SiouxSports.com Forum

New AD posting and hiring process

SiouxVolley

Am I incorrect?  I thought the Champions Club set a new all time mark as far as dollars raised last year.  And essentially have been one upping themselves every year for quite some time now.  The way some people make it sound on here is that UND  has been missing the mark horribly in raising dollars for athletics, repeatedly.  

If anything Mr. Chaves must be thrilled to arrive an at an institution, where there has been a proven track record of not only setting and reaching goals when it comes to club fundraising, but often times surpassing them, where in comparison the institution that he arrives from (EWU) has had, and continues to have significant struggles in that area.  

I'm as excited as the next person that he is here, but I don't see our fundraising  as an apocalyptic issue that has been hanging over Athletics as others do I guess.   

5 hours ago, the green team said:

just Am I incorrect?  I thought the Champions Club set a new all time mark as far as dollars raised last year.  And essentially have been one upping themselves every year for quite some time now.  The way some people make it sound on here is that UND  has been missing the mark horribly in raising dollars for athletics, repeatedly.  

If anything Mr. Chaves must be thrilled to arrive an at an institution, where there has been a proven track record of not only setting and reaching goals when it comes to club fundraising, but often times surpassing them, where in comparison the institution that he arrives from (EWU) has had, and continues to have significant struggles in that area.  

I'm as excited as the next person that he is here, but I don't see our fundraising  as an apocalyptic issue that has been hanging over Athletics as others do I guess.   

Yes, the CC has continued to grow but that is a necessity.  The ND legislature provides less funding for higher education and college athletics than most other states*.  That would obviously mean that to compete with other DI schools, we need to raise more than many others just to be on the same playing field (no pun intended).  Some of our expenses are going to be significantly higher than others due to GF's rather remote and unpopulated location (recruiting costs, team travel, etc.).  Tuition and room & board costs rise every year so the budget needs to increase annually just to break even.  We all know that we are paying our coaches and assistants (in most all sports) less (in may cases, much less) than they would make at others schools.  

The above are facts but in no way hints "that UND has been missing the mark".  However, most all programs (probably not hockey) are lacking in some significant areas due to budget  constraints. 

As GFH pointed out, Team Makers raise enough funds annually to cover the costs of all NDSU athletic scholarships.  Despite the continued growth of CC, we are far from covering all of our scholarships.  If we can get there, that would free up $1M or so for salaries and all the things needed by each program.    

Chaves is happy to be at UND but fully understands that additional $ are needed for our sports to improve to the level that we are  competing for a conference title on a consistent basis.

* I will try to find the statistics to confirm this statement.  I will post them here when I have them.

23 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

Yes, the CC has continued to grow but that is a necessity.  The ND legislature provides less funding for higher education and college athletics than most other states*.  That would obviously mean that to compete with other DI schools, we need to raise more than many others just to be on the same playing field (no pun intended).  Some of our expenses are going to be significantly higher than others due to GF's rather remote and unpopulated location (recruiting costs, team travel, etc.).  Tuition and room & board costs rise every year so the budget needs to increase annually just to break even.  We all know that we are paying our coaches and assistants (in most all sports) less (in may cases, much less) than they would make at others schools.  

The above are facts but in no way hints "that UND has been missing the mark".  However, most all programs (probably not hockey) are lacking in some significant areas due to budget  constraints. 

As GFH pointed out, Team Makers raise enough funds annually to cover the costs of all NDSU athletic scholarships.  Despite the continued growth of CC, we are far from covering all of our scholarships.  If we can get there, that would free up $1M or so for salaries and all the things needed by each program.    

Chaves is happy to be at UND but fully understands that additional $ are needed for our sports to improve to the level that we are  competing for a conference title on a consistent basis.

* I will try to find the statistics to confirm this statement.  I will post them here when I have them.

http://www.sheeo.org/sites/default/files/SHEF_FY2017.pdf - Page 27 doesn't support this.

35 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

Thanks for posting this - interesting!  It might be a day or two before I can get to my source - you may be correct.  If so, some folks who should know better are sharing some incorrect information!

If it was broken down by campus, it may paint a different picture.  Having so many small campuses in North Dakota inflates our numbers, as they lack the economies of scale.

• 4 months later...

https://fightinghawks.com/news/2018/8/14/general-ad-mannausau-takes-on-new-role-with-alumni-association-foundation.aspx

The University of North Dakota Athletics Department and UND Alumni Association & Foundation jointly announced today that Associate Athletics Director/Major Gifts Mike Mannausau has been named Vice President of Development, Major Gifts, for the University.

• Upvote 1

The University of North Dakota Athletics Department and UND Alumni Association & Foundation jointly announced today that Associate Athletics Director/Major Gifts Mike Mannausau has been named Vice President of Development, Major Gifts, for the University.

Shouldn't there be some wailing and gnashing of teeth over the University adding another VP? Sackcloth? Ashes? Anyone? 

Pretty sure he'll still be employed by the Alumni Foundation, however his focus will be on gifts "for the University" not "for Athletics" like it previously was. Awkward wording with his title and how they worded it.

Separate but semi-related subject: Didn't realize how many people actually work for the Alumni Foundation. Quite a few more than I would have thought.