SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 Season

shep

On 5/15/2018 at 3:19 PM, sioux4life28 said:

What do you guys think about Ty Shannon #19? Played as a true freshman, but haven't heard much talk about him? Only thing I have heard is he is pushing 205 lbs , which is good at safety especially if his speed is great. Was looking at all the Colorado recruits from last year and this year out of the blue. What Colorado kid will have the biggest impact on the 2018 season, whether it is offense or Defense?

UNDColorado and I saw his parents at the Utah game last year, talked with them for a bit walking from the tailgate into the stadium.  Was cool to see that they made the trip even though he was only a true freshman and likely wouldn't play.   I sure am looking forward to having a lot more depth on defense this year and us bouncing back on defense.  Was such a helpless feeling watching our defense last year.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sioux94 said:

UNDColorado and I saw his parents at the Utah game last year, talked with them for a bit walking from the tailgate into the stadium.  Was cool to see that they made the trip even though he was only a true freshman and likely wouldn't play.   I sure am looking forward to having a lot more depth on defense this year and us bouncing back on defense.  Was such a helpless feeling watching our defense last year.  

The USD game still gives me nightmares.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

For sure. I didn't expect much from a true freshman. That is a lot of speed and information to be processing. I think he has the tools but time will tell of course.

Yeah, that is true. Though I wasn't even thinking about any individuals. That game as a whole gives me nightmares. Terrible game all around. 

32 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Yeah, that is true. Though I wasn't even thinking about any individuals. That game as a whole gives me nightmares. Terrible game all around. 

No doubt.....by midway through the third quarter, or maybe even by the end of halftime.....I knew our season was pretty much over.  Having your season basically be over by the end of September was very very hard to swallow.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

When is the next action for football? Is there anything between now and fall camp?

I think most FB players are expected to be back in GF about June 1 for summer workouts.  Two very important dates coming up for recruiting - Elite camps for HS kids on June 21 and July 21.  The coaching staff will work hard to ensure prospects we really want will attend one of these camps.  Quite a few offers are made immediately after those camps and the first commitments usually follow soon after.  The coaches will also pay a lot of attention to kids attending the 7 on 7 passing camp on June 13th.   

• Upvote 1

There's going to be a lot of questions in this post. I'll start with the defense. Looking back last year would the following quick assessment be fair.

Defensively: Poor (One a 1 to 10 scale about a 2)

My big questions would be:

• If fully healthy, would the ILB's go from the biggest weakness to the biggest strength on the defense?
  • Is it a reasonable expectation that this front 7 returns to one of the stronger units in the Big Sky?

Going from a team that couldn't stop the run or pass, fixing one of those completely would go a long way in becoming competitive.

• What needs to happen when viewing the secondary? Strictly guys staying healthy?

I'm fully optimistic in the Front 7 doing a complete 180, but not so much the secondary. Even so, is it reasonable that there should be improved play from both the Safety & CB spots next year, strictly with guys coming back from injuries / getting experience?

My hope is that after being a 2 last year, they can be either a 6 or 7 this year (Slightly above average defense).

25 minutes ago, AJS said:

There's going to be a lot of questions in this post. I'll start with the defense. Looking back last year would the following quick assessment be fair.

Defensively: Poor (One a 1 to 10 scale about a 2)

My big questions would be:

• If fully healthy, would the ILB's go from the biggest weakness to the biggest strength on the defense?
  • Is it a reasonable expectation that this front 7 returns to one of the stronger units in the Big Sky?

Going from a team that couldn't stop the run or pass, fixing one of those completely would go a long way in becoming competitive.

• What needs to happen when viewing the secondary? Strictly guys staying healthy?

I'm fully optimistic in the Front 7 doing a complete 180, but not so much the secondary. Even so, is it reasonable that there should be improved play from both the Safety & CB spots next year, strictly with guys coming back from injuries / getting experience?

My hope is that after being a 2 last year, they can be either a 6 or 7 this year (Slightly above average defense).

IMO the season will hinge on whether or not we can stop the run this season.  If we can stop the run, we'll be able to control the line of scrimmage and also get home with the blitz.  The secondary should be improved and will look much better if we can blitz effectively.  If Harris is back to full strength at cb we could have a better overall defense than 2016.

4 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

IMO the season will hinge on whether or not we can stop the run this season.  If we can stop the run, we'll be able to control the line of scrimmage and also get home with the blitz.  The secondary should be improved and will look much better if we can blitz effectively.  If Harris is back to full strength at cb we could have a better overall defense than 2016.

I think we will go back to at least a 7 on defense this year, potentially an 8 if I put my Kelly Green glasses on.  :)    Secondary as usual will be the biggest concern, particularly Safety.  If Harris is healthy, having him and Holm at corner should be pretty solid and some of the backups will have experience. Reyes leaves a big hole to fill, but since he was often banged up it's maybe not as big of a loss as it would have been if you look at a full season.  

30 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I think we will go back to at least a 7 on defense this year, potentially an 8 if I put my Kelly Green glasses on.  :)    Secondary as usual will be the biggest concern, particularly Safety.  If Harris is healthy, having him and Holm at corner should be pretty solid and some of the backups will have experience. Reyes leaves a big hole to fill, but since he was often banged up it's maybe not as big of a loss as it would have been if you look at a full season.  

Every day that goes by without him being added to an NFL roster makes me feel worse for the kid.  Potentially another season to prove he could stay healthy would have done him wonders.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Stealing from the Buy or Sell question about RB and WR Production, which RB do you think will have the most rushing yards this year.......Santiago, Brady, or JJ? 

I will go with Brady under the assumption Rudy will wake up and use Santiago differently. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Stealing from the Buy or Sell question about RB and WR Production, which RB do you think will have the most rushing yards this year.......Santiago, Brady, or JJ? 

I predict Brady.  I think (and maybe I am hopeful) Santiago will be used more in the passing game.  I still don't know what the deal is with JJ.  He needs to get more touches.  If Santiago's role is tweaked a little bit, that may end up happening. 

17 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Countdown continues. 98 days to the opener. 

I say that our defense will be significantly better than last year  the defense will be fun to watch again!!

This would be awesome. In 2016 I actually looked forward to watching our defense every series...last year I cringed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

I question JJ's durability so I'll go with Santiago.

Barring injury, I'll go with Santiago, also.  He's an incredible talent who I hope finishes his career with a bang.  Like others, I'd like to see him used as a receiver several times every game, also; he should be utilized, one way or another, on virtually every offensive series.

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

One thing I noticed watching the scrimmage, the kicker looked shaky at best kicking field goals/XP.  Was he having a bad day or is this going to be a problem?

I don’t like the sound of this. We need to come away with points on drives when we have the chance 

On 5/22/2018 at 1:53 PM, geaux_sioux said:

Our timing is, as usual, impeccable for FBS opponents.

If you care about timing, tell Bubba to only schedule the Ball States and Bowling Greens of the world.  That sort of attitude sucks.

1 hour ago, TheFlop said:

If you care about timing, tell Bubba to only schedule the Ball States and Bowling Greens of the world.  That sort of attitude sucks.

The sad thing is, we didn't even beat Bowling Green when we played them, and we had a playoff caliber team in 2016.

• Upvote 1