chemistry with the receivers, it could open up a whole new dimension to this offense (So long as it is utilized, ahem Rudy!)

Can wait to beat MVSU!

2 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

When does camp actually start?

Are those with injuries on track to start?

Will Teeder be giving his usual reports?

I know its early July, and I hate to wish away the great weather, but man am I ready for some football. Last season was so disheartening, but there will be a lot of pieces in place this year, that were not there last year.

So many back from injury, as well as some nice additions and R.Freshman. Maybe some true Freshman that can compete as well (still bummed about Slater, and missing on Okpoko). Biggest question mark will have to be who steps up at QB. I'm on the Ketteringham bandwagon at this point. There were some nice reports on him last fall running the scout team, and I think one that said he looked the part last summer. If he can develop some chemistry with the receivers, it could open up a whole new dimension to this offense (So long as it is utilized, ahem Rudy!)

Can wait to beat MVSU!

Sorry guys. I will be road tripping to Orlando and back, July 27-Aug. 10.  At least no one will blame my reports on being oppo research for other teams, like last year. I think other FCS programs have better things to worry about than injury reports from some armchair blogger in Grand Forks. ;)

All that said, maybe I will try to catch some late camp sessions. Hoping there isn't a full contingent of stationary bikers on the sidelines by then.

28 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Sorry guys. I will be road tripping to Orlando and back, July 27-Aug. 10.  At least no one will blame my reports on being oppo research for other teams, like last year. I think other FCS programs have better things to worry about than injury reports from some armchair blogger in Grand Forks. ;)

All that said, maybe I will try to catch some late camp sessions. Hoping there isn't a full contingent of stationary bikers on the sidelines by then.

Dude! You gotta get a majority vote if you're gonna take vacation at the start of camp!

Jk, I guess we'll just have to rely on Miller's reports then. Enjoy your trip.

5 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Dude! You gotta get a majority vote if you're gonna take vacation at the start of camp!

Ha ha!  Yes, if it were totally up to me, I wouldn't be going south that time of year.   Wife taught summer school until the end of June and kids are tied up with swimming lessons, camps and Summer Performing Arts until mid July... so August it is,  I guess.   We are doing St. Louis, Atlanta, Orlando, Daytona Beach, Nashville, Chicago and home again. Been saving up for over a year. #Roadtripfromhell. LOL!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Teeder11 said:

So full blogs and reporting = 1st round bye in play-offs

No blogs and reporting = destructive 3 W season

Why is this even debatable!!

10 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

So full blogs and reporting = 1st round bye in play-offs

No blogs and reporting = destructive 3 W season

Why is this even debatable!!

I think you're on to something -- or on something.... as the Common Man might say.  :D

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

52 minutes ago, northernraider said:

When did the GFH notice we had a football team?

They know, don't worry!  They already cover every conceivable story, apparently.  Teeder doesn't provide any info that isn't already available through Tom.  ***Sarcasm****

gfh.PNG

I remember last year about this time the Big Sky conference kickoff thing was going on and I was so pumped for the 2017 season.  I think it was only a couple days after the Big Sky conference kickoff thing we got the news about Harris and I remember that being a little deflating.  Then it was just a snowball from hell after that for the rest of the season.  Keeping my fingers crossed for no bad news the rest of the off season!  

12 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I remember last year about this time the Big Sky conference kickoff thing was going on and I was so pumped for the 2017 season.

Going to be double whammy not being included in that coupled the guy in charge of UND Football media leaving. Hopefully they can get someone in there to help get some media out and build up some excitement.

38 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I remember last year about this time the Big Sky conference kickoff thing was going on and I was so pumped for the 2017 season.  I think it was only a couple days after the Big Sky conference kickoff thing we got the news about Harris and I remember that being a little deflating.  Then it was just a snowball from hell after that for the rest of the season.  Keeping my fingers crossed for no bad news the rest of the off season!  

I've experienced a lot of disappointment as a fan over the years (throughout many sports), like most have, but I've never experienced anything close to what happened last year as a UND football fan. I've never been more excited for a year and to say I was blindsided by the result would be an understatement. It's really hard to comprehend how off the rails it went.

Back to 2018, after reading the Top 5 Fr list and some included transfers, ect, I'm even more excited for this defenses potential. I'm sold on their front 7 going back to the norm, I have no doubt about that. I think that the CB will be solidified as well. That leaves one position group that is a question mark.

• Upvote 3