SiouxSports.com Forum

Game Day @ Da Birds 7pm

geaux_sioux

41 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Give almost 500 yards, can't convert on 3rd down, have more penalties and lose the turnover game 4-0..............and UND lost? 

Shocking really..............

Sloppy offense and the defense can't stop anyone.  I understand that Rastas and Disterhaupt are undersized but man they are not even close to getting it done out there.  Almost every time I just watch them out there it is ugly.  Lots of the bad secondary play being caused by NO PRESSURE on the QB.  Last season was the opposite, QBs under constant pressure causing turnovers.  Lots and lots to work on in the off season.  Have to find a couple DL and blitzing LB that can get to QB next year.  

10 hours ago, SiouxDini said:

I'm hearing Ketteringham is the best QB on the roster.

The best  hand'r -off'r  you mean 

Rudolph won't use his skills next year....no way!  

Look what Rudolph has done with Keaton!?  IMO, Keatons accuracy is below average but it could be covered a bit if his skill set was being used properly. He can look fantastic when he is in comfort zone.  Look at streveler down at USD....he couldn't throw in the ocean standing on the beach last year. When an offense (OC) has talented skill players they use their talent, Rudolph prefers to power Santiago up the middle.  Love watching Santiago return punts...at least there we get to see what he's capable of. 

11 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

The D is a mess.  UND started  two true fresh , fresh and true soph  in the secondary.....talk about lighting up an opposing teams OC eyes!!   Half the starters on D were fresh.   E wash could eclipse 70-80 points on Saturday as they're fighting for the playoffs.   They're going to be coming in hungry and looking for style points. 

The thing I'm most frustrated about this year is the play or lack thereof, of the DEs .  The haven't been ravaged by injuries and have upper class leadership.  Seems like they've gone the entire year without existing.  What gives!?  They should be making some kind of push around the edge to help the fresh in the secondary...instead there's nothing!   Any capable opposing  qb will have a career day.  Gubrud is going to absolutely tear this team up Saturday without any inckling of pressure

DEs - no pressure 

ILB - UND is essentially down the starting two studsrud here based on size 

secondary - all fresh 

Glad there's only one game left in this WTF season  

D line play has been frustrating this season.  Better vs the run yesterday but non existent vs the pass.  SUU QB had all day yesterday.  

44 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

The best  hand'r -off'r  you mean 

Rudolph won't use his skills next year....no way!  

Look what Rudolph has done with Keaton!?  IMO, Keatons accuracy is below average but it could be covered a bit if his skill set was being used properly. He can look fantastic when he is in comfort zone.  Look at streveler down at USD....he couldn't throw in the ocean standing on the beach last year. When an offense (OC) has talented skill players they use their talent, Rudolph prefers to power Santiago up the middle.  Isnt fun to watch  Santiago return punts...at least there we get to see what he's capable of. 

I think Keaton is an average college QB and that's just fine with Bubba as he wants his QB to be a game manager and doesn't need a guy who can win a game with his arm. I am hoping both he and Rudy understand that a QB who can win a game is necessary IF you want to contend for a title. 

But it's not on Rudy that Studs' skillset is what it is.  Sure they could have gone to more of the swing passes to Santiago in space then what has occurred this year and could have tried him in the slot more, but when your QB is not a guy who can consistently hit the HR downfield, what's the point of using your fastest guy out there. Ball would just be underthrown anyway.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, shep said:

I think Keaton is an average college QB and that's just fine with Bubba as he wants his QB to be a game manager and doesn't need a guy who can win a game with his arm. I am hoping both he and Rudy understand that a QB who can win a game is necessary IF you want to contend for a title. 

But it's not on Rudy that Studs' skillset is what it is.  Sure they could have gone to more of the swing passes to Santiago in space then what has occurred this year and could have tried him in the slot more, but when your QB is not a guy who can consistently hit the HR downfield, what's the point of using your fastest guy out there. Ball would just be underthrown anyway.

I agree with most of your post minus the "it's not on Rudy" comment. He's the OC,  and as an OC...it better be up to him to use the skill of the personal that he chooses to start.  Keaton could be used much differently.  The same for Santiago....he's being used like a 240 lb FB.  Santiago is just an ok rb with how Rudy uses him.  He's a @&$%#^ all American!!! Brady and JJ and Izzy and luke and cloyd and coyne and finke could all be great contributors.  There is so many ways....and Rudys way is just sad and depressing. 

Yesterday the  D didn't step up to help the ave ppg for UND...Rudy was left alone to get the points......he was able to muster up a whopping 21 points again against a !@#!$ big sky D. 

I won't be sad if Rudy goes, but yesterday illustrated the times the play calling wasn't bad and the QB just didn't have it.

There was a play early in the 3rd, Brady is wide open on a wheel route and Studs just misses him. Would have been 20 yards at least. On his 2 INT's he had guys open but went for the wrong receiver. Even the calls at the goal line had me wondering IF the second one was really a sneak as Studs went to his left leaving JJ in the position of having to push him. 

You're right-the D helped the O a LOT last year and just didn't do crap this year and that opened up the book of criticism on Rudy. If he's gone, get someone who wants a QB to play with his arm more than his legs.

1 hour ago, homer said:

D line play has been frustrating this season.  Better vs the run yesterday but non existent vs the pass.  SUU QB had all day yesterday.  

Yes, sardines have comfort in numbers, apparently our D-line does too.  Tank looked OK, but we are way under talented on the field this year.  When rushing 4 I thought the SUU QB was going to take a nap back there.  If I do my math correctly, that leaves 7 in coverage, so why would we see 3 receivers on the screen and 2 D-backs....??  Or other times 2 WRs and only 1 D-back.  What a mess!!

LB's- mostly inside guys can't stop the run, can't pressure the QB, that's a bad combo.

Secondary- we might as well play man from a cover 3 position, cause our man technique sucks.  Our guys are so under confident that they never find the ball, even when they have good position.  We would be susceptible to slants but better than getting torched all game.

2 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Yes, sardines have comfort in numbers, apparently our D-line does too.  Tank looked OK, but we are way under talented on the field this year.  When rushing 4 I thought the SUU QB was going to take a nap back there.  If I do my math correctly, that leaves 7 in coverage, so why would we see 3 receivers on the screen and 2 D-backs....??  Or other times 2 WRs and only 1 D-back.  What a mess!!

LB's- mostly inside guys can't stop the run, can't pressure the QB, that's a bad combo.

Secondary- we might as well play man from a cover 3 position, cause our man technique sucks.  Our guys are so under confident that they never find the ball, even when they have good position.  We would be susceptible to slants but better than getting torched all game.

That’s the frustrating thing is 75% of the time they are in ok position.  Lack confidence of turning and looking for the ball or they need one more piece hand contact.  3rd down rate is struggling defensively because defense calls the old “9” route and throws it up.  

4 hours ago, UNDColorado said:

I'm not giving up on Hunt, he is only a sophomore. Harris wasn't very good as a soph and he turned out okay.

Blubaugh will be good...I would pick on him too if I was an opposing OC.

I'm starting to doubt that Blubaugh will ever be "good". Harris was never this bad during his true freshman season. 

I do see some potential with Hunt yet. He plays aggressive at times. No plays lately but he made some nice plays earlier. As for Blubaugh no sign of playmaking.

45 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I'm starting to doubt that Blubaugh will ever be "good". Harris was never this bad during his true freshman season. 

I do see some potential with Hunt yet. He plays aggressive at times. No plays lately but he made some nice plays earlier. As for Blubaugh no sign of playmaking.

I know I sound like a coach basher, but for our guys to loose the 50/50 battles as often as they do, I'm concerned with taught technique more than physical skill of our corners.  As mentioned previous even when in good position, we don't make the play.  Our guys don't trust what they see and appear to be so focused on the person they are covering, they forget all about tracking the ball. Playing corner is a multi-step process. You have to be able to see through the receiver to the QB to anticipate, locate the ball and ultimately run the route for the receiver. We don't seem to be able to execute all phases on the same play, consistently.

I thought for sure Ty would break up or intercept a deep pass against Sac State and again yesterday in the end zone. When Hunt was scored on yesterday, the ball ended up being caught behind him because the didn't know where the ball was. Blubaugh simply panics when the ball in the air and defaults to a grabbing or throwing his hands up which did work once yesterday.

14 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

I heard an unconfirmed rumor that a game may be added in place of the bye week. FBS teams who had to cancel due to hurricanes a few weeks back, are looking to make up games with opponents who have byes. Its been a rough season but we could use some more live game reps IMO.

I'll suit up at QB for GB before this happens

15 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

I heard an unconfirmed rumor that a game may be added in place of the bye week. FBS teams who had to cancel due to hurricanes a few weeks back, are looking to make up games with opponents who have byes. Its been a rough season but we could use some more live game reps IMO.

Let's play The U baby!

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I don't think we need that kind of beating headed into the off-season but it would be cool to play them.

I agree, that's why I'd just go the beach...the game would be a beat down. If it does materialize, there are some lesser opponents that we could take on. But, messing with grown folks in Miami would not be a good way to end the season.

3 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

I agree, that's why I'd just go the beach...the game would be a beat down. If it does materialize, there are some lesser opponents that we could take on. But, messing with grown folks in Miami would not be a good way to end the season.

Louisiana-Monroe, FIU, UCF, and UTSA.