SiouxSports.com Forum

New AD posting and hiring process

SiouxVolley

23 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Did you even bother to look who was on the commitee? It isn't even close to a "committee of educators".

•         Tom DiLorenzo, Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
  •         Darcy Deutsch Cascaes, Women’s Basketball Letterwinner 1990-1993 and Women’s Basketball Assistant Coach 1995-1999
  •         Jill Cholewa, Entrepreneur, Volleyball Letterwinner and Chair of of the Women’s Athletic Leadership Council
  •         Dick Clay, Men’s and Women’s Cross Country Coach
  •         Scott Guldseth, practicing psychologist in the Twin Cities and all-time leading scorer in Men’s Basketball
  •         Lindsay Hathaway, President of Student Athletes Advisory Committee student-athlete, Softball
  •         Jody Hodgson, General Manager of the Ralph Engelstad Arena
  •         Sue Jeno, Associate Professor of Physical Therapy and Faculty Athletics Representative
  •         Peter Johnson, Interim Vice President for University & Public Affairs
  •         Kim Kenville, Professor of Aviation, Aerospace Graduate Programs Director, and Chair of the University Senate Intercollegiate Athletics Committee
  •         Erik Martinson, Assistant Athletics Director for Operations
  •         Tanner Rosendahl, Digital Marketing Manager
  •         Karla Stewart, Associate Vice President for Finance
  •         Reid Taubenheim, Vice President of Student Athletes Advisory Committee and student-athlete, Football
  •         Drew Wrigley, Senior Management Advisor for Sanford Health Systems, UND alum, and former Lieutenant Governor
  •         DeAnna Carlson Zink, CEO, UND Alumni Association & Foundation

Agreed.  However, I'd like to suggest UND never place Kim Kenville on another committee.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Did you even bother to look who was on the commitee? It isn't even close to a "committee of educators".

•         Darcy Deutsch Cascaes, Women’s Basketball Letterwinner 1990-1993 and Women’s Basketball Assistant Coach 1995-1999
  •         Jill Cholewa, Entrepreneur, Volleyball Letterwinner and Chair of of the Women’s Athletic Leadership Council
  •         Scott Guldseth, practicing psychologist in the Twin Cities and all-time leading scorer in Men’s Basketball
  •         Lindsay Hathaway, President of Student Athletes Advisory Committee student-athlete, Softball
  •         Sue Jeno, Associate Professor of Physical Therapy and Faculty Athletics Representative
  •         Kim Kenville, Professor of Aviation, Aerospace Graduate Programs Director, and Chair of the University Senate Intercollegiate Athletics Committee
  •         Reid Taubenheim, Vice President of Student Athletes Advisory Committee and student-athlete, Football
  •         Drew Wrigley, Senior Management Advisor for Sanford Health Systems, UND alum, and former Lieutenant Governor

I absolutely did. Committee of educators could have been better worded as a "typical UND committee". My point is when you get this many people in a room, quota's come out. Compare how an AD or head (FB,or bb) coach is selected at UND vs how they are at other Division I institutions. 

Committee was: Provost, VP's, FAR, a few community members, lower level athletic department person, one coach, couple of students. Stereotypical.

D1 AD

SWA - who her current school doesn't want

Bean counter who has a hockey background

Good Ole Boy networked internal candidate.

This is stereotypical of what a large committee process will produce for four finalist.

Other options is the decision maker grabs this process by the balls and know what he wants... He assembles a very small UND committee and goes to a hotel in Minneapolis to conduct off campus interviews  with 6 people that are in his mold.  But he meets them face to face. Consultant arranges all of it. Then bring his top 2 or 3 to campus for a dog and pony show if that is what is required. Maybe just top 1. That's what most D1 schools do to when they hire a consultant. I'm assuming Morton didn't apply. He probably didn't apply because UND is using old stereotypical processes vs how Michigan State would handle the same thing. 

15 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Agreed.  However, I'd like to suggest UND never place Kim Kenville on another committee.

Until she is no longer the chair of SIAC, good luck.

5 minutes ago, SiouxFallsSioux/Hawk said:

Other options is the decision maker grabs this process by the balls and know what he wants... He assembles a very small UND committee and goes to a hotel in Minneapolis to conduct off campus interviews  with 6 people that are in his mold.  But he meets them face to face. Consultant arranges all of it. Then bring his top 2 or 3 to campus for a dog and pony show if that is what is required. Maybe just top 1. That's what most D1 schools do to when they hire a consultant. I'm assuming Morton didn't apply. He probably didn't apply because UND is using old stereotypical processes vs how Michigan State would handle the same thing. 

You can't actually be serious? Being a state institution, that would violate about every hiring process required. The fact that the laws were changed to only have the finalists released was a pretty big victory.

But you tipped your hand on why you're so upset about the whole thing....

16 minutes ago, SiouxFallsSioux/Hawk said:

I absolutely did. Committee of educators could have been better worded as a "typical UND committee". My point is when you get this many people in a room, quota's come out. Compare how an AD or head (FB,or bb) coach is selected at UND vs how they are at other Division I institutions. 

Committee was: Provost, VP's, FAR, a few community members, lower level athletic department person, one coach, couple of students. Stereotypical.

One thing is for sure: You can't blame this on Kelley! :p

Why am I upset? Upset is too strong of word. I'm pointing out that I don't feel the process of using a large committee is the best method for selecting a Division I AD and that the method has caused us to have a pool that isn't as strong as it could be.  That's it. Has nothing to do with Morton not being in the group. I assumed he didn't apply because he would have been a person who checks many boxes for that committee. He must not have interviewed well?? 

What can't I be serious about? The process that most d1 schools use or something else in that paragraph?

And FWIW, i am very new to this board and enjoy the banter, but am not trying to "start" anything or have an ulterior motive other than what is best for UND and the athletic department.

Anyone that has been on any type of board or committee of significant relevance knows any number above 9 members become a complete s**t show. In my past experience on a local, state, regional and national level 7 members seems to be ideal.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SiouxFallsSioux/Hawk said:

Why am I upset? Upset is too strong of word. I'm pointing out that I don't feel the process of using a large committee is the best method for selecting a Division I AD and that the method has caused us to have a pool that isn't as strong as it could be.  That's it. Has nothing to do with Morton not being in the group. I assumed he didn't apply because he would have been a person who checks many boxes for that committee. He must not have interviewed well?? 

What can't I be serious about? The process that most d1 schools use or something else in that paragraph?

And FWIW, i am very new to this board and enjoy the banter, but am not trying to "start" anything or have an ulterior motive other than what is best for UND and the athletic department.

Fair enough. However with ND hiring and open record laws, there is absolutely zero chance for the process you described to happen. They hired a consulting firm just to be able to do a portion of what you described, including reaching out to potential candidates to judge interest. Not saying it's right or fair, it is just the way it is.

FWIW, NDSU had a committee of 10 (vs. 16 for UND) when they hired their AD a few years ago. The main difference was UND had a representative from the REA, a few well-respected former athletes and a couple extra operation level people, but the committee make up was pretty similar. The finalists they ended up with were: a G5 senior associate (who grew up in ND and went to college at Concordia), an internal candidate, a FCS senior associate and sitting AD at a small east coast D-1 school (that didn't have football).  Hard to say, in terms of resumes/titles, that at UND didn't draw candidates that are at minimum, on par. 

A President, much like any AD hiring "his" head coach, should be able to vet, interview and hand pick "his" AD without any committee.  

That's the way it SHOULD be.

But we all know how that would be viewed in the public eye if Kennedy had chose to go that route.

No win situation. Either way, someone will bitch about it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Fair enough. However with ND hiring and open record laws, there is absolutely zero chance for the process you described to happen. They hired a consulting firm just to be able to do a portion of what you described, including reaching out to potential candidates to judge interest. Not saying it's right or fair, it is just the way it is.

FWIW, NDSU had a committee of 10 (vs. 16 for UND) when they hired their AD a few years ago. The main difference was UND had a representative from the REA, a few well-respected former athletes and a couple extra operation level people, but the committee make up was pretty similar. The finalists they ended up with were: a G5 senior associate (who grew up in ND and went to college at Concordia), an internal candidate, a FCS senior associate and sitting AD at a small east coast D-1 school (that didn't have football).  Hard to say, in terms of resumes/titles, that at UND didn't draw candidates that are at minimum, on par. 

Chaves' resume blows Matt Larsen's out of the water.  The rest are probably on par.   

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

A President, much like any AD hiring "his" head coach, should be able to vet, interview and hand pick "his" AD without any committee.  

That's the way it SHOULD be.

But we all know how that would be viewed in the public eye if Kennedy had chose to go that route.

No win situation. Either way, someone will bitch about it.

How dare Kennedy make a decision on his own, does he think he is a dictator or something?!?

7 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

How dare Kennedy make a decision on his own, does he think he is a dictator or something?!?

I agree with you. However can you think of any decision a president or AD has made recently without input that hasn't actually had that exact reaction? That reaction is why UND keeps ending up with all these committees that try to be inclusive.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I agree with you. However can you think of any decision a president or AD has made recently without input that hasn't actually had that exact reaction? That reaction is why UND keeps ending up with all these committees that try to be inclusive.

So now we get this committee of 16 voices?   I'd be more inclined to trust Kennedy and Kennedy alone on this one (even though that's not even plausible).

3 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Geez that's a big committee. Are they picking a new nickname too?

3 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Any committee consisting of more than 7 people is asking for trouble.

You cant even get 7 people to agree on what kind of pizza to order.

Probably why we ended up with a little bit of everything in the 4 finalists.  Chavez (meatlovers), Elliot (gluten-free pineapple), Mannausau (pepperoni), and Porter (cheese).

• Upvote 1

Can you put any stake into the order of on campus visits?

- Jan. 7, Gorecki Gransberg Room - Monty Porter
- Jan. 8, Energy & Environmental Research Center Discovery Hall - Mike Mannausau
- Jan. 9, Gorecki Gransberg Room - Kellie Elliott
- Jan. 10, Gorecki Gransberg Room - Bill Chaves

6 minutes ago, homer said:

- Jan. 8, Energy & Environmental Research Center Discovery Hall - Mike Mannausau

I'm more curious about the location change for Mannausau.

15 minutes ago, homer said:

Reverse alphabetical order?

• Upvote 1