SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 Season

shep

19 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

Ditto.  I need to take Friday off.  Hard to take a day off to watch Miss State

Not to be the grammar police... ;)

would love to see UND take on Mississippi State (SEC) at the Alerua. Agree about Miss Valley

2 minutes ago, zonadub said:

Not to be the grammar police... ;)

would love to see UND take on Mississippi State (SEC) at the Alerua. Agree about Miss Valley

Thanks.  I didn't take the time to check.  I knew it wasn't Miss State.  Sorry for the confusion.  I would like to see SEC at the Alerus too.  Hell even travel to Miss to play a SEC team. 

21 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Thanks.  I didn't take the time to check.  I knew it wasn't Miss State.  Sorry for the confusion.  I would like to see SEC at the Alerus too.  Hell even travel to Miss to play a SEC team. 

Are SEC teams allowed to play FCS teams? Playing that conference would be great. I am enjoying the p5 teams like the Pac12 and the Big 12. Has a little more meaning than MAC or MWC teams (even when we lose).

2 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Are SEC teams allowed to play FCS teams? Playing that conference would be great. I am enjoying the p5 teams like the Pac12 and the Big 12. Has a little more meaning than MAC or MWC teams (even when we lose).

No thanks. We don’t need that kind of abuse. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Fry Bread said:

3 days without football talk! You guys serious? Come on, some of us live for your insight and wisdom. GIVE US SOME 

I love talking about UND football but it’s so hard at this time to come up with new things to talk about. 

1 hour ago, Fry Bread said:

3 days without football talk! You guys serious? Come on, some of us live for your insight and wisdom. GIVE US SOME 

We have a couple big games early, Washington and Sam Houston........question.....which games after that are you most excited about?  For me I think it is Montana........not sure I can handle another loss to them. 

8 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

We have a couple big games early, Washington and Sam Houston........question.....which games after that are you most excited about?  For me I think it is Montana........not sure I can handle another loss to them. 

My thought for today is can UND beat a quality team on the road this season?  It's incredibly important for both team's confidence and the FCS playoff committee rankings.  

Washington, Sam Houston State, and I would even say Idaho are the three games that fall into that category in my opinion.  UND needs to win at least one of those three road games to be a playoff team; the Idaho game would obviously be the favorite at this point. Assumption is that an average to above average team should be able to win most if not all home games; cueing Alerus Center home-field advantage ...

14 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

My thought for today is can UND beat a quality team on the road this season?  It's incredibly important for both team's confidence and the FCS playoff committee rankings.  

Washington, Sam Houston State, and I would even say Idaho are the three games that fall into that category in my opinion.  UND needs to win at least one of those three road games to be a playoff team; the Idaho game would obviously be the favorite at this point. Assumption is that an average to above average team should be able to win most if not all home games; cueing Alerus Center home-field advantage ...

Agreed, UND needs to win a big game that we are not expected to win. We actually played well against Utah last year, it would be some much fun to take down a team like Washington, and while I don't expect that, I do think we need to be ready to go into SHSU and look for a win. That would be huge.

9 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

My selfish response is the game at UNC. Could be the last time we are here for quite some time so looking to make the best of it.

Looking at their schedule from a semi-optimistic look, here's what I like.

• Start with MVSU at home - it'll be a D1 win, will get a lot of different players reps (need to sell hope)
  • Washington - Big loss, but it'll get the guys reps against the best team they'll see all year
  • SHSU - Don't like this matchup at all
  • Idaho State - Perfect team to start the "conference" season against, at home
  • UNC - One of the better teams to start the "conference" road season against
  • Montana - Bye week going into a home game against Montana
  • Sac State - If you were hand picking an away schedule, you'd have this team on it

I've never experienced a season as a fan like last years, where the rug was completely pulled our from under me. Was this just a one time occurrence? For me, this year is about selling hope for as long as you can. The way I look at it, is you start out with a win and a pay game. That brings you to your first fork in the road. You can sell optimism at 1-1 with a loss to Washington. A win against SHSU would significantly change everyone's expectation. A loss would hurt, but not completely derail. I really like the way the first four / five games of the "conference" schedule start out. I don't know if we'd make any significant changes if we could hand pick a schedule.

The back end is much tougher @ Idaho & @ Northern Arizona, but better play those games at the end, then at the beginning.

Also, how about not having the bye week scheduled the last week of the year. It's in a pretty good spot next year.

UND Schedule.PNG

2 minutes ago, AJS said:

• Start with MVSU at home - it'll be a D1 win, will get a lot of different players reps (need to sell hope)
  • Washington - Big loss, but it'll get the guys reps against the best team they'll see all year
  • Sac State - If you were hand picking an away schedule, you'd have this team on it

I've never experienced a season as a fan like last years, where the rug was completely pulled our from under me. Was this just a one time occurrence? For me, this year is about selling hope for as long as you can. The way I look at it, is you start out with a win and a pay game. That brings you to your first fork in the road. You can sell optimism at 1-1 with a loss to Washington. A win against SHSU would significantly change everyone's expectation. A loss would hurt, but not completely derail. I really like the way the first four / five games of the "conference" schedule start out. I don't know if we'd make any significant changes if we could hand pick a schedule.

The back end is much tougher @ Idaho & @ Northern Arizona, but better play those games at the end, then at the beginning.

Also, how about not having the bye week scheduled the last week of the year. It's in a pretty good spot next year.

UND Schedule.PNG

All good points but amen to that!

38 minutes ago, AJS said:

UND Schedule.PNG

Not sure I agree about Sac.

The game against Sammy will be very telling for this team.    If we intend to do anything this year, this is a must win.     Sammy is the type of team we will be up against all through the playoffs, so need win here and keep winning the majority of games after that.

4 minutes ago, TRex said:

The game against Sammy will be very telling for this team.    If we intend to do anything this year, this is a must win.     Sammy is the type of team we will be up against all through the playoffs, so need win here and keep winning the majority of games after that.

The blueprint is out there for how to beat the breaks off of them. It remains to be seen if we have the horses.

What do you guys think about Ty Shannon #19? Played as a true freshman, but haven't heard much talk about him? Only thing I have heard is he is pushing 205 lbs , which is good at safety especially if his speed is great. Was looking at all the Colorado recruits from last year and this year out of the blue. What Colorado kid will have the biggest impact on the 2018 season, whether it is offense or Defense?

On 5/15/2018 at 5:19 PM, sioux4life28 said:

What do you guys think about Ty Shannon #19? Played as a true freshman, but haven't heard much talk about him? Only thing I have heard is he is pushing 205 lbs , which is good at safety especially if his speed is great. Was looking at all the Colorado recruits from last year and this year out of the blue. What Colorado kid will have the biggest impact on the 2018 season, whether it is offense or Defense?

I think he has a big future at safety for UND.  Has the size to play vs bigger WR's and appears to be a heck of an athlete!   

• Like 1